Hydraulic Leak at Lift Arm

/ Hydraulic Leak at Lift Arm #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
This is not the usual "Leak Down" that people have had problems with at their 3ph lift arms where over time they will slowly leak down. I noticed yesterday that my tractor was leaving a spot of oil near the rear when it had been parked. It appeared to be near the left side of the 3pt hitch. I placed a piece of cardboard under this area overnight and, sure enough, there was a spot the next day! Today I looked under there. I saw one drop which appeared to be coming from the insertion point (on the tractor) of the 3ph left lift arm. I've had a slow hydraulic leaks before but they have usually been from a loose hose fitting which is easily fixed. I've never seen this problem before. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I have had the lift arms in the lowest position when I parked it and noticed this. Tonight I parked it with the lift arms raised and put another piece of cardboard under it. I kinda doubt this is going to make any difference. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

/ Hydraulic Leak at Lift Arm #2  
I don't know much about your orange machine.. but on many tractors, those 3pt lift pins are mounted into the axle trumpet with a large castelated nut, and are either taper fit.. or have a gasket.. and if they start leaking.. it usually menas they have come loose.

Not saying yors is or isn't.. etc.

if it's only a drip a day.. I'm not sure I'd loose any sleep over it, after i tookt he arm off and looke dthe pin over to make sure it wasn't damaged or loose.. or that the casting wasn't damaged.. etc.

heck.. it it is just a slow seep 1/drip /night. i'd take the arm off, and then clean with carb / brake cleane rthe entire area, after locating where the oil is seeping from, then I'd mix up some 4 minute jb weld and put a smear there, allow to cure, sand down a pit, and then slap back together... probably never leak again..

soundguy

/ Hydraulic Leak at Lift Arm #3  
Chuck,
You're saying the leak or drop of oil is coming from where the lower lift arms are attached to the tractor, right? If that's correct, that attachment is usually only a pin or a shaft going through the housing, to which the drag links slip over. So there is no oil of any kind there ... assuming yours are like I've described. Mine has a shaft like that. If the leak generates right from there, then you're looking at a possible crack in the housing, but I doubt that.
Probably, there's a drip leak form somewhere above and it's ending up down there.

/ Hydraulic Leak at Lift Arm
Thanks Soundguy! They do mount into the axle trumpet. There's so much gunk on there I can't tell if they have a gasket or are just tapered. I'll have to clean it off and see. It's more than just one drip per night. I have a "spot" about the size of a fist over a few hours. Could it be that I just need to tighten the nut?

3RRL said:
Probably, there's a drip leak form somewhere above and it's ending up down there.

I thought about that. And, the more I think about it, the more I bet you're right. I guess I'm going to have to just clean that area really well and do some investigative work.

/ Hydraulic Leak at Lift Arm #6  
Once you get it cleaned up, post back.

If it is intot he trumpet, many times you can only tighten it back up from the back of the trumpet ( and you know what that menas! )

soundguy

Okay, just a little update for others' benefit. I cleaned the 1 inch of grit and grime off the rear of my tractor finally. The leak appears to be coming from one of the rear remote valve connectors. It was so loose I could wiggle it! That thing was near ready to fall off! And that's the one I usually have the hydraulic lift for my brush cutter attached. Tightened it up. I could guarantee the problem is solved now!

RickB said:
Now check the oil level.

Already done. It's okay. I've checked it each time I use the tractor due to this "leak". But, like I said, it's an incredibly slooowww leak. Just a few drops every hour. But I think that the hydraulic oil all over my PTO and rear differential was what had contributed to all that gunk on there. It had never been that dirty!