I have a MAHINDRA 4500

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #1  

DJP

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra,4500
MY power steering box get low on fluid after about 20 minutes of cutting. I can refill the power fluid box and everything is good, front wheel turn perfectly, than 20 minutes later it become hard to turn and I have to turn the steering wheel around and around to just turn the tires a little. The power fluid box is out again. I see a little fluid drop on the motor below the power steering fluid box. What could be below the power steering box that may be making the fluid box loose fluid. I see one line comes down and go to the cup or box at the bottom of the steering Wheel pole. Another bigger line comes down and connect to side of the motor. Do this tractor have a power steering pump that may be leaking, if where is it? And it not heavy leaking while the tractor sitting still, maybe as I am driving or turning the tractor. Mahindra 45, Two wheel drive. :mad:

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #2  
Put it on a slab to locate the leak.. im betting its leaking at the power steering cylinder itself

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #3  
the other spot would be the HSU that is under the steering wheel shaft.

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #4  
MY power steering box get low on fluid after about 20 minutes of cutting. I can refill the power fluid box and everything is good, front wheel turn perfectly, than 20 minutes later it become hard to turn and I have to turn the steering wheel around and around to just turn the tires a little. The power fluid box is out again. I see a little fluid drop on the motor below the power steering fluid box. What could be below the power steering box that may be making the fluid box loose fluid. I see one line comes down and go to the cup or box at the bottom of the steering Wheel pole. Another bigger line comes down and connect to side of the motor. Do this tractor have a power steering pump that may be leaking, if where is it? And it not heavy leaking while the tractor sitting still, maybe as I am driving or turning the tractor. Mahindra 45, Two wheel drive. :mad:

If you have no visible leakage you may have a bad pump seal. Pumps are located lower,right of engine. Check your engine oil and hyd oil to see if its over full. I suspect if you have a bad steering pump seal it will leak into your hyd work pump. :thumbsup:

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #5  
If you have no visible leakage you may have a bad pump seal. Pumps are located lower,right of engine. Check your engine oil and hyd oil to see if its over full. I suspect if you have a bad steering pump seal it will leak into your hyd work pump. :thumbsup:

Had this happen on the old Farmall C. Obviously a different tractor but the hydraulic pump is engine driven and the drive gears are lubricated by the engine oil system. Any shaft leakage goes right into the crankcase pan. Put on a new seal and life is good.

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #6  
My 5500 leaks as well, not too bad. Just enough to be aggravating. It is the Seal in the steering box at the bottom of the column. I have been using ATF in it and it has really slowed down. Plan on taking it out this winter and rebuilding.

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500
YOU are right NAVASOT: after rechecking all other options it appear it is at the left side of the power steering cylinder. My tractor is at this time jacked up off the front two wheels and it is slowly dripping power steering fluid. As I was driving and turning it, it was leaking faster. I was testing before, but I leaving off the power steering fluid box top bolt/screw cap, AND THE PRESSURE FROM TURNING THE WHEEL MAY HAVE MADE THE POWER STEERING FLUID SPILL OUT OVER THE TOP OF THE FLUID BOX AND LOOKING LIKE I had a leak at he back/bottom of the fluid box. I try to do most the work on my own tractor. So far I have replaced the fuel tank, and to do this on this model you have to remove the tractor steering wheel, I done this two years ago. Where can I find any steps on how to replace my seals in my power steering cylinder. What I see is a long rod from the tire tie rod to the cylinder. This rod has from tie rod to a medal sleave with three bolts, a large center bolt that appear to connect the first iron bar to the iron bar that goes in side of the cylinder. And the cylinder has 5/6 allen ranch bolts that hole the iron bar in the cylinder and the cylinder seals. Also my search show that there are two types of power steering cylinders. Which brand came with this model tractor(Mahindra 4500,2004 2WD). Mainly what do I take loose to replace the cylinder seals, the toe rod end, the three bolts, or the large center bolt between the iron bars that ide is in the cylinder and the other id connected to the wheel tie rod????

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #8  
The cylinder has a cap on the end.. you have to take off then slam it off with the piston.. then its a fun time of finding all the seals and putting them back in... you will need a rebuild kit as well.. I like working on my machines also but I take the cylinder off and take it to a local hyd. shop... I hate rebuilding them. I would highly recommend taking it to a shop if you have one around.

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #9  
I believe the 4500 had two different in that there was a short and a long cylinder and the long one had a piston on both sides were the other was fixed and bolted to the side of the axle

/ I have a MAHINDRA 4500 #10  
This may not matter, but is it 2 or 4 wheel drive....bobg in Va who has a 6000 4WD and it only has one cyl in the front.