Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
In the post Front mounted mower for a CUT - can it be done?, it was suggested to use a hydraulic motor on the mower and put a hydraulic pump on the PTO. My Boomer has 25 HP at the PTO. How big of a finish mower and brush mower (rotary cutter) would I be able to run with it after considering the power loss from converting from PTO to hydraulic and then back to PTO? Where does a guy buy these types of pumps and motors?

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #2  
Danny

Try this site. www.baileynet.com They have lots of hydraulic equipment and you'll probably recognize the name once you get there.

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #3  
Danny,
If I was going to do what your wanting to do, I would look into what NH has available for your tractor in Canada or Europe. I know with my tractor, you can get a pto shaft that goes from the mid pto to a support brg then to the mower on the front of the tractor.

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #4  
That's what I am thinking. If they do offer one then I think that would be the way to go. I can get a 1:1 ratio 2000 rpm rated gearbox for just over $100.00. Turn it to the rear of a finish mower and mount it to either the FEL arms or the bumper.

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #5  
<font color="blue"> Turn it to the rear of a finish mower and mount it to either the FEL arms or the bumper. </font>

If Mosey is going to use a driveshaft, he'd probably want the mower mounted to the frame and not the FEL. I, personally, would probably lift the FEL by accident and run the driveshaft up into the frame. If he wants it mounted on the FEL, I'd go with hydraulic drive.

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #6  
Mosey,
Here's a link to a discussion last year on 3PT to hydraulic adapter. It talks about several adapters.

Here's a link to one made by Wide Range.

Here's a link to the PTO pumps at surplus center.

Here's a link to the PTO pumps at bailey's .

As to how big of a mower they could run, I guess it depends on the hydraulic GPM@ how many PSI the pump will be putting out. I run a 4' brush hog from Power Trac at 8GPM @ 2500PSI. It is a beast with plenty of power. And that is off of a 25HP kohler. I believe you will get considerably more out of your PTO powered pump if run from your TC29D. It would appear that your current 5' hog will run just fine... I just don't have any experience with a converter to say it definately would. Maybe someone else will chime in. Some of the skid steer folks might know.

Hope this helps.

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower
Thanks for all the links and info! I've got some reading to do ... Sounds like I might be on to something though!

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #8  
A skid steer quick attach on your FEL and then you're in business. You can switch buckets, forks, that adapter for PTO to hydraulic, then a mower... all kinds of options... you may get that perfect tractor after all! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Hydraulic pump and motor for a mower #9  
Bobcat does it. They offer a hydraulic drive "Brushcat" rotary mower. It fits thier quick detach system, and plugs into the auxillary hydraulics. Pretty much all of thier tractors have hydraulic ports on the loader arms to run the multitude of attachments they have available.

The trick would be putting the quick detach mounts on your loader arms. Put the other half on a mower, loader buckets ect. Run your PTO driven auxillary hydraulic lines up to the loader arms.

thier rotary mower runs off the 14-15gpm available on skid steers like the 753 and 763.

Bobcat makes a TLB now, the B100/200/300 series. All the normal attachments and hydraulics found on thier skidsteers are on the TLB. I used a B250 last week. The four wheel steer was nice! It was easy to detach things from the loader arms. It also totally out manuevered the Kubota L35TLB we used a few days before; the backhoe controls were much smoother too.