If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment...

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment...
I apologize for not editing the first original post earlier. I'm new to this forum stuff and didn't know that was an option until it was pointed out in a recent response byXfaxman.

I really appreciate all the helpful information everyone has shared. I plan on renting a tractor and land plane for the initial maintenance and see how well that works. If it doesn't work well, I'll rent a skid steer and see how that works. By renting I will not be heavily invested in equipment until I can find out which setup works best for me. The problem with skid steer ruts mentioned by sandman2234 is one I have thought about already. I've had experience with that issue running dozers. Sometimes they create more problems than they fix.

oosik is correct that the area under the boats will not be repaired during the initial maintenance. It is just too much work to move all the boats. All of the boats require the boat lift and an hour or so to move. Fortunately, though, those areas under the boats - with a couple of exceptions - are in pretty good shape. I think thats because the boat lift doesn't drive on them very often.

Thanks again for all the help.

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #62  
I apologize for not editing the first original post earlier. I'm new to this forum stuff and didn't know that was an option until it was pointed out in a recent response by Xfaxman.
Apology accepted.

Now you can learn to upload pictures. :)

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #63  
I recently bought a business that has approximately 4 acres of gravel lot,a bout half of which is taken up by stored boats. The lot sees infrequent automobile use (5-15 cars/day), and less frequent use by a seventy-ton capacity Marine Travelift carrying up to 80,000 lbs of boat (up to 4 times a day). The gravel lot was in rough shape when i purchased the business and i would like to repair and maintain it. I know nothing about grading but can drive a tractor. If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment to fix/maintain this lot, what would you recommend? I've thought of perhaps a tractor/box blade, or a skid steer ("Bobcat"), or a backhoe, but am not experienced enough in grading to choose intelligently. If you have a recommendation, could you please include model and/or minimum horsepower. Oh, i should maybe mention the lot seems to have undergone some haphazard repairs along the way. There are spots with #57 slag, fine slag, fist-sized concrete chunks, #8 stone, sand, etc. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I think what will do you best is a box scraper with wheels. The wheels hold the machine level so that it fills in the low spots (and cuts the high spots). The 3 PT machines are OK (I own them all) but I use the box scraper the most.

L>

/ If I Only Buy One Piece of Equiptment... #64  
I apologize for not editing the first original post earlier. I'm new to this forum stuff and didn't know that was an option until it was pointed out in a recent response byXfaxman.

I really appreciate all the helpful information everyone has shared. I plan on renting a tractor and land plane for the initial maintenance and see how well that works. If it doesn't work well, I'll rent a skid steer and see how that works. By renting I will not be heavily invested in equipment until I can find out which setup works best for me. The problem with skid steer ruts mentioned by sandman2234 is one I have thought about already. I've had experience with that issue running dozers. Sometimes they create more problems than they fix.

oosik is correct that the area under the boats will not be repaired during the initial maintenance. It is just too much work to move all the boats. All of the boats require the boat lift and an hour or so to move. Fortunately, though, those areas under the boats - with a couple of exceptions - are in pretty good shape. I think thats because the boat lift doesn't drive on them very often.

Thanks again for all the help.
And with a tractor with FEL you can have a load or two of gravel on site to repair spaces when a boat is moved.