I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile.

/ I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #1  

jeff9366

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 3,700 pounds bare tractor, 5,400 pounds operating weight, 37 horsepower
jeff9366: I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile.

If you add your LOCATION to your T-B-N PROFILE, so your location shows with every post your author, you will receive responses germane to your operating conditions.

1. Click on your "illuminated" screen name in upper right corner.

2. Click on SETTINGS in drop down box.

3. On left side of screen, click on ACCOUNT DETAILS.

4. Scroll down to LOCATION.

Here are my reasons for wanting OP location.

ALTIITUDE - Tractors lose 3% of engine power output for every 1,000' altitude increase, over 1,500' Sometimes twenty posts will be made advising on tractor horsepower, then we find OP is a 6,500 feet altitude and is considering a low power, naturally aspirated tractor.

WEATHER - ESPECIALLY SNOW - Blowing snow and mowing are the two tasks that require considerable engine power. If we know an OP is in Buffalo, NY rather than Key West, FL snow needs are apparent.

WEATHER - Large swathes of the country have a continental climate, four seasons, with great temperature variations between winters and summers.
Areas near the coast have varying maritime climates.

PRICING - Tractor and implement pricing and dealer service pricing varies a great deal. Lowest prices are usually in the south. Prices along the west coast and in the northeast are usually highest.

Some states exempt agriculture and forestry equipment from state sales taxes. Florida is one example of liberal ag sales tax exemptions.

IMPLEMENTS - Availability of implements brands are regional, not national. ie: CountyLine, Rural King, etc.

SOIL AND GROWING SEASON - Whether game food plots or market crops, soil and length of growing season(s) are important. Soil type influences tire selection. Soil type influences implement selection.

USED TRACTORS - When the OP posts a location, OP is often referred to good used tractors nearby or provided local tractor listings from Craig's List, eBay, TractorHouse, Machinery Peter or other sites.

Everyone on T-B-N has a screen name, as anonymous as they like. Any other profile information is contributed voluntarily, such as age and tractor brand/model. Relative to the massive data heists reported so often, with names, address, Social Security and credit card numbers stolen, this site is near
ly anonymous.

Last edited:
   / I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #2  
One reason to keep someones location private is...:

IT'S NONE OF YOUR DANG BUSINESS....!

Last edited:
   / I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #3  
/pine,

While I agree privacy is important in this day and age for many reasons including fraud and identify theft, a reasonable person can display a region, state, or town in their profile without harming their privacy.

A contributor's general non specific location is helpful to contributors when resolving many issues within the forum.

Jef9366 is a good contributor and has been helpful with his astute contributions.

I happen to have home in Fairview, NC with a population of 2,878 but I have no concerns about any contributor or hacker or government agency or foreign state actor in learning my identity because I have taken steps to minimize my documented footprint in records including legal records. Unless you also have taken these same steps, your identity is widely known by any and all internet service providers and anybody you buy product or services from. The state agencies in which you live, the USA federal government and MOST importantly the Chinese Communist Party and probably North Korea are ALL very aware of your personal details.

I, along with 26 million other people, had my 10 year personal history and identity stolen by the the CCP. I have taken many steps since then to obscure my tracks.

Last edited:
   / I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #4  
Actually if you look at the big picture...there are relatively very few queries posted where a geographical location is needed to reply with helpful information...and the reasons cited are exaggerated...
...It's not like a post asking for a location is a big deal or is going to hinder a helpful response by more than a minute or so...

In this day and age where there are so many devious scripts running on the open Internet...and so many databases (where single bits of information can be cross referenced etc)...it is a prudent practice to refrain from volunteering ANY personal information...
The naivety of the majority of Internet users is astounding...!

/ I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #5  
/pine,

I am very aware of the big picture.

I agree with comment about naivety of the majority of internet users, however the disclosure of region, state, and town poses no risk to contributors to TBN in both a primary or secondary way. A town name is not sufficient PII to identify, or even useful in identifying, a specific individual or subset of individuals.

People's concerns should be about the bad actors and those actors would not be surfing TBN looking for leads. A bad actor is not going to be specifically interested in TBN since it does not disclose or is capable of disclosing PII or a lead to PII unless a contributor makes the mistake of posting sufficient detail to produce that lead. A bad actor might have a tertiary reason for examining TBN traffic as confirmation of a beneficial lead developed elsewhere and they would be going after TBN's internet traffic to discern IP addresses and other meta data including vpn or TOR use.

