Hydraulics: FEL versus Forklift

/ Hydraulics: FEL versus Forklift #1  

Yamezz

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3720 cab, JD X495, JD L100, JD D105
I can operate three functions simultaneously on my forklift, with full dexterity and finesse. I can also make the smallest of movements with precision. This is not the case on the FEL of either of my tractors, when weight is heavy or the load is positioned further from the tractor. The worst situation is trying to tilt a heavy load gently, say setting down a heavy pallet on a rack. I slowly move the joystick in the direction of downward tilt and nothing much happens until the forks tilt drastically and immediately, without a hint of the finesse I can achieve on the forklift.

On the forklift, I can also raise or lower at full speed, while modulating tilt or rotation with precision. I can operate raise/lower and bucket movements at the same time on the FEL, but with nowhere near the finesse I can on the tractor.

Can anyone explain why this is the case? Am I just bad at operating the FEL, or is there a difference in how the hydraulics are built? Myself, I wonder if the individual levers on the forklift versus a 4-way joystick on the FEL is part of it.

/ Hydraulics: FEL versus Forklift #2  
The difference is in system design...... open center on Kubota and most smaller tractors. This system uses a constant displacement pump meaning for each revolution of the pump shaft a fixed volume of oil is moved. If the oil flow is stopped and no relief valve to maintain the flow the pump and other components will be destroyed in seconds. This is called "dead heading."

The forklift and construction equipment + some John Deere tractors use a Closed Center hydraulic system. The pump in this system can instantly change how much oil per shaft revolution it can produce. This is a more sophisticated system and also more expensive. It can operate more than one device at the same time giving it the operational dexterity you experience.

Dave M7040

/ Hydraulics: FEL versus Forklift #3  
Another difference is valve quality or valve design. Some valves have metering notches to provide the fine movement control others do not.

/ Hydraulics: FEL versus Forklift #4  
Another difference is one is a forf lift and one is a tractor. My hydraulis are extremely smooth but because of the load being so far in front of the tractor it is nothing remotely like a fork lift.

/ Hydraulics: FEL versus Forklift
Thanks Dave. That's a neat explanation