I’m so honored

/ I’m so honored #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
About 3 years ago a young couple (upper 20’s) bought the 8 acres next to us. We were leaving for a short vacation when we saw the man filling a washout at the entrance to his drive with a shovel and a wagon. We stopped to say welcome to the neighborhood and told him that when we got back I would bring the tractor up and fix the drive.

That was the start of an unusual relationship. We got to know then very well over the years. The house they bought is currently an Airbnb but their long range plan is to move from their “LA” home and live in the desert.

They were not married when we first met. They planned their wedding on their site and needed a venue. I cleared about an acre, installed lighting, set them up with a caterer and built 10 picnic tables for the reception all of course with their help. I have done many other maintenance work gratis due to their remote living. When they planned their wedding, they asked my wife (age 77) to be a maid of honor. And then when we were seated, our seats were the closest to their head table, IN FRONT of both their parents. We had become their honorary grand parents. In fact they call us G-ma and G-pa.

The love passes both ways as every time they come up here they bring food and cook meals for us. When my wife had a minor surgery, they came up and prepared full meals for 3 days so that she could rest.

Well now to the crux of the story. They had their first child on Wednesday, and yesterday they told us that they gave him the middle name of “James” in honor of me. I’m sure that their first daughter will have Elizabeth!

How lucky can you get.

/ I’m so honored #2  
Well now to the crux of the story. They had their first child on Wednesday, and yesterday they told us that they gave him the middle name of “James” in honor of me. I’m sure that their first daughter will have Elizabeth!

How lucky can you get.

Not luck, Orezok. That's a good life, well lived. Thank you for sharing with us. Good people can be found all over. You four found each other next door.
Highest regards to you,
Eric

/ I’m so honored #3  
I believe that you passed on some of the "old ways" to them that may have been not available for their witness in LA. Great story 👍

/ I’m so honored #4  
What a beautiful post, thanks for sharing, This is the positive side of the adage, "what goes around, comes around,"

/ I’m so honored #5  
And that's how you do it.

Nice.

I wish all neighbors could be that neighborly. I miss my old neighbor buddy from our last house. He was even less "socially polished" than me (if that's even possible), but he was always there for us and vice versa. Now my "new" neighbors don't give each other, or me, the time of day. I don't even know most of their names.

Good for you Orezok.

/ I’m so honored #6  
You clearly have gone beyond "good neighbors." Wonderful that you connected so well.

We had great neighbors when we first moved in, but every house around us has changed ownership. We're waiting for newest neighbor to arrive. They bought the house about 2 months ago and they haven't arrived yet! We only know they are from Texas and bought the house based upon their realtor walking around with tablet.

/ I’m so honored #8  
Wish there was more kind acts as such... (y)

/ I’m so honored
OP here. There is a little more to the story. Michelle’s mother has been totally controlling her whole life. She still buys clothes for her 31 year old daughter! Her father seemed to be disconnected from what I discerned the only time I met him at the wedding. Jonathan’s father was a “boat people” from Viet Nam and seemed rather cold, maybe from his youthful experience.

In both cases their early family life was lacking and I think we filled in for a life they never had.

/ I’m so honored #10  
Hmmmm ... my neighbor lets his dogs run loose.