I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #1  

robstaples

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota / L39 TLB, BX2680
Brand new machine bent already. I have a prince type pto hydraulic pump that hangs on the rear 6 spline pto shaft of the tractor. I had used it before on my L39 for my front quick attach hydr snow blower. Trying to convert to my new cabbed B3350, it was a tight fit with the smaller 3 pt hitch. so I added a pto extender ( about 4 inches). Things seemed fine to start and the blower was working. Looking back at the pto, I noticed a wiggle. Apparently, the extra length of the shaft and the weight of the pump caused the shaft to bend. I thought it was the extension and tried another, for only a monent. The tractor shaft is bent.. not a lot but the pump shakes. I'm moving toward a remote pump mount with a double universal drive shaft. I thought I might be able to bend it back.
Any Thoughts other than I shouldn't have done that? ( I broke it with less then 6 hours on the machine.. Wife is thrilled at my competence!! olto ) Thanks in advance!!

additional info, The parts manual shows a bearing on either side of a gear that connects to the pto clutch. So the shaft looks about 8-10 inches long. I'm waiting for warmer weather ( 14 F) the Tractors outside and doesn't like cold starts. I haven't had a regen yet (tier 4 Solution)

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #2  
Are you sure the shaft is bent? Have you taken off the extender and run the PTO shaft without it?

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #3  
sounds to me its the extension that has the wabble. . . . .John

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #4  
Take the pump and extension off and call the ealer and tell him the shaft is bent. Keep your mouth shut about what you did. Maybe the dealer will fix it this time under warrantee. ONLY do this if you want to screw your dealer.

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #5  
Are you sure the shaft is bent? Have you taken off the extender and run the PTO shaft without it?
This.
I wouldn't use an extender with a shaft mounted pump unless the pump also mounted elsewhere (ie: to the drawbar). Too much slop to try to keep tight

Aaron Z

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350
Ok, the latest. I have it indoors and the pump and "trailer(3pt tank,filter)" detached. I put a spring micrometer(not sure of the name) on the center of the splined drive at about 30 degree angle and the shaft rotates perfectly smooth. I put any and all of 3 extenders on and the outside tip wanders like the shaft is bend. And trying to flex the extenders with the machine off, there is essentially no play between them. I would suspect a manufacture issue but the first time I ran the pump, things were smooth.

Just back from a test. I marked with a felt tip pen an the shaft rotated and hit the high point. Then I rotated the extension on the pto stub by 180 degrees and marked again. If the tractor was bent the the marks should have moved to the opposite side. They did not. I had purchase a solid shaft spline from surplus center and put it in my lathe. Perfect center. Then mounted all of the extensions and they wobble the same as in my tractor. Conclusion is the tractor isn't bent and that when I first looked at the pump on extension the rpm was near minimum and I didn't notice the wobble because it was so slow. Then driving and blowing with high rpm it became more obvious. I'm still moving toward a remote pump supported on my "Trailer" with a connecting shaft. Thanks for all your good ideas. I'll be absolutely certain when I have the pump or anything connected and spinning smoothly.

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #7  
I'm glad you dodged the bullet on this one.

Where in Michigan are you?

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350 #9  
Question, is the blower hydraulically powered or is it to lift the blower. There ma be options to eliminate the pto pump.

/ I can't believe I broke my new machine-- Kubota B3350
GP, I'm in Ann Arbor. Yes, it is hydraulic powered- hoses , filter, overpressure relief, disconnects, set up for 20 GPM.... PITA. I first set it up for my L39 tlb that didn't have a mid PTO. I just finished a conversion of a 48" simplicity mechanical snowblower 2 stage to a hydraulic drive. Worked ok, until above. Just have to connect the electric chute and tip control.