Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid?

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid?
Dealer sent me the manual. No mention of sealant and no description as to what types of threads.

Attachments

• DKA144.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 109
   / Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #12  
The need for pipe sealant in hydraulics is always dependent on the design of the fitting. What kind of fittings do you have?

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #13  
Only fitting that need sealants are tapered thread fittings (NPT and variations).... Any straight thread fitting uses either metal to metal contact or some sort of taper & flair or sealing washer/gasket/"O" Ring...

Personally I hate PTFE tape, never had any great success getting it to seal.....

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #14  
Dealer sent me the manual. No mention of sealant and no description as to what types of threads.

THE image of fitting from your file indicate two different types of fittings.... One set of tapered fittings (Yellow Arrow) and one set of taper to flair fitting (Blue Arrow) possibly JIC fitting...

Yellow arrow fitting (tapered?) will most likely require a sealer..
Blue arrow fitting (JIC or will not require any sealer...

Screenshot 2022-11-23 081655.jpg

Attachments

• thread_guide.pdf
    303.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #15  
Installed my DKA144 3rd function valve kit per the instructions and I have leaks. The directions say noting about using teflon tape or threadlock. I have leaks however. Got the hoses and couples threaded together pretty tight. Not really sure what is going on though. Was I supposed to use some teflon tape or threadlock? This video(at 21:38) he adds it but at the very end of the thread so it won't be anywhere near the hydraulic fluid flow.

Here is the diagram of the kit. Sorry it is a bit pixelated. Hard time find info online.

View attachment 771260
I would NOT use any thread locking sealer. They have thread sealers specifically for this.

My favorite is blue monster. I have a friend who is the head mechanic in a fuel farm. The farm is over water and stores millions of gallons. Blue monster is the only no fail sealer he uses.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #16  
Only fitting that need sealants are tapered thread fittings (NPT and variations
Some NPT hydraulic fittings use a tapered center section and dont actualy use the threads to seal.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #17  
Some NPT hydraulic fittings use a tapered center section and dont actualy use the threads to seal.
Can you show me a example, because image below is what I am referring to as NPT (tapered pipe thread)....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-23 123815.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-23 123815.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #18  
   / Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #19  
True, but its not same fitting as I am referring to... It's NPT (by its own definition) on one side and swivel on other..... Different animal....
The NPT side should have some sort of seal while swivel side does no require it as to type of connection....

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #20  
That's why I said it depends on the fitting. Those are NPT threads.