I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #41  
Our current method of using energy for transportation is archaic...lol.

I for one love "recharging" my gas vehicle in 10 minutes flat.

I think it's archaic to think recharging in less than 5 hours is a huge win.

I have always thought using batteries for transportation is silly. There is no way to recharge except through a fixed station that is slow at best. The problem is the transportation problem was solved a long time ago. People now have so much free time they are creating problems to solve over again, only the new solutions are giant steps backwards.

Then, don't even get me started on the "green" lithium and cobalt mining for this new green revolution.
You don't think electric motors will replace internal combustion engines for personal transportation? I think they will as battery tech improves.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #42  
You don't think electric motors will replace internal combustion engines for personal transportation? I think they will as battery tech improves.
Not until they figure out nuclear fusion.

Batteries have a scalability problem. At some point the weight of the battery overcomes any power efficiencies. The laws of physics are not breakable.

We have had exactly one improvement in battery tech in the last 30 years. Lithium. It a lot better, but it's still far from being a solution to the transportation faux problem.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #43  

Can’t wait until we have cars that can fly at reasonable prices. They have been promised to be just around the corner since the early 1950s.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #45  
Some people seem to think that standing still is the answer to everything. They think that climate change is a giant lie made up by ?? to rob us of our money and take us out of our comfort zone. Because the government is indeed far from perfect, they think the government is part of the conspiracy of that giant lie. Seems like this forum is a sounding off place for these people.

I don't claim to have answers to all of the questions, but I firmly believe change is indeed needed. Our current method of using energy for transportation is so archaic. I agree with Jeff that electric cars are indeed over-sold on their advantages, and the disadvantages are understated. But we live in a constantly evolving situation where change will happen, with many mistakes along with many unexpected advances as we move on, resulting in a better (but certainly not perfect) world.
Change is needed, but to what extent do we go and is there "real science" that says what we are changing to is better and less poluting to the global enviroment?

We aren't standing still on emissions. Over the last 35 years the exhaust "polution" from ICE has been reduced by over 90% (Read 95% somewhere).
When the goal is zero, then the powers that be are using perfection (FEAR) as the goal posts.
Driving through LA now vs 35 years ago is kind of like night and day, very little smog now. Many days there is no smog visible. And the amount of respiratory ploblems has gone down also as a result.
I'm all about clean air, but the goal of zero polution which is perfection when the enviromental rules governing ICE polution have made it good enough in my opinion. A 90 to 95% reduction in exhaust emissions is substantial.
I worked in Industrial Polution Control for a major part of my career, the USA has done more to reduce polution than any other country I am aware of. with the exception of Sweden.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #46  
For electric cars it seems to take 15,000 to 25,000 miles to reach the zero carbon footprint point. All of this data is also probably coming from pro electric car sources but I find it believable.

The real question is does an electric car work for the way you travel or drive. For us I figure 80% of the days it would, that’s days not miles. This would be driving no more than 100 miles from home, usually less. The problem is 50% or more of the miles we drive it doesn’t’, which is long trips. We drove from West Central Illinois to Dauphine Island Alabama last week, we didn’t see a single charging station.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #47  
Change is needed, but to what extent do we go and is there "real science" that says what we are changing to is better and less poluting to the global enviroment?

We aren't standing still on emissions. Over the last 35 years the exhaust "polution" from ICE has been reduced by over 90% (Read 95% somewhere).
When the goal is zero, then the powers that be are using perfection (FEAR) as the goal posts.
Driving through LA now vs 35 years ago is kind of like night and day, very little smog now. Many days there is no smog visible. And the amount of respiratory ploblems has gone down also as a result.
I'm all about clean air, but the goal of zero polution which is perfection when the enviromental rules governing ICE polution have made it good enough in my opinion. A 90 to 95% reduction in exhaust emissions is substantial.
I worked in Industrial Polution Control for a major part of my career, the USA has done more to reduce polution than any other country I am aware of. with the exception of Sweden.

We have cleaned up 95% of diesel tailpipe emissions with tier 4 technology. The last 5% is always the hardest and most costly to obtain for the smallest benefit. To get the last 5%, diesels will become super complex and expensive to the point it limits their use. Which is what they probably want.

I always tell my employees...don't let perfection be the enemy of good. Someone needs to tell the EPA this.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #48  
The last 5% is always the hardest and most costly to obtain for the smallest benefit.
That's why they leave it in the milk. Lol.

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #49  
Once Government goes all in on something, facts and reality don't matter. Just look at all the damage they caused by forcing the "vaccine" on everyone. In my opinion, Electric Vehicles are the future, and it's just a matter of time until the Government makes it too expensive, or impossible to find parts to keep gas and diesel vehicles running. There are threads on here about 20 year old tractors that you cannot find parts for anymore because they are not Tier4.

My plan is to wait as long as possible, but realize that it's gonna happen. I'm building a new 3 car garage onto my house and I'm going to run the wire for charging Electric Vehicles in it. I might be wasting money, but wire isn't going to get any cheaper, and having it in place now, before sheetrock is installed, seems like a good idea.

One thing that I really like is that the Ford Lightning has a huge lockable storage area under the hood, where the engine is normally located. As a contractor, I think this would be great. I can keep my tools locked up under the hood, and haul material in the bed of the truck. Since I usually work within 30 minutes of where I live, I would have plenty of charge for a full day, and never have to deal with a gas station again. Price to buy one is my biggest issue since I don't know how long the batteries will last, and what happens when the batteries need to be replaced. For now, I'm just gonna wait and see what happens.
You got that right Eddie. The gov and the media like to pull the wool over the "sheeples" eyes. But they don't want to talk about where the electricity and batteries come from, LOL

Was talking to my friend who is my Ford salesman the other day. He said they are having lots of problems with those electric F150's and in his words..."the technicians can't even fix all the electronics problems in the gas and diesel vehicles, they are really lost on those electric ones."

And speaking of vaccines, I got my comment read on The Cow Guy Closed the other day on RFD TV. He even laughed.

I said "Lets get this straight. People are against GMO foods, yet they are perfectly okay with letting the government inject them with a gene altering vaccine? This world needs a giant reset. Send the meteors"

/ I love electric vehicles. But increasingly I feel duped #50  
one cargo ship emit the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars … 20 cargo ship creat more pollutions as all the cars on the planet … there are 60 000 cargo ship around the planet… but yet the problem are the cars …

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.