I WANT A TRACTOR, but ......

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #11  
Get a device with something to break up walls of words.
Lol not bad!

Seriously thought OP not sure if you want a tractor on slopes either. A tractor is going to mow slower than a ZT, especially a SCUT (cut width). Tractor would be very handy of course.

Is the ground all sodded grass? Do you need to keep it cut like a lawn? You could always go to a finish mower on a CUT (I would not go SCUT for mowing 5 acres but your choice). I am with @dodge man here, a 2 series JD or B series Kubota type size (get whatever brand you want) seems about right. Still nervous about those slopes though...be very careful what you choose and be sure it is safe. Tractors and slopes do not mix well. I am on mostly slopped terrain...but don’t have to worry about mowing anything. If I did I would have a different machine.

As others have mentioned, Ventrac type machine is built specifically for slopes, but compromises in other areas (ground clearance, compatibility with older implements, etc).

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #12  
I’m on 5 forested acres with flat areas, hills and slopes that I mow and maintain.

I use my B2601 to mow and maintain my property. I bought the B2601 as my “one and only” solution. I mow my steep slopes with the FEL removed and I installed 2” spacers to increase stability. The machine performs extremely well and with the 3-speed HST, it mows much faster than my previous garden tractor.
Will a Zero Turn perform mowing tasks faster and perhaps better, sure. But, the Zero Turn only does one thing, mow. And, your ZT options are very few when it comes to hills and safety. I looked real hard at the Cub Cadet Pro Z 972 with steering wheel and a couple other options including the Ventrac, but those machines are pretty expensive when compared to a SCUT/CUT. I optioned for the multi-tool.

If the OP is buying multiple machines...I’d go with a ZT with a steering wheel and a CUT.

Mike

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #14  
Tractors and hills can be tricky too. Thinking a tractor will be a lot safer may increase the risk, especially if your son hears you talk about how much safer it is and thinks he is now bullet proof.

I would try to drive one on your property before making the investment to check out how it handles.

I agree with others who suggested a machine made for hills. One bad accident is all it takes. If you do not really "need" a tractor, then mow safely first.

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #15  
What kind of mower do you have @Rdrcr?

I use my Kubota B2601 with a 60” MMM. It’s not as fast as a ZT, nor does it cut as perfectly, but it does a good job, safely, on my “hilly” property....with the 2” wheel spacers and ballast tires.

Mike

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #16  
Just my opinion, but compact or sub compact tractors aren’t very good on slopes, either.

Look for something specifically designed for mowing on slopes, something with a low center of gravity.

I am sitting probably three plus feet above the ground on my compact. That brings a pretty good puckerfactor when operating on slopes.

Mylawn tractor is lower and narrower and does the same .

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #17  
I’ve not been on here in awhile until recently. I’ve moved a couple times, varied acreage at different places but currently do not have a tractor and I miss it. I am now on 5 acres some wooded, some open with slopes being mowed. I’ve been getting by with a 17 year old 42 inch cut zero turn mower. It’s time to replace it. Currently it’s beating me up to mow with it on the slopes. I’ve put 4wheeler type tires on the rear for traction and it helped, I still feel like I’m taking my life at risk mowing with it on the slopes though. Mowing up and down I never know if it’s going to stop at the bottom of the steep slopes especially if it’s damp. Mowing along the slopes the crab walking really does a number on my back , it hurts for 3 days after. I need more stability and a larger deck. I currently will not allow my teenage son to mow it and he is a very responsible mature ( for his age) young man. I’ve been pricing scuts at dealers along with commercial zero turns. I could meet my mowing needs with a zero turn but I want a tractor with front end loader. I can’t really justify having fel for 90% of the time. I could justify the scut with mmm easily. Even though a scut loader is very limited I just want one. I also want something to help with leaf removal in the fall. To many leaves to mow/ mulch. Currently takes me 3 to 4 hours with a Stihl backpack mower times 3 or 4 different weekends to deal with all the leaves. I’m thinking rake the leaves up with rear rake of some sort behind scut then use loader to push them on into the woods or scoop them up for removal.
I’ve got quotes on Ls 25 hp scut , bx2680, Deere 1025. Also got some zero turn quotes mostly as an afterthought. Problem is when I sit in the seats the zero turns are more comfy and a bit smoother ride but I want a tractor. The zero turns are a bit cheaper but I want a tractor. The zero turns would mow faster.......BUT I WANT A TRACTOR. I kinda view the scuts as a toy tractor but I want one. There is a rear attachment called “big tool rack”. It looks so cool and I want one of those too. If allowed I’ll share a link.
Anyway to keep from rambling on here’s a question:I can afford either piece of equipment so am I crazy for trying to justify a scut when a Zero turn will suffice just because I WANT A TRACTOR?
Get a tractor! I had a zero turn and it ran down the hill on me and smacked the trailer; plus, the engine burned up because the engine wasn't pressure lubed and the perpetual side slope starved the high side of the splash lube. Zero turns are great for flat surfaces. Bad Boy makes a good Diesel one (Cat engine, I think??) but still, I think u need a tractor (more versatile) IMO. Check out the New Hollands or Farmalls. Deere's are good too-if u get an over 50 hp that they make the engine for., again, IMO. Kubota real good; and, REAL expensive.....

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #18  
If you want to stay with a ZT mower, Cub Cadet has some rated up to 45 degrees of slope! Check out a review here:

Having said that, I agree with others that if you have more needs than mowing, a tractor is never a bad thing (except for your wallet).

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #19  
I kinda view the scuts as a toy tractor but I want one. There is a rear attachment called “big tool rack”. It looks so cool and I want one of those too. If allowed I’ll share a link.
Anyway to keep from rambling on here’s a question:I can afford either piece of equipment so am I crazy for trying to justify a scut when a Zero turn will suffice just because I WANT A TRACTOR?
With 5 acres, you will definitely find uses for the SCUT. Having owned a SCUT tractor for many years, I can assure you they are not a toy tractor. They are an affordable alternative for most homeowners to allow light grading and clearing without spending the kid's inheritance. A zero turn is a faster way to mow but you are very limited in what other tasks you can do. I would look at a SCUT as an investment. Get a good one and it will last for many years and you will find uses for it. A lot of times, it is just handy to have a tractor with loader to carry tools and help with landscaping even on small projects.

/ I WANT A TRACTOR, but ...... #20  
Look. You obviously want a tractor. You will find MANY uses for a loader. The first thing you need for it are inexpensive ($150 or so IF you shop around) clamp-on forks. After using them, you can decide if you want to go full-blown quick-attach forks or not. With the loader and the forks, you'll be AMAZED at how many things to can do - Add some plywood to HAUL leaves to the woods, for example. Then, get yourself a cutting bar with TEETH - Like this one:

OK, so it's pictured on an UGLY orange bucket but it works great on a red one! Try digging/scraping with your FEL bucket both ways (with and without the BX bar) and you'll kill for one.

Then, this is the most important part, HIRE someone to cut the freakin' grass! Mowing grass is dusty, boring, bumpy, painful, repetitive, mind-numbing, never-ending, you-name-it. Watching someone else do it is relaxing and you NEVER have to worry about hooking up to a mower again. (I don't even own a mower.) Plus, you can use what you saved on the mower to help pay the grass cutter. IF you have a lot of grass, take steps to get rid of most of it - Ground-cover, trees, whatever!

You WILL be a happy camper, farmer, land-owner! (Less so if you get an ORANGE tractor, though! I know you'd never even consider a green one so I didn't mention that.)