Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hi all,

Its been a long time since I’ve posted but I have a question I just can’t find anywhere else. Due to some circumstances, the possibility of inheriting a substantial amount of land in snow county is a remote but real possibility. If we were to ever move there we would definitely need a snowblower.

At present I own a JD 2038r, but I would likely upgrade to something like a 4066r with a cab. The ideal setup that I would want to have for snow removal (it’s a long driveway) would be a FEL mounted snowblower and a hydraulic actuated 3pt rear blade.

So my basic question is about getting hydraulic power to the FEL snowblower. The 4066r has 11gpm available for implements, but the blowers need something like 20 at a minimum and 40 is preferable. I know that there are rear PTO pumps, but they all seem to stop at 20 GPM.

Cheyenne Mfg has a blower with a PTO pump that claims to have a “T” to the regular power beyond system to boost the GPM rating. Are these PTO pumps, especially ones that feed back into the regular hydraulic circuit for real! Would they damage the hydraulics (as in too much flow). Also, could I still use the 3pt hitch and hydraulic controls for a rear blade? Am I missing something altogether?

At the moment this is mostly a thought exercise, but that possibility of moving, though remote, does exist and I am just wondering how I could set up such a FEL snowblower.

thanks in advance,

SI2305

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower
So, where is "snow county" and how much might they receive there?
Western Minnesota, and depending on the year, blizzards can easily dump 18” of snow, but drifts can get as tall as buildings or hedgerows. Though not the normal, I have seen 20’ deep drifts. I was thinking that the FEL blower could really help to take apart tall drifts.

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower #4  
Have a link?

You can't add that much pump capacity and not increase the sump volume to help dissipate heat.

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower #6  

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower #7  
Your fooling yourself if you think that is a good idea. If you want to use that blower put it on a skid steer like it was meant for

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower #8  
Lots of self contained units get added to front end loaders here. :unsure: Seen here is a municipal unit.
Snowgo up close Jan (DL) 2010.jpg

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower #9  
Information on the Sheyenne websites pretty vague and raises a few questions for me and I question ability of drawing 15 GPM out of a CUT sump without cavitation.

I did not see any hydraulic circuit but is this running a semi-closed loop where the pump inlet is connected to the tractor sump and also to return from snowblower motor? In doing this once the lines for the blower are full very little oil is drawn from the reservoir but you now have a concern for the loop oil temperature. Not a common practice but does work if designed properly.

/ Hydraulic power for FEL mounted snowblower
Oldnslo,

I agree, the website is lacking. I have seen a number of adds for PTO hydraulic pumps with no obvious fluid sump. I saw a video of this blower suggesting that one just connects the pump to the power beyond (I think), plug in the blower hydraulic connectors, pull on the PTO and the blower starts. I am not just accepting this hook, line and sinker which is why I am posting here. But I am curious if this is even feasible and especially if anyone has actually used this type of setup.

A FEL mounted snowblower sounds ideal for blowing out deep snowdrifts, but I really want to know what I am getting into well before I commit.