Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor

/ Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Howdy, I’m almost done building a chicken tractor for the wife and I need to decide on how to lift the chicken tractor onto its rear wheels. I’m debating between a hydraulic lift system or one using trailer jacks.

My question is: Is it possible to have a single manual hydraulic pump operate two cylinders simultaneously? Thinking of something like a hydraulic floor jack that you pump with a lever and it extends two cylinders. I believe I only need single stage cylinders, one on each side.

Coop is an Amish made structure, 6 x 12’ and weighs probably 1500lbs. Trailer hitch on front to be lifted by tractor 3pt and moved around like a trailer.

Will provide more pics of lift mechanism as I near completion.

Thanks!

IMG_1942.JPGIMG_1956.JPG

/ Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor #3  
I wouldn't worry about any uneven lifting you might get from simply plumbing two hydraulic cylinders together. You're only going to be lifting it what, 10" at most? Even if one side fully actuated before the other started to even move, I don't think it would tip it enough to matter. If you have rear remotes on your tractor, I'd just figure out how to attach two vertical cylinders to the back corners with feet on them, plumb them together, and run some long hoses up to the hitch to connect to the tractor. Keep it simple for all the more it is.

/ Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor #4  
You only need one cylinder - put the wheels on a common axle and attach the cylinder to a lever that rotates the axle to put the wheels in contact with the ground. A simple hydraulic jack could be used for this. However, with what you have already, why do you need any hydraulics? If you put the wheels at the back just barely in contact with the ground, when you lift the front, it will put the wheels in contact with the ground and lift the whole coop. You'll probably need to lower the tongue and put a trailer tongue jack there to lift it.

/ Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor
I wouldn't worry about any uneven lifting you might get from simply plumbing two hydraulic cylinders together. You're only going to be lifting it what, 10" at most? Even if one side fully actuated before the other started to even move, I don't think it would tip it enough to matter. If you have rear remotes on your tractor, I'd just figure out how to attach two vertical cylinders to the back corners with feet on them, plumb them together, and run some long hoses up to the hitch to connect to the tractor. Keep it simple for all the more it is.

That’s my eventual goal is to plumb the cylinders into rear remotes but for now I’m still using a 1952 Ford 8N without rear remotes. Planning on getting a new L3560/4060 within the next year or two depending on finances.

/ Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor #6  
One or two trailer jacks would be a lot simpler and much less expensive than hydraulic anything. Heck, linear actuators and a battery and a solar panel to charge it would cost less than a hand hydraulic pump and cylinders and you could use the battery to power lights.

Edit- thinking some more you could also make a mechanism to lift the rear with leverage (i.e. a long tube that fits in a socket) or a hand winch. You're only lifting 750 lbs 10".

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor #8  
Electric linear actuators won't solve the uneven lifting issue btw. If one has more load on it, it will lift slower than the other, just like hydraulic cylinders.

/ Hydraulic Lift for Chicken Tractor #9  
First, a nice looking Chicken Coop !

Second, Novice here... !

The biggest problem is the room needed for the lift mechanism, and just how heavy duty is needed.

What about... if the Wheel System is for moving the Coop around the Yard, and the tire size is not the biggest problem, then what IF you only had Stationary Positioned, Removable Wheels.
If the Wheels are a little smaller than car size, Lift the front end with the FEL, slip in the wheels in place, lower the Coop on the wheels, and move the Coop, "reverse the process when you have the Coop in place". LoL !
AND dependent on IF the land is level and you don't have far to move it, you could have removable skids... ! Just thinking out loud again !

Ltr

Thanks for the replies. I’m already committed to the wheels and their positioning since I already bought the steel, wheels, spindles, bearings, etc. and I’ve already fabricated some components. I’ll take more pics and provide them so that you guys can see how it’s coming together and help me make the final decision on how it’s going to be lifted.

I considered trailer jacks but then I’d have to do a lot of hand cranking for both up and down and then also on both sides if I used two. Still an option, just thinking through it.

This thing has to be moved once a week with a Ford 8N with no rear remotes or loader. I have a ball hitch setup on the 3pt.

Chicken tractor v1.0 is below, this is chicken tractor v2.0.

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0100.JPG