Winches Hydraulic winch hook up

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
I am going to install the Mile Marker Hydraulic winch on the 7040. It will come with a spool valve that will protect for full pressure from the pump as recommended by Winchplus. Will install it on the front instead of the brush guard and high enough to be able to use the FEL bucket as a wedge to prevent sliding. I know Madreferee has a ton of postings on hooking up aux hydraulics but still wondering how to hook this up? Like to tie into the hydraulics at the pump and then route lines along the frame rail up to where the valve is mounted on the front. So was wondering if solenoid valves to divert the flow to the winch would be the right way to go or is there a better way to tie in more directly? Have three aux hydraulic valves in the rear and I want to retain them for other uses. The aux hydraulic outlets in the front are mounted on the FEL and the winch will be mounted on the front frame of the tractor so that does not work too well.

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #2  
Since your winch is supplied with it's own spool valve you must put it into the circuit in series somewhere, either before or after the loader valve. Which way will depend on a few things, (1) specifically is the valve configured for power beyond and (2) do you anticipate using it (the winch) with any other hydraulic equipment (loader or remotes) simultaneously.

If the answer to (1) is yes and (2) is no then it doesn't matter where you plumb it. Just plumb it where it's the easiest. If the answer to (2) is also yes then you have to consider priority. The valve that's plumbed closest to the pump will have priority for all fluid flow when multiple valves are activated. This might make a difference in your application.

If the answer to (1) is no and (2) is yes then placement becomes a BIG issue. Plumbing will depend on which other valves will be activated simultaneously. The winch valve should be plumbed after these in the circuit.

If (1) is no and (2) is no then it really doesn't matter where it's plumbed in the circuit but my choice would always be after the loader valve.

I would caution against using solenoid valves to redirect flow to the winch valve. In order not to dead head the pump the flow MUST ALWAYS have a path back to tank (or the main circuit) when the winch valve spool is in neutral. This will present a problem when it comes time to activate a solenoid switch then a spool lever.

/ Hydraulic winch hook up
I will look over for most convenient way to connect. Dont need other functions to work when using the winch so like you say can hook in anywhere. My preference would be to tie in before the 3rd function control valve which is located close to the pump on the right side of the tractor. So teeing in supply and return from that point to the new spool valve should do it

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #4  
m7040 said:
So teeing in supply and return from that point to the new spool valve should do it
Remember, you cannot tee into any pressure inlet or outlet line. The only line you can tee into is the return to tank line. Your valve must be connected in series with all other valves in the circuit.

In your case, disconnect the inlet to the third function valve (this is the pump outlet) and connect it to your valve's inlet. Your valve's outlet (or PB) then connects to the third function valve's inlet. If your valve is configured for PB the third line is the tank line and it can be teed into wherever the tank port is. This is the only way it will work correctly.

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #5  
it will come with a spool valve that will protect for full pressure from the pump as recommended by Winchplus
Also make sure the spool valve that comes with the winch is a open center type, and can flow at least the amount of fluid your tractor can. Some hydraulic winches are designed to work from the power steering on trucks, witch flow a lot less fluid than you 7040 does.

The comment about full flow through the new spool valve is appropriate for sure so I will check on that. Also installation in series with the 3rd function valve is noted so the return line stays as is through the 3rd function valve and the new spool valve installed in line between pump and 3rd function valve. The 3rd function valve also has a lockout button that disables the valve. Need to investigate how that works and if it will interfere with the current plan. It may just be a lock in place type of system with the return still being through the open center of the 3rd function valve.

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #7  
m7040 said:
The 3rd function valve also has a lockout button that disables the valve. Need to investigate how that works and if it will interfere with the current plan. It may just be a lock in place type of system with the return still being through the open center of the 3rd function valve.
Probably correct since if fluid is flowing from the pump directly into the 3rd function valve it must somehow flow thru or return directly to tank. If the latter case then there will be another hose from the pump to the loader valve. I doubt this is the scenerio. The lockout probably keeps the 3rd function valve from accidental activation for whatever reason.

Just remembver that when plumbing the lines, fluid must have a free flow from tank to pump to valves and back to tank when all spools are in neutral. Otherwise, bend over and kiss your pump goodbye.:eek:

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #8  
What does this winch look like? I'm just curious in case I want to put one on later. What are you going to use it for?

Chuck, it is the Milemarker 12000 lbs Hydraulic winch. Look up their website to see it or go to winchesplus website which is where I will buy it from. It is a very economical choice at 740 dollars I think plus may be 120 for the spool valve. The winch is limited to 1500 psi max so the spool valve will protect it from the 2600 psi or so on the M7040 system. I will use it for general use such as pulling cars, tree trunks or just have fun with it

/ Hydraulic winch hook up #10  
m7040 said:
Chuck, it is the Milemarker 12000 lbs Hydraulic winch. Look up their website to see it or go to winchesplus website which is where I will buy it from. It is a very economical choice at 740 dollars I think plus may be 120 for the spool valve. The winch is limited to 1500 psi max so the spool valve will protect it from the 2600 psi or so on the M7040 system. I will use it for general use such as pulling cars, tree trunks or just have fun with it

I use a MM winch on my Jeep. There are two different types, 70 series or 75 series. I run the 75 series which comes with electrical solenoids that direct fluid flow. When neither solenoid is activated the winch free flows back into the system. When either solenoid is activated the fluid is directed thru the hydraulic motor and the drum turns with fluid then returned to system. No additional spool valve is required. The output of my power steering pump goes directly to the winch, then to the steering box, then to the cooler, then back to the tank. The winch comes with a remote controller that can be used or you can wire a three way toggle switch to do the same thing. I have a toggle switch in the cab as well as the remote hookup located at the winch. This gives me the ability to operate the winch from the drivers seat of while standing outside the Jeep.

I am attaching a drawing of how it is plumbed into my Jeep's system. Mad can confirm if this would apply to your tractor's system. Also attaching a picture of the winch mounted so you can see what it looks like.

Attachments

• DSC00996.JPG
    DSC00996.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 835
  • DSC00997.JPG
    DSC00997.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 458