Ideas for cannon ball extraction?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #81  
After you get most of the heavy debris out (which it sound like you have) a simple idea for cleaning up the bore is a flapper disk with an extension if you can find the right size....

If not a length of threaded rod, 4 nuts, 2 large washers & some 3M Abrasive Pads will work too. Just cut 4 - 6 3M pads in circles so they fit snug in the bore, then place 2 nuts (use one as a Jamb nut) & a washer far enough down on the threaded rod that you can fit the 3M disks you just cut (small holes in the middle of them) on with then another washer & 2 more nuts.... Put the threaded rod in you battery powered drill...

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #82  
Get a gallon or two of vinegar, put that in there and then top off with water. Let it sit overnight or two. Try to scrub out again. Rinse and repeat......

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #83  
Fill the area behind the ball with plain water, then drop the cannon into a freezer.
The expansion of the ice will move the ball,, even with minor gaps and poor seal of the ball to bore.

I have a novelty ice cube maker, a silicone mold. fill it with water, and a skull shape comes out.
Each time it is used, the two halves of the mold push open, but there is no leaking water.

I think the same would occur with the cannon,, the ball would be moved.

Once the ball were moved a little, it would be easy to move further.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction?
If not a length of threaded rod, 4 nuts, 2 large washers & some 3M Abrasive Pads will work too. Just cut 4 - 6 3M pads in circles so they fit snug in the bore, then place 2 nuts (use one as a Jamb nut) & a washer far enough down on the threaded rod that you can fit the 3M disks you just cut (small holes in the middle of them) on with then another washer & 2 more nuts..

Clever thinking, I like it! The bore cleaner I have would be much like you described however, it's to fit in your hands (even has rope wound around the hand held end to make it easier to grip and look nicer)

Thing is, the cleaner I have has these round 'pads' bolted to the end, much as you describe but, they are cotton or something soft like that, not abrasive. So a box of greenies could replace those. I totally get your description.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction?
then drop the cannon into a freezer.

Heh, I'm not sure, but I'm going to speculate that you've never picked up a (bronze?) cannon by yourself. It was all I could do to lift it onto the hand truck in the picture. Weight wise, it's doable but it's SO awkward.... no good lifting handles and then, with it intact, it wants to hinge at the pivot point making it even more unwieldly. Then of course, I'd have to cut it into sections to get it to fit inside the freezer at which point, I could simply cut behind the ball and push it out.

;)

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #86  
1655475685567.png

Cylinder brake hone up to 2 3/4"

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #87  
I'am not a gambling man but I think Richard will get the cannon ball out quicker than the TBN member on here that cound'nt break loose his oil pan bolt . Can't remember his TBN handle ?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #88  
Mark it so you can easily tell the orientation of the ball, maybe use a sharpie.
Can you maneuver the cannon so you can pick it up with your backhoe and "shake" it?
Or fix up a pully and hang it so you can reorient it easily?
I'm thinking
You've go it rolling
Hang it so it's balanced
point it down, let the ball roll
point it up, let the ball roll
rinse and repeat.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #89  
I'am not a gambling man but I think Richard will get the cannon ball out quicker than the TBN member on here that cound'nt break loose his oil pan bolt . Can't remember his TBN handle ?
Yup, seems Richard has dedication and purpose.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #90  
Hang it under 2 pallets stacked in a V...

In all seriousness if you can get it off the carriage without damage, build an A-frame to mount it on at a comfortable working height. That way you can rotate the barrel straight done. When trying the other tricks suggested at least gravity will be in your favor.