You mention databases and there are many of them ( I will not get more specific ) that all of us interact with frequently. That is where primary information is developed and where bad actors operate because the risk/ reward for time and financial resources expended makes it beneficial. TBN is so far down the food chain of databases as to entirely discounted for use in attack surface development.

As to an earlier and related comment. There are generally 3 levels of encryption. First and lowest level is commercially available encryption and is what most people will ever see and know about. ALL these encryption methods have known multiple compromises, both direct and indirect, and are generally available and in place at many points along the internet. VPN is a method and process involving encryption. Second level and more secure is PII entangled encyption where the math is certified by the NSA but is not for classified. Third, and most secure is classified, where the math is classified, the tools are classified, and the tools have a set shelf life, the NSA get into your shorts at least once per year, and is run over SIPRNet. Tools have a shelf life to minimize exposure.

Last edited:
   / I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #6  
It's not about "bad actors"...it's about all the devious scripts running on the open Internet...

There are lots of end user (public) encryption programs out there that use aes 256 bit encryption algorithms...they are relatively easy to use for the average user that is interested...

/ I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #7  
The bad actors are the ones developing and launching (running and proliferating) the devious scripts for a reason. Profit for financial gain to an organization and/or data collection for a nation state. ie CCP.

"Bad Actors" is an industry term for hackers, black hats, nation states, etc that use software and hardware to gain an advantage. Perhaps you have heard of Huawei. Perfect example of bad actor in both hardware and software..

Last edited:
   / I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #8  
stating the obvious is moot...
your post might make some think that there is actually some (human) deviant clicking away stealing identities and personal data...(not that that does not happen to the most vulnerable)...

/ I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #9  
jeff9366: I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile.

1. Click on your "illuminated" screen name in upper right corner.

2. Click on SETTINGS in drop down box.

3. On left side of screen, click on ACCOUNT DETAILS.

4. Scroll down to LOCATION.

Here are my reasons for wanting OP location.

ALTIITUDE - Tractors lose 3% of engine power output for every 1,000' altitude increase, over 1,500' Sometimes twenty posts will be made advising on tractor horsepower, then we find OP is a 6,500 feet altitude and is considering a low power, naturally aspirated tractor.

WEATHER - ESPECIALLY SNOW - Blowing snow and mowing are the two tasks that require considerable engine power. If we know an OP is in Buffalo, NY rather than Key West, FL snow needs are apparent.

WEATHER - Large swathes of the country have a continental climate, four seasons, with great temperature variations between winters and summers.
Areas near the coast have varying maritime climates.

PRICING - Tractor and implement pricing and dealer service pricing varies a great deal. Lowest prices are usually in the south. Prices along the west coast and in the northeast are usually highest.

Some states exempt agriculture and forestry equipment from state sales taxes. Florida is one example of liberal ag sales tax exemptions.

IMPLEMENTS - Availability of implements brands are regional, not national. ie: CountyLine, Rural King, etc.

SOIL AND GROWING SEASON - Whether game food plots or market crops, soil and length of growing season(s) in important. Soil type influences tire selection.

USED TRACTORS - When the OP posts a location, OP is often referred to good used tractors nearby or provided local tractor listings from Craig's List, eBay, TractorHouse, Machinery Peter or other sites.

Everyone on T-B-N has a screen name, as anonymous as they like. Any other profile information is contributed voluntarily, such as age and tractor brand/model. Relative to the massive data heists reported so often, with names, address, Social Security and credit card numbers stolen, this site is near
ly anonymous.
Jeff,
Thanks for putting that up.
When I came across it, I'd just read the post by someone looking for a cab to install on his tractor to keep him from freezing in winter. Before even finishing his post, I was curious as to his where he lived that he'd want to go through all of that trouble and expense Sadly, I'm still curious because it wasn't listed.

/ I can't figure out how to insert my location into my T-B-N profile. #10  
I generally enjoy your posts /pine, though we disagree fairly often.

I find profanity in forum posts from anyone objectionable.

Fairly raspy today in your posts.
So you exploit what you find objectionable?...BTW I edited the post you found objectionable...so now it's you that posted the profanity by quoting an unedited post...

Fill out and submit the form below in triplicate and try to get over it...

Attachments

• Hurt-Feelings-Report.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 66