Loader Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463

/ Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463 #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
hey folks,
I have a problem with my FEL and it is impacted the whole tractor as it is an HST.

The loader starts with only very slow lift and lower function and that impacts forward and reverse movement.

After researching here, I found the ideas here:
FEL Wont Dump. - TractorByNet.com

So I tried disconnecting all the QDs and reconnecting, it seemed to work but then came back.

During a test drive, I attempted to use the loader and it started fine.
And then it got slow, now I heard a hissing sound.
It appeared to come from the spool valve.
Jiggling the valve stopped the hissing and restored the normal function.

So now the question is how does that black plastic cover come off of the spool valve?

It was cold out there, so I did not spend alot of time looking, but a screw was not obvious...

what do yall think?

thanks in advance!

J

/ Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463
FYI---
I am at 340 hours, fluid is normal...
Dump works fine, only lift is a problem and 3 PH is fine too...

/ Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463 #4  
For the black cover two (maybe three??) bolts from below, on the outside of the tractor. The two bolts on the inside is for the locking mechanism.

For the black cover two (maybe three??) bolts from below, on the outside of the tractor. The two bolts on the inside is for the locking mechanism.

I'm going to take this apart and see what I can find... But it will be tomorrow afternoon...

J

/ Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463 #7  
You said you tried disconnecting the QD's and reconnecting and the problem went away but then came back right?

Did you try the QD's AGAIN at that point?

If not, try it whenever their is a problem. If it goes away and comes back, it is probabally the QD's that are wore out. And any time it builds a good amount of pressure, like lifting something heavy or going over bumps, it could be unseating them. But just raising and lowering the FEL might not be building enough PSI to unseat them.

Other than that, I havent a clue. I have not had any problems out of mine. Not even any issues with the QD's that seem so common.

/ Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463 #8  
I have had no problems with mine, but by logic, it would seem you have found the problem with the QD's. especially if the problem is repeatable, Like LD1 said. And can be solved by disconnection and reconnection. The next step is to narrow it down further by just doing one connection, then test at a time. Then replace. But of course there is always the possibility that the disconnection and reconnection is causing some other failure/repair mechanism to manifest itself. But I sure would start there. Again this is not first hand experience or knowledge speaking here just normal "divide and conquer" Logic to solving any sort of problem.

James K0UA

/ Hydraulic issues, ideas?- L3400-LA463 #9  
k0ua kinda reminded me, but I forgot to ask...

when you are having the issues with the slow FEL, does it affect the curl circuit?? If it does not, then you can rule out them QD's.

But incase you didn't know, an issue with up AND down movement of the FEL can be caused by only 1 QD. IE: it doesn't mean both sets are bad. If only one is bad, say the one that raises the FEL, it will affect the lowering too because fluid is flowing through both QD's at the same time. When you are raising or lowering, fluid has to flow through one set and return through the other.

Ok..

Here is where we are:

When I disconnected the QDs last night, that was the FIRST time in 3 years they have EVER been disconnected!!!!
So I doubt they can be worn out...
That should rule that problem out.

As for load-- when I went down the drive and reproduced it last night I pushed a little dirt and tried to lift a full bucket of wet dirt.. and it happened again.. I dumped it, jiggled the load joystick and it stopped the hissing.
It was dark and I just figured it would wait...
PLUS it was about 34 degress and I was not dressed to be there long...

The symptons beyond hissing were very low power to the wheels- A hill I generally take in mid-range on the HST was nearly impossible, and the bucket went up and down VERY slowly.. when the hissing stopped all returned to normal...

Got home from Church this afternoon and decided to take off the plastic cover and see what I could see... (thanks to TEG for a bit of info here)... NOTHING was obvious....

So I took her for a spin... Lifted 4 heaping buckets of dirt, and lifted a rock that had previously been a bit tough to lift... ALL was fine.

Came back to the house and I noticed a small 3 inch or so spot of liquid on the carport floor... Found a small oil leak on the pan. And this is where I remember a really ambigous entry in the owners manual...
In there is lists how to check the oil on the wide part of the dipstick between 2 lines. My dipstick just has the 2 holes in it.

It was about halfway between the holes.. I remember the shop mechanic telling me that it should be halfway or higher... up to the top hole...
Anyone want to say different???

I put it back togather and came in to study for an exam for work I have Tuesday...
UGG--- Certification tests! and of course I waited until the last minute to take it.... only have 100 questions and 2 hours to take it Tuesday....

Got 2 more after this one..... But I have 3 weeks for those and they are only ~50 questions each...

thanks to all for the advice and information...
I'll post more later if I have more problems..

I'm beginning to wonder if it was a cold temp problem.....

J