Rotary Cutter Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower?

/ Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower? #1  

Hill Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Belarus 825, for now.
I've been daydreaming about a new tractor again and one of my main tasks will be mowing rough ground. When I purchase a tractor I want one well suited to pull a 15' flex wing mower. Should I spec 2 or 3 hydraulic valves for this? My uncle has 3, with the valve for each wing in the float position. This allows him to pick up either or both wings to clear obstructions. If I only had two valves, and that is what I see the most of, does it just pick up both wings together or one and then the other with no choice on which wing goes up first?
While I'm on the subject, is a 75 PTO HP a good minimum to consider? The mowing is not that thick, mostly briars, persimmon shoots, and ragweed along with fescue and sage grass. However the terrain is hilly and rough. Speed is not really an issue it's rough enough to make a guy want to go slow.

/ Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower? #2  
It will work with 2, 3 gives you individual control or you can go with a diverter and 2 to get you that individual control. I would get the 3 OEM sets. I would say that you would be good with the 75hp at the PTO. ;)

/ Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower? #3  
Id say 75hp PTO would be plenty for sure,all those gearboxes and transfering power to belts and blades do eat horsepower.

/ Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower? #4  
A lot of manufactures are building 12ft flex wings these days that run much better on lower hp tractors. I wouldn't want anything less than 80hp at the pto running a 15ft.

/ Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower? #5  
Keep in mind the weight of the mower vs the weight of the tractor can be an issue depending on how steep your hills are. I'm here to tell you sliding backward while the wheels turn forward is no fun..

I run a 15' mower with two sets of valves. Does it work fine? Yes. Do I wish I had bought three sets of valves? Yes.

I'm sure 75 hp will work for most, for me it would not.

/ Hydraulic hookup for flex wing mower?
Thanks for the replies. I'm mowing with a heavy duty 104'' offset 3PH cutter now, but would love to be able to step up to the 15' down the road. Then again, with a nicer tractor the time spent mowing with the smaller machine would be more enjoyable. Hard to beat the flex wing for uneven ground and getting under trees though.