Hydraulic Oil Temp.

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #1  

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
For no good reason other than I wanted too. I added a temperature indicator to the Hydraulic reservoir. I figured if I knew what normal was I might be able to figure out when things weren't normal. I used a digital probe that fits quite nicely in the hole for the dip stick. The probe comes with a rubber boot that provides a reasonable seal (could be better) with the oil tube. Temperature range is -40 to 300 deg F. The display slips in the depression in the plastic moulding for the dip stick, out of the way of your feet. The probe depth into the hydro fluid could be more but seems to work just fine. I'm sure at some tractor angle the probe will not be in the fluid. This is the link to the probe I purchased:

http://www.qasupplies.com/2001025.html

Al

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #2  
Al,

Yep, you're an engineer. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Have you run your tractor much since you added the probe to see what type of temperatures you are running? Any surprises?

Rob

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp.
<font color=blue>Yep, you're an engineer. </font color=blue> How did you know I drove a train??

<font color=blue>Have you run your tractor much since you added the probe?</font color=blue>

No, not really. I have done a little loader work and some relatively aggressive backhoe work . I recall a post by Bird some time ago, that in his quest for the elusive 2710 steering problem he ran hard for about an hour and measured 210 deg F. Some people have all the tools i.e Extech clamp meter with temperature probe /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. I have seen about a 20 deg F rise above ambient during warmup and about 70 deg F rise running the hoe for about an hour.

I'm really not that sure if a problem were to develop, hydraulic temp would provide an early indictation. There is nearly 10 gallons in the reservoir of the B21. Maybe Mark or other might provide some thoughts.

Al

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #4  
I was told that hyd oil temp runs 100 degrees hotter than your preasent air temp is. If it's 80 degrees the hyd oil should be 180 degrees. from what I was told this is normal.
fact of ficton?

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #5  
Dana, I asked the owner of one Kubota dealership what was the "normal" hydraulic oil temperature and at what temperature you should worry about it, and he said, "I don't know; if it doesn't discolor the paint, we don't worry about it."/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Bird

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #6  
After two hours of hard digging, I pulled out a five trunk cluster stump of maple. While I don't know what the temperature of the oil was, but the backhoe's cylinders were just warm to the touch. What are you guys doing to raise the oil temperature that high?

Matthew

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp.
mlmartin,

This is what Bird was doing:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=buykubota&Number=58219&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=steering temperature&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=57751

I was doing pretty much like you working the hoe reasonably hard. This seems consistent with what DDT stated and what Bird measured, about a 100 Deg F rise.

When I have some better numbers for how the B21 performs I will post them. I suspect the reservoir capacity may have a strong influence on the Hydraulic fluid temperature.

Al

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #8  
Matthew
I think most of us have HST transmissions./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Even with coolers will run the oil hotter than just hydraulic valves and power steering./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I'm guessing that a 870 has a gear transmission.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp.
Dana
<font color=blue>I was told that hyd oil temp runs 100 degrees hotter than your preasent air temp is. from what I was told this is normal. fact of ficton?</font color=blue>

I think that is pretty much right on, at least for my tractors (B21 & B7500). Normal continious operation ~ 90 deg F.

Rob,
<font color=blue>Have you run your tractor much since you added the probe to see what type of temperatures you are running? Any surprises?</font color=blue>

Mowing for 2 hours with the B7500 brought the temperature to 157 deg F, air temperature was 65 deg F. Continous front loader work on the B21 showed a rise above ambient of 90 deg F. I was surprized how quickly the HST oil warmed up. 10 to 15 minutes of operation the temp comes up 20 to 25 deg F.

Al

/ Hydraulic Oil Temp. #10  
The thermometer is a great idea. We use them in all our industrial gear boxes. We also have high temp alarms that go back to the control room.

A stupid question, but how do you make the text blue in your posts?

Jrpoux