Ideas for cannon ball extraction?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #161  
If it's a lead ball, couldn't you just heat the cannon up like a crucible and pour the lead out? It would only take a few large torches, a few bottles of gas, removing the cannon from the wood mounts, making new metal supports for tipping the cannon from the melt point to the tipping point, some protective gear, something to pour the lead into so it doesn't go to waste, like a mold of a grizzly bear, or maybe even another cannon ball?

You're making it way too easy when you could make it much more complicated for our entertainment. 🙃

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #162  
I would make it a "Hold my beer" event.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #163  
3 drops of unleaded fuel in the flash hole,
generous length of proper fuse,
flash hole sealed to keep fuel gases in,
pointed in a safe direction like next to a cliff wall,
very large area free from potential damage from this event,
wearing safety glass and hearing protection,
light fuse,
turn away and bury your head in the ground,
and kiss your asp goodby!!

Good luck and be safe,

KC

F.Y.I. this advice may work or not work, and can cause joy, sorrow, injury, or even death...

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #164  
Do not use modern powder, or any other FAST PROPELLANT (either, gas, starting fluid) in that cannon.

The pressure vessel that is the combustion chamber area of that cannon was not designed or made out of materials that will withstand that higher pressure.

You are going to burst the back half of that cannon.

Putting the can of either back on the shelf was an act of God, telling you not to be stupid.

Sorry for putting it bluntly, but you are going to screw around and blow that thing up. Then you're sitting there dealing with the aftermath of a very large shrapnel grenade.

I don't know how else to get through to you. DO NOT think of this "cannon" as anything close to a modern arm, made with modern methods and material. It is not. Folks are going to get hurt and that cannon is going to get destroyed. The guy "selling powder" probably has little to no experience with black powder guns and cannons. You put modern gunpowder in that, and it's all over but the 911 call.
This is post #160. We're now up to #167 it's worth reading post #160 again!

The Blackpowder and Modern Smokeless powders are NOT the same. Not even close! Even the smokeless powders have a lot of differences between them including a different rate of burn. You mentioned that there are others in the area with cannons, get with them before you try to fire it and get their advice.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #165  
The Blackpowder and Modern Smokeless powders are NOT the same.
So much truth to this. I know someone who inherited his grandfather's prized .45/70 rifle. Those old rifles could only handle the milder loads of .45/70-- which he found out. To shoot the newer/stronger loads you need a modern gun.

No serious injuries-- he was wearing shooting glasses.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #166  
This is an interesting and fun thread. Thanks Richard for letting us tag along, keeping it light and humorous. :) I can envision your progress. This is a .45 caliber but I’ve never had the guts to fire it.
FC11F167-B82B-4AB6-B2E3-4BB9290E7F3A.jpeg

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #167  
If all else fails, ask a kid with a spud gun for help ;)

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #168  
I have a spud gun with a 2'' rifled barrel, I had to rebuild the body, it was tired after 20 years and in excess of 3k shots fired through it.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #169  
I have a spud gun with a 2'' rifled barrel, I had to rebuild the body, it was tired after 20 years and in excess of 3k shots fired through it.
Oh my, that's a lot of "mash potatoes".

KC

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #170  
I'm a little late getting into this conversation but have you thought about this?
Ospho OSPHOG; Ospho Metal Treatment Gallon Made by Ospho

I've had good luck removing rust with it.