Hydraulic Press

/ Hydraulic Press #11  
The difference between buying a HF and building your own is the HF will barely handle the strength of the jack/ ram. When pushed near it's limit the HF will flex some. I don't think you can damage it but never the less it still flexes. Maybe welding the bolted connections might help and if needed adding bracing. If you are going to build your own I wouldn't use a jack. Pick up a hydraulic cylinder (like Enerpac) and make it slide from side to side so you can tackle odd shaped projects.

/ Hydraulic Press #12  
Didn't build it, bought it at an auction about 28 years ago for $75. 30 ton jack in a 40 ton frame.

I fastened the castors to two 2x12's and bolted them to the frame.

P4130001c.jpg

Put a knob on the valve :thumbsup:

P4130001cc (Small).jpg

/ Hydraulic Press #13  
Put a knob on the valve

Xfaxman, I think I copied your knob idea to use on the jack on my drill press last year. Thanks!

image-4056194711.png

Terry

/ Hydraulic Press #14  
Put a knob on the valve

Xfaxman, I think I copied your knob idea to use on the jack on my drill press last year. Thanks!

--------------

Terry

You are welcome, yep I have posted it before.

/ Hydraulic Press #15  
Here's my 35 ton. I made it so I can bolt in small die sets and use it as a punch press.

Press.jpg

/ Hydraulic Press #16  
A lot of good ideas here keep them coming I'm better at copying than inventing.

/ Hydraulic Press #18  
Thanks guys ,that gives me some ideas and advice .

I just searched both the Canadian Tire, and Princess Auto websites, for a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack shop press.
I am astonished that neither seems to sell a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack press.
They are cheap ($220 - $300), and available everywhere in the US.
Is there some CSA regulation that prevents the use of a 20 ton bottle jack in a press?
I am thinking that there must be.