I want to buy a new 425 this year but ...

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I am leery about the Subaru engines. I haven't seen many posts from later model PT-425 users. Maybe that is a good thing because they aren't having problems with their machines. I wish there were late model users on here to gauge how satisfied the owners are with their machines.

I bought my 99 PT-422 in Feb of 2013. It wasn't running and had many problems. The Subaru EH65 engined had been rebuilt in 2012. I have done a lot of work to it. It does run good, but sometimes it has its moments like cold starting, sudden loss of power and backfiring that have me wondering is this the best engine for this tractor.

I don't want to purchase a new 425 and have issues with cold starting and such. Do any of you know if the Subaru's have gotten better in the last 15 years?

I wish there were engine options for the PT-425. A small diesel would be nice. Would any of you have any reservations about buying a new 425 after having owned a PT with a Subaru in it.

Thanks
Frank

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #3  
Frank,
What low temps are you going to attempt to start it in?

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ...
Moss Road,

When the temp drops below 45 she is hard starting. I have to put heat to hit for it to start, other wise I will wear down the battery. I have other equipment with Kohler engines that fire right up at 20 degrees, although they do not have the hydraulic load on it like the Power Trac. Wish there was a way to start tractor with out the load on it.

I've not had any problems with my subaru engine, once i removed all the debris from the fuel system.

What debris in the fuel system did you have?

Moss Road,

If you sold your PT-425 tomorrow. A month later you decided you missed your PT-425. Would you hesitate buying a new one knowing it doesn't have a Kohler in it, especially since you have read most if not all the posts on this forum about the various problems with the Subaru engines?

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #7  
Moss Road,

If you sold your PT-425 tomorrow. A month later you decided you missed your PT-425. Would you hesitate buying a new one knowing it doesn't have a Kohler in it, especially since you have read most if not all the posts on this forum about the various problems with the Subaru engines?

Given the experiences of the folks here with older Subaru engines, yes, I'd definitely hesitate. (of course I would not sell it, but lets say I did). I need mine the most when its really cold out to remove snow. My Kohler starts very easily at 20F. Below that, it takes some finesse. Below 10 I always give it a shot of starting fluid. In 13 years of ownership, its only failed to start once, and that was because I flooded it. I had to pull the plugs, shut off the throttle, crank it over several times, put the plugs back in and start it at NO throttle until it popped, then increase the throttle till it caught. But its always started. Heck, I just changed the plugs and air cleaner in it for the first time this spring (12.5 years). Original starter, solenoid, etc... about 600 hours. On my third battery, though.

I don't have any experience with the fuel injected engines. So you'll have to ask someone that has one of the new Subarus how cold they've started theirs. :confused:

I don't have any experience with the fuel injected engines. So you'll have to ask someone that has one of the new Subarus how cold they've started theirs. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I don't think Power Trac offers the PT-425 with a fuel injected engine.
So you would be hesitant on buying a new PT-425 with a Subaru engine. That is where I am at and have been for the past year. I would like more information on later models, 2012 and newer.
How many PT-425's would you guess Power Trac sells in a year?

I have tried getting information about the performance of the Subaru engine from Power Trac, of course they will only tell you the positives. I would like to know as much as possible before I do pull the trigger.

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #9  
I thought all the new 400 series had fuel injected Subaru engines. Don't know why I thought that. If they are carbureted, that would be even more reason for me not to purchase one, based on the cold starting issues posted by Subaru owners. I would assume fuel injection would probably help with cold starting, but, again, I am making assumptions and have no experience with the Subaru engines.

I think I'd post the question to the PT400 series owners as:

Who on this board has a newer PT400 series unit with a Subaru and what are the lowest temps you have started it at? Is it reliable starting?

And I'd ask Power Trac specifically what engines they are putting in the 400 series and if they are carbureted or fuel injected?

/ I want to buy a new 425 this year but ... #10  
In my experience, the fuel injected subaru engine (EH72 FI) starts about 15 degrees or so colder than a carbureted model (EH65). I can now start it around 30 degrees without too much issue, and find myself putting the block heater on the oil tank instead of the engine for easier starts. In other words, as temps drop the issue becomes the load of pushing thick oil through the pump.

I believe the biggest concern with the Subaru engines is the high temp conditions found in the tub of the PT4xx machines. This is more of a PT design issue than a knock against the Subarus, but other engines may survive a bit better in the extreme environment.