If you live in California, stock up on parts. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #21  
I just want to be there, during one of their numerous power outages, when some one plugs in his electric powered generator.

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #22  
All I have to say is California better get busy building new power plants and infrastructure to get that power to people 24/7. What good is electric anything when all the power is shut down due to brownouts or possible fire danger? Is everyone going to buy big diesel generators so they can charge up all those electric cars and tools?

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #23  
It only moves the pollution, it dosen't eliminate the pollution.

Where is the common sense in California...

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . .
I just came back from town - listening to talk radio both ways (what my kids call 'dad's white rap'). Most callers were concerned about the impact on ag, on landscapers, the already frequent power outages and thus need for generators, and a long list of practical issues. One major focus became where all of the power to charge the battery powered alternatives would come from and opining that California did not have a power grid-system capable of managing all that. Even before this announcement there were concerns that California would not be able to meet the demands for more power. On that same station the news announced that there would be rolling blackouts in parts of California - though stated to be weather related. Another concern was the impact on the environment of both the manufacturing of and disposal of the batteries.

I am not against managing things to protect the environment - I believe global warming is a major issue. However, I am just not sure this is the solution, and am not sure it can be manageable on the stated timetable.

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #25  
The term Global warming has become a catch all phrase for anything we don't like about weather phenomenon's. It almost useless a phrase anymore.

We need to understand that their is climate and their is pollution, and both are mutually exclusive. If they would be honest and say we have a pollution problem, it would be a lot less ubiquitous and solvable. The climate has been changing for millions of years and to be Frank, no body alive today can say that todays weather is normal or not in a larger climate cycle.
Just like in the 70's, smog was a problem and could be relatable to everyone. We cleaned it up. Today, we have 95% lower emissions, but there is a vocal majority where they are willing to destroy the US economy for that last 5%. I just can't take them serious when they act like were are going to die as a human race if we don't get that last 5% of engine pollution.

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #26  
Will they ban them all, including existing gas powered equipment or just new sales? I know when tier IV heavy equipment regulations they had to get rid of their old stuff and haul it out of state to sell.

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #27  
I read another article and it sounds like they won’t ban the old ones.

The above article about how great the economy of California is reads like a brochure about what a great state it is. Of course it has the biggest economy, the most people live there.

They just had a recall election, Newsom won. I’m not saying the new law is right or wrong but the people are getting what they voted for.

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #28  
Is it that bad? It bans the sale of new. Doesn't say parts will be banned. By the time your gas machine actually craps out, there will probably be great battery options anyway. Not only that, but it wont go into effect until 1/2024 or later. My gas mower has been going for 14 years...still starts in 1 pull. My chainsaws are years old.

We all are easily transitioning from electric to battery power tools. My battery yard tools are all superior to their ICE counterparts in every way. I have been using electric weed eater, hedge trimmer, blower for over 7 years now. I will never to back to gas.

I do understand some differences with generators...its stupid to think a solar generator would come anywhere close to the performance of a gas. For instance a 3 KW generator can be refueled in about 3 min and run for another 12 hours. That same 3KW solar generator would take 30 hours of direct sun with a 100W solar panel (which is bulky anyway) to use it. Not feasible at all.

Chainsaws are a mixed bag for me at altitude. I hate tinkering with the carb limit switches all the time. Battery has no such issue, but also lacks the same power as larger saws. Once a good powerful 25in bar battery saw makes the market (and doesnt way 20 lbs) I will have one. Good riddens to ICE chainsaws at 9000ft!

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #29  
Soooo, what if you have an area that a battery powered whatever isn't going to cut it (pun intended)? Me for instance, if I decide to whipper snip all areas that need it, takes a good 2 hours and 2-2/12 tanks of fuel. I'd need a battery the size of a bus battery to do it. To mow, my ZT it takes 1-1/2 hours what battery powered POS will run that long.
Not to mention when the battery goes bad you're probably looking at over half the price of a new piece of equipment to replace it.
Isn't this the same state that forced us to have those ventless, gas spilling, useless fuel tanks?............Mike

You are behind the times sir. My battery weed trimmer will run for a few hours on 1 battery. It has the same power. You just need the correct size battery. Check out Milwaukee M18 products, they are amazing. Another bonus...your hearing, and a hot muffler. No such issues on a battery product.

I have had M18 batteries for almost 10 years...they last a very long time. Probably about the same replacement cost as all of the fuel you use in that time.

Agree, hate those stupid gas cans!

/ If you live in California, stock up on parts. . . #30  
Just waiting for them to stop selling gas.
LOL yes they will stop selling gas, ban nuclear plants, ban coal plants, ban natural gas plants, and tell everyone to help conserve power by turning their ACs off in the summer.....idiot politicians in Sacramento.

Status
Not open for further replies.