I'd like to understand grease better.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Grease seems like such a simple thing . . Yet you go into the store and there are numerous choices in the same brand. So it would seem there are reasons to choose one vs. another.

I'd like to learn more about the selection of greases. TYPES of greases more than brands of grease. To use with my sub compact tractor as well as a rider mower etc...

I noticed the exact same brand at the same place I bought it last year on sale . . Is now 20% less than I ever saw it on sale last year.

Its called Mystic JT-6 products and is commonly sold at Tractor Supply and Farm & Fleets and msny other outlets.

The least priced is Multi Purpose grease.

Next for just a couple dimes more is the "red colored" version called Hi-Temp grease.

Finally a couple dimes more there is the "green" version which is Hi-Temp Grease with Moly.

Last time I chose a 10 pack of the Red version because I prefer 1 grease for all my sub compact needs and I figured the mmm greasing needs has a lot more spin related greasing which might benefit from the HI-Temp. And I "assumed" that fel grease points are equally served by the HI-Temp as they would be by the Multi Purpise lower priced offering or the higher priced "with Moly" vetsion.

Opinions desired: Multi Purpose, Hi-Temp, or Hi-Temp with Moly ???

Also, any reasons NOT to use one version or another on all sub compact grease points ??

Here is their website:

Mystik Store - AGRICULTURE - Category Details

Last edited:
   / I'd like to understand grease better. #2  
Try this link for starters in learning about lubrication. Every grease type has it's ups and downs when it comes to performance.
Just keep in mind a little often is better than a lot once and awhile and anything is better than nothing.
Machinery Lubrication Magazine

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #3  
Havent looked at there products that you linked yet, but you mention key words like high-temp, and moly, etc.

But one important one I didnt see you mention is EP.......Extreme pressure. Thats what you want in a pin/bushing grease. High temp is of little concern in a low speed pin/bushing setup.

Likewise, EP isnt really a concern in mower spindles but high-temp certainly is.

I am not that knowledgable on this new poly urea grease and all, but what has worked for me is a 2-grease plan.

1. I use a synthetic high temp grease, which just happens to be red for high speed bearings. Which in my case happens to be mobile SHC 460 or SHC 32. I use this grease in mower spindles, u-joints, etc. Anything that has high speed bearings.

2. I use a EP grease with moly.....usually this is black in color and a bear to clean off your hands. USe this in low speed high pressure stuff. Loader pins and bushings, backhoe pins and bushings, axle pivots, ball joints, etc. Mobile XHP 322 is a good example of this.

I dont like moly in high speed bearings.

As for a 1 grease fits all......its a compromise with lithium greases. A high temp EP grease, like alot of the red and tacky greases, will work well in both high speed high heat bearings as well as in low speed high pressure applications. I just feel you can get a little bit better going with 2 greases.

And as I said, I am not well versed on this poly urea greases. IF they are better than moly in EP stuff????or better than synthetic lithium greases in the high speed stuff???? or weather they are even compatible with whats already in there???

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #4  
I'm no grease guru either. I've used the low priced grease from Tractor Supply on everything and never had an issue. I have switched to the better red grease for my mower spindles like LD1. But again I never had an issue with the lower priced stuff. I use John Deere corn head grease for gear boxes in my brush hogs. It is a flow-able grease. My Brown cutter actually specifies to use it. I remember back in the day all we used was a general all purpose black grease that was packaged in 5 gallon pails. That was the only way we got it. It was a lot of fun refilling your grease guns.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #5  
Frequent greasing with any grease is better than infrequent greasing with the right grease.

Molly is added to various grease types as an EP additive. Makes that nasty black or grey grease that stains everything. It's also what I use on my stuff.

Polyurea seems to be the most popular manufacturer recomendations across the board these days.

Pick one recommended by your equipment manufacturer & stick with it greasing often & you'll be fine.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #6  
The OP wants a multipurpose grease that can cover his tractor and lawn tractor needs with excellent service. His machines seem to have various other greases in them, so compatibility is needed. He wants "the good stuff", he likes getting it at a fair price. Sounds like a lot of us. Deere and Kubota each have, at least for the time being, have come to the same decision; shear stable polyurea. Massey may sell similar, the Lucas green Heavy Duty formulation may be similar. The Deere version, for example, is EP, very water resistant, compatible with most other greases, very high temp resistant, very tenacious (stays put) and recommended for spindles, wheel bearings, pins, U joints -- almost sounds too good to be true. And, it is relatively inexpensive by the carton. Here is a link to Deere's spheal on their greases.

John Deere Grease JohnDeere.com

I purchased a carton from Deere dealer last spring. It has been **** hot and it has not make a mess of my grease guns. No complaints, so far, but I had no problems before other than years ago with Mobil Synthetic dumping the lion's share of its oil out of the gun when not in use. EP lithium complex soap type would be another good choice with wide compatibility and economical. Choices are great, but probably best to be consistent with the type of grease you do choose.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #7  
Use the grease depending upon the cost of the equipment on which you are applying to . I use the grease what the manufacturer recommends so, there is not need for worry. My tractor is John Deere's and I use the their recommended product.

/ I'd like to understand grease better. #8  
I'd like to understand grease better.

In the summer of 1958, local boy Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and vacationing Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) meet at the beach and fall in love. When the summer comes to an end, Sandy, who is going back to Australia, frets that they may never meet again, but Danny tells her that their love is "only the beginning".

Oh, wait... not that grease... :confused3:

/ I'd like to understand grease better.
In the summer of 1958, local boy Danny Zuko (John Travolta) and vacationing Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) meet at the beach and fall in love. When the summer comes to an end, Sandy, who is going back to Australia, frets that they may never meet again, but Danny tells her that their love is "only the beginning".

Oh, wait... not that grease... :confused3:

I think that "grease" is easier to understand. Than the one I'm referring too lol.

Regarding the lubricating one instead of the entertaining one . . The cartridges describe themselves very similarly yet seem to be for much different types of purposes.

One rather obvious question is . . . Does one type of grease dry up or harden up more than another . . . Which then would imply it could "plug up" a zerk fitting easier or faster ?

Grease seems like such an innocent simple thing . . yet I get the feeling even its frequency of use varies greatly from user to user. Certainly I don't grease anything each time I use it . . . More likely once in Spring again in summer and again in Fall and then once in winter if I use it in winter. That's based on 75 hours of actual use per year or so.

I'm also on the lookout for a zerk connection to my grease guns that allows easier on and of connection that doesn't rely on push and pull pressure. I've seen pictures of it but never seen one in a store.

Also . . though my career has strayed far away from my early training as a machinist and apprentice tool and die person . . I'm ever aware of lubrication factors in most everything we touch . . yet grease seems so overlooked by many . . or at least relegated to the "someday when I get time" perspective.

/ I'd like to understand grease better.
Here's a simple question: If a type of grease is harder to clean off your hands (or clothes) than another . . Does that indicate it is more likely to :

A. stay working in the zerk applied area

Or

B. Dry up and harden in the zerk applied area or plug it up

Or

C. Will have more resistance to flow well to the desired area

Or

D. Tend to be more water and moisture resistant for outdoor exposure?

I guess I'm trying to apply knowledge or experience from other items to the thinking of grease. With caulk a cheap caulk can be hard to tool or use or it can be "thin" and not last long. Or it can apply easily but harden and not be flexible.

I realize I sound "simple" or like a non-mechanical person when in reality I've just never been around the needs of tractors or farm equipment.