hydraulic steel lines DIY?

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
I am in the process of planning of adding on a single spool made from prince to my BX24. My problem is the limited amount of space to place the valve. I have come to a conclusion that to give it a clean look, I think I want to use steel tubing like the kind that came with my BX hydraulic system.

My problem is that when I try to do a search here or google, there seems to be NO sources for steel lines strong enough for hydraulics. Once I do locate the lines, how do I bend it? HF pipe bender ? sand in tube and bend by hand or in vise? what do you guys recommend? I am not talking about anything more then 2 ft. there is a couple places where it will only be 6 inchs max in length, but I can use a longer piece and bend shape I need and then cut to length.

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #3  
Radioman:

The fittings Kennyd mentions work well, but they are fairly long so it is difficult to use them in close quarters. And they come in a limited range of adapters. I used them on one project, but then I changed to the "Convert-A-Flare Tube Nut" at Discound Hydraulic Hose ( it is under the JIC 37deg flare section of the catalog, not the tubing section). The tube nut (and related ferrule) lets you connect tubing directly to any JIC male flare. I have one installation that is four years old and has never given a problem.

The smaller tubing (1/4, 3/8) can be bent by hand over a round mold (3" pipe for example) with no special tools. I think the larger sizes(1/2 and up) probably require a steel tubing bender to keep them from collapsing (though filling them with sand and sealing the ends might work).

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY?
thanks kennyd- that is a better site then the ones I looked at. Funny how my search did show that site yet. farmerford- thanks, thats the advice I needed.;) I think Ill be going with 3/8 size to match ones that is on the BX now, not sure. I am not sure if the hydraulic steel lines is measured by ID or OD.

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #5  
Funny how my search did show that site yet.

Don't feel out in the cold, when I built my FEL 4 yrs ago I really wanted to use hard lines and did a great deal of Googling for them and didn't find a single supplier. I would assume that they are measured by I.D. like hoses. I appreciate the link also KennyD

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #6  
It has been my experance tubing is measured on the O.D and
pipe on the I.D
Google "team tube", south of chicago area. I got a length of 3/4" and some 7/8" Hyd tube from them for my back hoe. - nice to deal with, I didn't have anything to compair prices with so can't speak for that.

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #7  
Probably a stupid question but why can't you use break lines ??? I searched the posts and couldn't find the answer..

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #8  
Kernopelli and Ol George are correct: steel tube is referenced by actual OD, while steel pipe is referenced by nominal ID. So Discount Hose's 3/8" flare nuts and ferrules will work on any (quality) steel 3/8" tube designed for fluid transmission. Since tube is referenced by actual OD, the ID is smaller by twice the wall thickness. So 3/8 tube with a 0.035" wall has only a 0.305" ID. Hose is also referenced by (approximately) actual dimensions, but they are ID. So the ID of 3/8 hose is larger than the ID of 3/8 tube, but unless you are making a long run at flow in the 7gpm or so range, the additional pressure loss of 3/8 tube over 3/8 hose is negligible.

I usually get my tube from McMaster Carr. Their prices are reasonble, they sell shorter pieces, and they offer one day delivery from Atlanta to my place in Columbus.

Good luck. Send us a picture.

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #9  
I have used brake line available @ auto parts stores,
5/16" and 3/8"-- I double flair them unless I use parker Hyd. fittings that are equipped with the sleeve in the nut
I don't know what the max rated pressure is,
but I can tell you I have never had one split,
My relief's were set @ or about #2300-2600

/ hydraulic steel lines DIY? #10  
I'm surprised this is such a problem. My local hydraulic repair house has tons of the stuff on the shelf. A google search on "steel hydraulic line" will have a million sources. One example here: Metal Stock, INC. Web Site

The "proper" stuff is drawn seamless and annealed, to reduce the risk of cracking when bending. Stainless is also available, expensive in small quantities and weaker too, but it sometimes is the only thing fit for the purpose (working in salt).