I was snookered!

/ I was snookered! #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
It's been a while since I've advertised online so had forgotten what it's like. I had the old Curtis cab from my father's 4400 Ford advertised and had completely forgotten about it until I got a text yesterday asking if we still had it. I said yes, and we went back and forth a few times. Then he asked where it was, and I gave him the town it's in, telling him we are cleaning out the barn and aren't normally there but that my brother could meet him next week. THEN it came...
"I am out of town but if you will give me your address or account number I will send you the money, and my agent will pick it up."

I read that and thought to myself "You stupid :censored:, you fell for it. :oops:

I sent him one last text which read simply "Yeah, RIGHT".

/ I was snookered! #2  
I thought I was going to read a post of someone actually getting scammed.... Glad I was disappointed!
I suspect the next step would have been to receive a check for over the asking price, then a request for a reimbursement of that over payment amount.

/ I was snookered! #3  
It's been a while since I've advertised online so had forgotten what it's like. I had the old Curtis cab from my father's 4400 Ford advertised and had completely forgotten about it until I got a text yesterday asking if we still had it. I said yes, and we went back and forth a few times. Then he asked where it was, and I gave him the town it's in, telling him we are cleaning out the barn and aren't normally there but that my brother could meet him next week. THEN it came...
"I am out of town but if you will give me your address or account number I will send you the money, and my agent will pick it up."

I read that and thought to myself "You stupid :censored:, you fell for it. :oops:

I sent him one last text which read simply "Yeah, RIGHT".

Ive had similar replies. You just want to go find them and do society a favor.
Unfortunately many people fall fir their ruse.
Glad they didnt get you.

/ I was snookered! #4  
I've never purchased anything via Craig's List or anything like that. I sold a rear blade - years ago - thru a simple ad in the newspaper. Fellow showed up with cash in hand. And - NO - I don't have one of those scanners for fake cash. I don't really think we are sophisticated enough around these parts for fake cash.

And for sure - I never see implements for sale around these parts. At least, not Class 2 implements. Class 4 or 5 or bigger - yes.

/ I was snookered! #5  
I got a call last week. I won $1,000,000 from publishers clearing house

Dude that called could barely speak English. Adults were speaking a foreign language in the background. Also sounded like the call was placed from a commercial kitchen, and the dude was in the break room. It must have been a side gig while he was on his lunch break.

/ I was snookered! #6  
I got a call last week. I won $1,000,000 from publishers clearing house

Dude that called could barely speak English. Adults were speaking a foreign language in the background. Also sounded like the call was placed from a commercial kitchen, and the dude was in the break room. It must have been a side gig while he was on his lunch break.
Yeah, I was on my lunch break in Qatar, I figured you would be excited. Sadly we did not come to an agreement.

/ I was snookered! #7  
I was the subject of a scam last year that really freaked me out. They found out just enough information to scare the crap out of me. I believe they got the info (public) from the FMSCA website as I have a USDOT number.

I used to think that people could not be dumb enough to fall for this stuff. But they have amazing talent to scare people. I can see how vulnerable people can be taken advantage of by these scumbags and firmly believe that scammers and human traffickers should be subject to medieval torture.

/ I was snookered! #8  
These scammers are a real problem. They are getting better and better.

A few weeks ago I got a text message from my bank fraud department asking if I just spent Five Hundred Something dollars in Salt Lake. Reply "No" yada yada yada.
Of course I wasnt in Salt Lake, so I replied No. And then my bank fraud line called me.

He verified that the charges on my account, even the ones I DID preform without giving him access to my account. I double check the number he was calling me from, the actual number, not just caller ID. It was correct for my bank fraud department. EVERYTHING about this guy seemed legit, spoke perfect English, knew my account info, personal info, etc. Until he needed my online username and password texted back to the text I got the original text message from. When I asked why, he said it was to secure my account.

I hung up!

Considering if I just made a mistake by hanging up, I called the bank fraud department and spoke with someone else about my account. Took them a minute to realize that I was in fact being groomed by a scammer. The legit guy looked at my account and said everything is fine, but suggested that I change my username and password, and keep an eye on my account.

Then he gave me the best advise: If a fraud department calls, hang up and call the number. They can (for now) spoof the incoming call number, which will show up as legitimate on your phone. But they cannot intercept incoming calls to the bank fraud department. And of course, they will NEVER ask for username and/or password.

I almost got duped out of a lot of money and headache. I'm into technology and keep up with the latest trends. I did not see that one coming, well, not until they asked for my password. I felt completely violated and still, to this day, have trust issues with myself. Do I have the confidence to know that I will not be duped by a scammer?

Be careful out there people.

/ I was snookered! #9  
Last yr my SIL almost gave her acct access (with 50k in it) to a scammer but her brother overheard the conversation from the next room and came in to stop her - saying something is not right. And he was right. She would have lost it all, I'm sure. I'm getting phishing emails more frequently. You just won, or you just bought, or whatever, - don't reply just report them all.
You really have to stay on your toes these days.

Last edited:
   / I was snookered! #10  
I have started to ask politely whether they worry about the damage to their Karma by doing what they do. I usually get a "click" by way of answer, but it puts a smile on my face. Petty, I know, but it seems more effective than chatting with them in Hindi or Bengali...

Mostly, I let everything go to voicemail. And yes, it is trivial to fake caller ID these days.

All the best,

Peter