If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing?

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #141  
:oops:

They're not..... my theories, man. Easy enough to research.

But thanks and I hope you are happy with your buildings too.
You might have over read the research if you built a house that requires an additional ventilation system.

I am most happy with mine. Thanks.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #142  
These discussions are always started by wood burners that claim they are saving money.

I have no problem with anyone burning wood. If it makes you happy it makes me happy. Just be thoughtful when it comes to discussing the monetary side.

LD1 has made some very valid points. Like me, he doesn't care whether you burn your wood or sell it. He's just clarifying the monetary side. :)
Bingo.

Some people enjoy it. Kiddos to them. Nothing personal. Just don't claim something is free when it has monetary value that you are burning up in exchange for heat.

Beyond that, I could careless how you heat or how much you spend.

I know a guy that has an OWB that he feeds 5 cord of "free" wood to a year. All the time trying to tell me how much it saves him.

He has a truck, saw, sitter, and a dump trailer. Real similar setup to mine. Last time we had an argument, it was a point in the year where he was done cutting, has his 10 cords processed and ready to be tossed in the boiler. I had just sold my 5th cord of wood for the year and had $850 to show for it.(wood was $170/cord then)

We both put in equal effort to attain 5 cord. And he is gonna be happy and warm all winter. But rather than dump the 5 cord at my house, I simply dumped it off at others. I take my $850 and give to my electric company to power my geo.

Is he really saving $850? We both cut, processed, hard, and handled the same amount of wood. And that wood, either directly or indirectly is providing all the heat we need for the winter.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #143  
I see firewood sold all different ways around here, face cords, full cords, ricks and bundles. I think most are probably a rip off. I know what I'm getting with pellets and corn because it's all by weight not volume.
How much were pellets in your area this year? I bought 4 tons at 225 per this past spring.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #144  
Bingo.

Some people enjoy it. Kiddos to them. Nothing personal. Just don't claim something is free when it has monetary value that you are burning up in exchange for heat.

Beyond that, I could careless how you heat or how much you spend.

I know a guy that has an OWB that he feeds 5 cord of "free" wood to a year. All the time trying to tell me how much it saves him.

He has a truck, saw, sitter, and a dump trailer. Real similar setup to mine. Last time we had an argument, it was a point in the year where he was done cutting, has his 10 cords processed and ready to be tossed in the boiler. I had just sold my 5th cord of wood for the year and had $850 to show for it.(wood was $170/cord then)

We both put in equal effort to attain 5 cord. And he is gonna be happy and warm all winter. But rather than dump the 5 cord at my house, I simply dumped it off at others. I take my $850 and give to my electric company to power my geo.

Is he really saving $850? We both cut, processed, hard, and handled the same amount of wood. And that wood, either directly or indirectly is providing all the heat we need for the winter.
I think you mentioned this earlier. Around here all you have to do is start a rumor that you are selling wood and people start calling. Cash. No hassles. Well,,,,, maybe that more people call than you have wood for. :)

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #145  
Our total monthly electric bill averages about $110/month. We have a 2-zone heat pump system, which we absolutely HATE heating with. Our primary heat once the weather gets COLD (as opposed to chilly) is a Woodstock Stove Co. Soapstone stove with hybrid air+catalytic burn that we installed just over a year ago. It is a great stove! It replaced a 20+ year old Vestal stove (copy of the classic Fischer stove) which was also a great stove that put out gobs and gobs of heat, but it was a VERY HUNGRY stove. The new stove puts out about 90% of the heat of the Vestal (that Vestal could overheat the house, and there were a couple January nights where we had to open windows) but reduced the wood consumption by about 40%!

In terms of wood costs, we are always scavenging free firewood from people who need down trees removed, and we bought a woodlot earlier this year, and now that we have a WoodMizer sawmill, we will have plenty of slabwood and offcuts for firewood. It is true about how many times firewood will warm you!

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #146  
Our total monthly electric bill averages about $110/month. We have a 2-zone heat pump system, which we absolutely HATE heating with. Our primary heat once the weather gets COLD (as opposed to chilly) is a Woodstock Stove Co. Soapstone stove with hybrid air+catalytic burn that we installed just over a year ago. It is a great stove! It replaced a 20+ year old Vestal stove (copy of the classic Fischer stove) which was also a great stove that put out gobs and gobs of heat, but it was a VERY HUNGRY stove. The new stove puts out about 90% of the heat of the Vestal (that Vestal could overheat the house, and there were a couple January nights where we had to open windows) but reduced the wood consumption by about 40%!

In terms of wood costs, we are always scavenging free firewood from people who need down trees removed, and we bought a woodlot earlier this year, and now that we have a WoodMizer sawmill, we will have plenty of slabwood and offcuts for firewood. It is true about how many times firewood will warm you!
Just remember, you are scavenging free trees. By the time it's firewood it ain't free no more. :)

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #147  
These discussions are always started by wood burners that claim they are saving money.

I have no problem with anyone burning wood. If it makes you happy it makes me happy. Just be thoughtful when it comes to discussing the monetary side.

LD1 has made some very valid points. Like me, he doesn't care whether you burn your wood or sell it. He's just clarifying the monetary side. :)
I understand what you and LD1 are saying. I also will never claim that it's free. Yet considering where my firewood comes from; log ends from harvest jobs which are left after slashing hardwood logs; I couldn't get away with selling the wood. They allow us to pick it up for free, but if I started selling that would quickly end.
Another consideration which I will get laughed at for mentioning; my firewood is tax free. If I started selling it I would have to keep good records so that I could declare it on my taxes. Many or most people call me stupid for doing that, but it's just the way that I am.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #148  
I understand what you and LD1 are saying. I also will never claim that it's free. Yet considering where my firewood comes from; log ends from harvest jobs which are left after slashing hardwood logs; I couldn't get away with selling the wood. They allow us to pick it up for free, but if I started selling that would quickly end.
Another consideration which I will get laughed at for mentioning; my firewood is tax free. If I started selling it I would have to keep good records so that I could declare it on my taxes. Many or most people call me stupid for doing that, but it's just the way that I am.
I totally understand. Good post.

/ If it's cold where you live, what are you heating with and what is it costing? #149