Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #1  

knightrider955

Silver Member
Tractor
Long 560
Im considering putting a PTO snowblower on the back of my tractor. But the few times I used my tractor last winter I had issues with the hydraulics. My loader and 3 point would not work when I started it. I would try to raise my loader or my three point and it would move a few inches and stop. I had to let it sit and run for about an hour and tap on the the metal return line and then it would slowly start to work. Its almost like the pump cavitates. Only in the cold. Fine in the summer. What causes this and how can I fix it??

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #2  
I think you need to change the hyd fluid as it probably has some water in it, and freezes.
Replace all filters and clean any screens in the hyd system.

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather
I suppose that might be possible since it sits outside all the time. Maybe rain gets in the vent on top of the tranny?

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #4  
JJ is right on track, but let me ask a little more .When is the last time you changed the fluid or filter on your tractors hydro?
DevilDog

Ok I bought my tractor last fall. Has reciepts for a overhauled engine and new clutch. So I assumed since they had to split the tractor to do all that work,they probably repaced the fluid. But maybe not, Ive never done it either. Ive never cleaned the inline filter either. On this tractor the tranny fluid is also the hyraulic fluid. Not sure how much it takes but I bet its alot!
So you think new fluid and a clean filter should do it?

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #6  
Well the only answer I can give you is that I had an issue with my old Oliver Super 55's three point hitch with my back blade raising real slow in the cold N.Y. upstate winters. Change of fluid and cleaning the brass screen filter made a difference. But in reality all hydo systems work much slower in freezing cold weather until they warm up. My L3540 is stored inside a insulated un-heated barn, plugged in to a Battery Tender and has a timer for a block heater. When It's real cold and I don't use either one tractor takes a while to warm up and operate the way I believe is correct, Just saying here.
DevilDog

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #7  
Ok I bought my tractor last fall. Has reciepts for a overhauled engine and new clutch. So I assumed since they had to split the tractor to do all that work,they probably repaced the fluid. But maybe not, Ive never done it either. Ive never cleaned the inline filter either. On this tractor the tranny fluid is also the hyraulic fluid. Not sure how much it takes but I bet its alot!
So you think new fluid and a clean filter should do it?

That's where I would start an maybe use a synthetic oil

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #8  
you can also add a heater on the hydraulic tank if thers a flat spot . I use a wolverine brand paste on heater (250 watts) on mine. it really helps. Yesterday it was 19F outside, and tractor started and moved out instantly...no growling. It might need to run 1-2 hours before you use tractor. use wall timer

you can also add a heater on the hydraulic tank if thers a flat spot . I use a wolverine brand paste on heater (250 watts) on mine. it really helps. Yesterday it was 19F outside, and tractor started and moved out instantly...no growling. It might need to run 1-2 hours before you use tractor. use wall timer

Now thats an idea!! I never knew they even made such a thing! Where could I buy one at?

/ Hydraulics dont work in the cold weather #10  
Now thats an idea!! I never knew they even made such a thing! Where could I buy one at?
Wolverine Engine Heaters | Outperforms Engine Block Heater - Cold Starts

i bought 3 of them. a 125 watt for my oil pan, a 250 watt for my HST/transmission pan and a 250 watt for my 3 point hitch hydraulic oil tank (loader mounted snowblower).

They install in about 5 minutes.......very easy. All you need is a flat metal surface (no ridges) the pad is like 3.75 x 4.25 inches for a 250 watt (if i remember right).