I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area?

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
We live in a holler- for you uppity types, that's a valley:p. We've had some wind storms before but MAN.......usually the wind sounds like two freight trains running the ridges(about 200ft above our house). But, tonight, when that weather front came through, I really thought it was a tornado coming. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, I was getting ready to grab the kids to go to the basement and then, as quickly as it came, it calmed down- almost to an eerie way. Now the gusts are picking back up and it is very strong.

Some power is off in the region and there are quite a few trees down.

Are all of you ok?

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #2  
Just starting to hit here.

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #3  
We had storms last night. A lot of wind and rain, but didn't last very long. No damage.

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #4  
Raining pretty hard. Flooding fields and roads. No wind yet.

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #5  
Had a little over an inch of rain last night and lots of wind.

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #6  
Speaking of winds. This is one question I could use some guidance on. Why don't all the people that live in tornado areas have underground shelters. I don't think they would cost that much - do they?

I see time and time again whole towns hit by tornados and people running into closets or bathrooms....and then the whole house is either gone or in a pile.

If it were me, before I unpacked in one of those areas I would have a hole hug and a brick layer in the next day.

Anyway just wondering.

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #7  
Calling for 50+ MPH wind gusts in this area today...

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #8  
Its blowin hard here. On a posotive note more limbs down makes good fire starters

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #9  
We have some shingles off and the barn doors are blown open abit. Neighbor called this AM and he had some metal roof that curled back, we were both thankful everything is still standing. We will see what else is damaged now that it is sunny!!

Hope everyone is safe and didn't have much damage!!

/ I thought my wife was windy- wind storms in your area? #10  
Speaking of winds. This is one question I could use some guidance on. Why don't all the people that live in tornado areas have underground shelters. I don't think they would cost that much - do they?

I see time and time again whole towns hit by tornados and people running into closets or bathrooms....and then the whole house is either gone or in a pile.

If it were me, before I unpacked in one of those areas I would have a hole hug and a brick layer in the next day.

Anyway just wondering.

Some people do have storm cellars, but it's a very very small minority. I suppose you saw in the news about the tornado in Lone Grove, OK, which killed at least 8 people. That's the area in which I grew up, and we had cellars. I used to hate being awakened at night and having to go to the cellar. I was actually glad when we moved to a home with no cellar.

Sure it's a good idea, but of course, the odds of you being killed in a car accident are far greater than the odds of you being killed in a tornado. Like anything else, how much insurance can you afford? And how much inconvenience are you willing to tolerate? When a big tornado went through Dallas in 1958, the sales of "bomb shelters" sky rocketed, but you'd probably have a hard time finding one now.

I'm 69 years old, I've actually seen one tornado (gave me a terrible scare on July 1, 1972, in the Texas panhandle), and I've been to the scene of two tornados within a few minutes after they happened; terrible devastation, but I've seen a lot of auto accidents, including fatalities.