I divorce you xplornet

/ I divorce you xplornet #1  

mikester

Elite Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
It's official...after 10 years of being in an abusive relationship with xplornet I cut off the service.

Bye bye $99/month for 25 Mbit down and 1Mbit up "high speed" internet. I actually got those speeds when I first signed up, unfortunately, the more and more they oversold the service my speeds dropped to 5Mbit during covid and on some days 0.01Mbit. To add insult to injury they raised my monthly fees last year for "continuing to improve the quality of your service".

At least Elon promises "better than nothing internet". So far Starlink's bad days are better than xplornet's good days. Starlink speeds might be up and down constantly but in terms of expectations they have a low hurdle to clear compared with xplornet.

/ I divorce you xplornet #2  
I've had Hughesnet for at least ten years now. Been on Gen5 for a few years and I would get 25-45mbps regularly until covid hit and speeds dropped way down. Speeds really vary now and almost no upload possible. I've signed up for Starlink and sent in my $99. Looking forward to getting it. I'd like to be able to stream movies on TV and cut down to a basic directv plan.

/ I divorce you xplornet #3  
My daughter just got Bell satellite internet couple months ago for Ithink it is $80 and fibre is supposed to be there within a year. Until Bell showed up all that was available where she lives was 'blazing fast' 25mbps (or less) internet from Explorenet at I think it was $110 a month for spotty, slow, freezing service, she never even bothered with it.
Side note...I was with Eastlink which is all that was available where I'm at, service was fast, averaged 100mbps but that was $100 a month plus tax. I went with Purple Cow, Purple Cow Internet 💜🐄 which leases their lines from Eastlink for $69 a month tax included....go figure. Not to mention the download is 115-125mbp.
If Purple Cow is making money at $69....what is Eastlink making.............Mike

/ I divorce you xplornet #4  
Hmm Starlink's speeds are up and down? Can you elaborate on that?

/ I divorce you xplornet
Hmm Starlink's speeds are up and down? Can you elaborate on that?
right now 47/10 53ms ping 10ms jitter
best 120/40 40ms 0ms jitter

I seem to average 40-80,down, 10-20 up, 40-50ms ping, 1-10ms jitter

Starlink is way snappier. On xplornet I used to be able to hit cancel on the youtube ads before watching more than a second of ad. That was due to slow buffering. On starlink I now have to watch the whole youtube ad before I can hit cancel. Apple and google updates are now blazingly fast. I can now watch netflix, videos and menus come up fast and video is way better quality HD.

Im finding starlink occasionally has pauses or hiccups, then data transfers are fast. Xplornet was always laggy and sluggish to get going. IMHO xplornet's bandwidth throttling Fair Access Policy is the root cause of many of it's network issues.

Starlink's better an nothing performance so far is way better than xplornet's premium service. Both blow chunks compared to fibre.

/ I divorce you xplornet #6  
Thanks! I see At&T is claiming _nobody_ needs fiber-to-home. (Makes me want to tell them where they can put their O-pee- noon!)

/ I divorce you xplornet #7  
Thanks! I see At&T is claiming _nobody_ needs fiber-to-home. (Makes me want to tell them where they can put their O-pee- noon!)
Bill Gates also said 640K of memory is enough for anybody!

/ I divorce you xplornet #8  
Five years ago, when we moved back to the country where I grew up as a kid (nothern Minnesota), the local phone co-op had been installing fiber for a 3 tier internet service as well as digital TV & phone. I opted for the cheapest internet service, which was $60 (still is) for a quarter gigabit, up and down. For $100 a month, I could have 1 Gbps but it would just be a waste of bandwidth for me. With the 250 Mbs we have, my wife and I can both stream movies while I use the internet and we don't see slowdowns. The attached screenshot was captured a few minutes ago. We've only had a couple of 5-minute outages since we moved here and one of those was this past summer.....I suspect from so many work-at-home connections due to COVID.

Capture.JPG

/ I divorce you xplornet #9  
It was a happy day when I gave them their walking papers. Nicest people to talk to, but always keeping the truth from you, regardless. And never knew they had an issue, until YOU reported it.

Then, I guess no dealer was interested in climbing my tower to recover their radio, so they billed me for it. $500.00 or something. Finally, I had the new provider take it down, got my money back anyway (afte being put through HELLL) and asked where can I take the radio. Recyle it, they told me. After they wanted $500.00 for it!!! Totally Dysfunctional!

Oh, they also ALWAYS outsell their resourses.