Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
I have a New Holland T1510, that I bought new in 2007 it has less than 120 hours on it. I have had it serviced at the local NH dealer including all filters and fluids, twice. I have not used the tractor since May. I was tryimg to load it on my trailer, I let it warmup for at least a hour. When I tried to lift the loader and the bush hog, they both moved very slowly and were jerking and shuttering. Then when I tried to move the tractor I have no steering. Checked all fluids and they seem to be at proper levels, with no contamination from water and I have no leaks. Any thoughts?

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering #2  
Since nobody answered and it won't hurt anything, warm it up and run at PTO rpms and select one user function...steering or loader and move the steering wheel lock to lock numerous (20 or so) times and see if you can get a reaction, or get on the loader joy stick and move it max up to max down same amount. I'm guessing that you have trapped air at the pump intake and you need to exercise things to get the bubbles to move through the system and disperse. Nothing else makes sense.....to me with what you have told us.

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering #3  
Sounds like the pump is being starved for oil so running it at full throttle will potentially damage the pump.

Was it below freezing when you tried to run this tractor? If yes possible water in oil settled out an froze partially restricting the pump inlet.

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering #4  
Very good advice☺

The only thing I might add when raising the bucket keep the joystick back to make the relief valve work for about a minute , might have to do the same with the 3 point hitch.

If it is air where did the air come from? If the system has not been opened up, the most common cause is low fluid level
which should be checked before trying to force air out of the system

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering
It was not below freezing, temp is in the 40's. I was told by the service manager that I should run the tractor for a hour or so every month to heat the oil and get the moisture out.

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering #6  
Sounds like the pump is being starved for oil so running it at full throttle will potentially damage the pump.

Was it below freezing when you tried to run this tractor? If yes possible water in oil settled out an froze partially restricting the pump inlet.
Not necessarily. I changed the fluids on my newly purchased 3910 and upon restarting at idle I heard seriously bad noises coming from the area of my hyd pump. After a few seconds of that I figured the pump had an air bubble and was starving for oil. I revved it up and immediately the pump quieted down and ran smoothly!

/ Hydraulics are jerking and shuttering
thanks for the suggestions
am wondering if something floating around in the hyd system might be causing a restriction
where would i approach the system to get an eyeball into it? i don't know where to best access it from