I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Got stuck in the yard of the 100+ year old house my youngest is redoing. Wife and I were supposed to load aluminum siding that had come off the house to take to a recycling place. Truck is a 2014 Ford F150 with the towing package. I love it for driving, towing, and hauling stuff. But it can get stuck on wet grass. Tires have street tread and 43,000 miles on them and that didn't help. My Kioti was ten miles away. Nobody nearby was at home. Finally got hold of a friend who is a retired college professor/preacher/business owner. He has some heart issues and it scared me to call him. He pulled me out with a RAM 4wd. Never spun a tire.

I will be hearing about this for years.

RSKY

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #3  
I have an '02 Ford Ranger that can get stuck way too easily. It and snow do not get along very well to say the least. Since it only has 95K miles on it, I'm not sure how much longer I'll have to keep it before I get rid of it.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #4  
You just need a couple of CO-OP Grip Spurs or some Gateway Gumbo Monster Mud tires on the back. Do you have a posi unit in rear? Those really help. Some are pretty easy to install without adjusting ring and pinion. I have seen lockers put in the rear and they didn't need 4x4 anymore.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #6  
I recall having 2wd trucks for years and installing tire chains every winter storm. After getting my first 4wd truck, I vowed to never own another 2wd. Never have since.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #7  
If the truck is low milage,you like it and are on a budget I suggest installing a locker to see how you like it. I've driven out countless times when a couple of guys stood on rear bumper.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #8  
I hear ya, nothing more frustrating, yup you can add weight, yup lockers help, real mud tires will make a difference......... or you could turn a switch and drive out.

Both my half tons are 4wd.
I have a ton and a quarter dually, 2wd. literally you can get stuck going down hill on a grassy spot where a cow peed. If the darn things weren't 100k I would have a 4wd, for now if I take it off pavement I have an x or a tractor that I can move it with, with no help. It may get more low level linguistics than any other piece of gear on the place.

Best,

ed

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #9  
literally you can get stuck going down hill on a grassy spot where a cow peed.
LOL. Driving a dump truck with a 4 axle trailer, dumped off spoils from a job moving out toward the access road at about 5 mph and just stopped on level or slight downhill, wheels spinning like I was on wet ice. Lifted the truck box all the way up, unlocked the reach so the trailer didn't drag on me and still couldn't move. I had to call the pit operator on the CB to bring a loader up and pull me out. Greasiest stuff I ever saw.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #10  
I've owned a '07 2wd Toyota HILUX 6cyl and it's done everything I've asked of it. The only time I've been stuck is in extremely slippery mud that I knew I was taking a chance in. I carry a tow rope that, up 'til then, had only been used to help other vehicles out of 'situations'.

There are plus and minus needs to have a 4wd and 4wd is really only needed in certain situations. Tractors, of course, are different as you're usually (could be) going onto situations where 4wd is needed.

Fuel economy-wise, 2wd is the better bet. Mind you, I don't have to deal with Winter/icy conditions, nor do I need to go 'off road'.