Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
Not too bad here, a lot more ice to the west. Had 3.5 inches of rain in the gauge before it froze.

Pic1128001.jpg

Pic1128005.jpg

Pic1128010.jpg

Pic1128011.jpg

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #2  
We've been getting some ice here too. Too icy for my truck to get out into and the trucks broke down right now due to a short somewhere. I walked to the post office today to check my mail.

Had to really walk slow so I wouldn't slide and fall on my butt. lol

I'm already ready for winter to go away.

I was cursing about the heat of summer now I'm cursing the cold and ice. :)

Last year I went spinning around and around in my truck on the road. It was scary but fun at the same time.

Then after I got the trucked straightened out and was gonna make a turn to go down my road I slid towards a street sign. Luckily I didn't hit it.

I was able to back up and then get on down the road to my house.

After that experience I don't take my little truck out on the road during this kind of weather. I leave it parked.

Stay safe everyone.

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #3  
Quite a few limbs down here in Southern Logan County, and lots of limbs so weighted down that they extend out into the street. Walked to the mailbox yesterday (about 150 feet) and heard two huge limbs/trees fall in the creek in back of our house, about 30 seconds apart. We lost some trees and a lot of limbs in a windstorm about 3 years ago, so we don't have a lot of limbs down, but looks like we have lost a Dogwood and some limbs from our Magnolia. The chainsaws will be busy first nice day we have.

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #4  
We have had 3 inches of rain, and it is still raining very lightly, but the temp is 39 so we are OK so far.

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15
Temperature went up yesterday evening, ice melted, no major tree damage.

Rain total so far is 4.25 inches, with more forecast: Click for NWS

wxf.JPG

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #6  
Wow, the pics of the trees with the frost on them is very nice. We don't get ice storms here, but we do get icy roads. We would be very happy to have 2" of rain, don't really need 3 to 4 inches at one time. Merry Christmas from Nebraska

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #7  
Stay safe. It looks like this event is tapering off, moving to the east. We got lots of rain but stayed above freezing this time. It is the wettest year of record for us with another month to go. As of midnight DFW Airport had recorded 57.90 inches of rain this year, beating the old record by more than 4 inches.

Wow, the pics of the trees with the frost on them is very nice. We don't get ice storms here, but we do get icy roads. We would be very happy to have 2" of rain, don't really need 3 to 4 inches at one time. Merry Christmas from Nebraska
Well it is more than frost, it is ice. Should have got the camera and taken better pictures, but didn't want to get out in the freezing rain.

Here are some close ups from a Google image search, to show how the ice covers the branches.

download.jpg

5.jpg

ice_storm_details_07.jpg

Pictures from a friend east of I35, south of Seward Road, of a tree on the driveway.

IMG_1821.JPG

Too much ice for the roots.

IMG_1820.JPG

/ Ice Storm in Central Oklahoma 11-28-15 #10  
It's amazing how that ice can bring a tree down or sag limbs and/or break them off.

When I was in Arkansas during an ice storm a few years ago I heard tree limbs snapping off and saw trees falling over behind the house one after another.

Luckily they were far enough away where they didn't hit the house.

I stayed in the house without heat for a few days. And I was so glad when the power came back on.

I did go drive my truck around once in awhile when the roads were clear of ice so I could use the heater to stay warm.

But even just sitting out in the cab of the truck with the sun shining the truck was warmer than in the house.

I can't believe it. But on the 10th of December we're supposed to hit 57F for the high. That'll be a nice change over this icy weather.

We're supposed to get a little more ice tonight but hopefully that's the end of it for awhile.