I don稚 need to know but?

/ I don稚 need to know but? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I have recently retired and have volunteered on occasion to help out township road superintendent. Yesterday we put a new cutting edge on the big plow and the rubber flaps on top of the plow on their pick up plow. The plow is a Western plow. The superintendent was out working on the roads while I was installing the rubber flaps on the pickup plow.

My question is can you feather the hydraulics on the plow of the pickup. I assume it is electric over hydraulic. It is an MVP Plus by Western Plow if that matters. Before I did the installation I started the truck to lower it down to the ground. It has a handheld controller with buttons, no joystick. It just seemed to slam the plow down. After I installed the flaps I played with it some more to make sure the flaps did not catch. It is the style that will go into a V or swing forward into a scoop. Same thing, all the motions seem very abrupt, no way to feather it. I have never used one before. Is this normal? Something wrong with the plow?

/ I don稚 need to know but? #2  
Never actually seen a Western - here's all Fisher, but I assume the controller is the same as the fisher "fish stik" style. As far as i know it's an all or nothing when you push the button. it's not like being able to gradually lower the loader on your tractor by just slightly opening the valve. you push the button, the solenoid opens the valve, and the weight of the plow and gravity do the rest. Assuming it's the same controller you can sometimes incrementally drop the plow a bit at a time by a very quick button press, though that is a jerky operation and gains you nothing really. also, the down button is likely also able to go into "float" mode with a longer press down on the button.

/ I don稚 need to know but? #3  
The older boss snow plows maybe the newer ones also have a big spring on each side to pull the plow back from a scoop position so it does slam a bit...

/ I don稚 need to know but? #4  
I find my western plow difficult to feather. I liked the older western hydraulic cab controls-easy to feather.
Only thing I could think of is could the fluid reservoir be overfilled/underfilled and cause speed/pressure issues?

/ I don稚 need to know but? #5  
They do slam when in a warm shed but they slow down a lot in the cold, one of the reasons you do want them to slam is to knock the snow off, I've plowed / owned - Fisher, Hiniker, Western, Boss and Diamond they all basically act the same - you get use to it.....

/ I don稚 need to know but?
Thanks for the answers, it was in a warmer shed at the time I was working on it.