If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get?

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Ok, I'll clarify a little.
Considering replacing my 6 foot finish mower.
The main thing I would like is not only a rear discharge but one with a good discharge pattern. Not one that discharges in clumps like mine does.
Mine has a "chute" type discharge at the rear so it restricts the discharge some and causes clumping. I first took the chains off and it was a little better then took the chute off and it is much better but it also blasts the left rear wheel with clippings turning it into a big green grass ball!
I've seen a few that look like they discharge across the whole back of the mower. Wondering how well these work?

It also needs to be a pretty heavy duty mower. Not so much blade wise but just overall construction.
The areas it will be used on are not perfectly smooth!

Thanks for suggestions. Used in great shape is also an option.

PatentGuy

Tractor
LX 2610
The Brush Hog 6ft RFM I had was rear discharge, left a gorgeous cut on uneven yard, and was built as thick and heavy as a rotary cutter. If only my tractor could have pulled it faster. 25 hp not enough if you have hills.

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018),Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969)
the only mower that I REALLY WANT at this point is a Ventrac 4520 (not sure of the specific model yet)

DB Pilot

Gold Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 65A, L3800 Kubota, BX2200 Kubota
In 2009 I bought a phoenix 6' 3 pt hitch finishing mower for my Kubota L3800. No complaints. I was a little too rough with it at first so I had to replace wheel forks a couple of times and the belt tightening system had to be rebuilt but works fine now. I would buy again. Nice thing about rear discharge is the underside of deck does not need as much clean up as a side discharge. :D Getting the blades on and off requires a 3/4" breaker bar.

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL
I have the 7' estate finishing mower ( rear discharge ) from Agri-Supply and it leaves a nice finish as it discharges all the way across the rear, but unless you just want a finish mower, a nice 60" zero turn lawn mower will get the chore done faster, I have a 52" and a 60" Gravely ZT's and they are what I mostly use.

OP
wirlybird

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
The Brush Hog 6ft RFM I had was rear discharge, left a gorgeous cut on uneven yard, and was built as thick and heavy as a rotary cutter. If only my tractor could have pulled it faster. 25 hp not enough if you have hills.
Is it Brush hog or Bush hog? Model number by chance? Not finding much yet but like the sound of it.

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
I'd get another landpride, mine won't die after 30 years

OP
wirlybird

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
I have the 7' estate finishing mower ( rear discharge ) from Agri-Supply and it leaves a nice finish as it discharges all the way across the rear, but unless you just want a finish mower, a nice 60" zero turn lawn mower will get the chore done faster, I have a 52" and a 60" Gravely ZT's and they are what I mostly use.
I considered a large Z turn but first thing is I won't use it anywhere else.
I also tried one out on one of these areas and it was a rough ride.
I'll look at Agri. 7 is too big since I can't trailer it! But a 6 is good.

3gunr

Platinum Member
Tractor
mahindra 2538 mahindra 2810 cub cadet 7260 massey 255
I have an old big bee that is a rear discharge , It cuts very good and does not clump . My original woods was a side discharge and it was terrible For leaving rows of grass, cutting more often helps alot but with gas prices it is costly. We have had so much rain i cant keep up with it,

OP
wirlybird

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
I have an old big bee that is a rear discharge , It cuts very good and does not clump . My original woods was a side discharge and it was terrible For leaving rows of grass, cutting more often helps alot but with gas prices it is costly. We have had so much rain i cant keep up with it,
Yea, diesel is out of control. Cost me more to fill two gas cans yesterday than it used to cost to fill my Tahoe!

Birdhunter1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I've had my Woods RD 72 for two years and I have no complaints on it. It is a discontinued model but they have two newer 72" models.

John0829

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 850 John Deere 1025R
LandPride i show I would go if I were to be looking for a finish mower. Sold my bought used 6' last year for what I paid for it 30 years ago. Other than a few rusty spots where the paint had come off it still looked like the day I got it and all I ever did was put a belt on 2 years ago and a new set of blades.

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I had a 5' Woods finish mower and thought about going bigger. It cut fine but was slow and left me with a need to trim. Got a Ferris 3200 61" ZT and cut the mowing/trimming time down from 5+ hours to < 2 hours with no trimming. It has a full coil-over suspension so they aren't as bouncy and jarring as others I test drove. Was cutting at about 3mph and now closer to 10+mph and don't need to slow down except for the turns and can zip around everything with ease. I didn't want two items to maintain but needed to find more time each week with work/kids and was the biggest bang for the buck. The Woods was a nice mower. I would have preferred one with better wheels/rollers if I was getting another to help avoid scalping.

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Probably not what you were looking for, but this is my 6' finish mower.

PXL_20210403_173856143-X2.jpg

I can mow at 13 mph, so there's that... :)

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
Sitrex, Italian made and very reliable.

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
Everybody talking about how fast they can mow. I didn't move to the country and buy a bunch of land to spend as little time as possible out on it. I put on my noise canceling headphones and some music and I can stay out there all day. It reminds me of golfers who brag about how fast they can play 18 holes. And if I ever decide I don't have time to mow it, I'll just let it grow.

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I had a thread here about restoring some old finish mowers. One was a Befco 7' Rear Discharge that was built like a tank. Another was a Modern Manufacturing 6' Rear Discharge. As far as I can tell, it's identical to the one Northern Tool sells: NorTrac 3-Pt. PTO Finish Mower 72in. Cutting Width | Northern Tool

Everything looks identical and I was able to get new blades from Northern. I think they make them for Northern. I can't say it was as stout as the Befco, but it seemed reasonably solid. I have a belly mower and really don't have terrain suited for a rear mount, plus I'm not sure my machine could have powered it. Sold it for $800, in OK shape, but not super great.

Not sure if that has the same chute type discharge you were mentioning, but it's nearly full width and has chains.

I can't mow fast. Too rough and too many hills and turns.

Hughman

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33DA
I have a land pride 1672 RFM. Wonderful mower. After 5 years, zero issues or complaints.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I use my JD 570 to mow my "lawns". I have two acres of lawn. If I traveled much over 3-4 mph - a seat belt would not keep me on the mower. About 80% of my "lawns" are mowed field grass. And with all the associated bumps, dips, ruts - etc.

It takes me a full two hours to mow my two acres of lawns.

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
Everybody talking about how fast they can mow. I didn't move to the country and buy a bunch of land to spend as little time as possible out on it. I put on my noise canceling headphones and some music and I can stay out there all day. It reminds me of golfers who brag about how fast they can play 18 holes. And if I ever decide I don't have time to mow it, I'll just let it grow.
I hear you. With kids, sports, school, and work it is a juggling act. Once the mowing is done, I can get onto the stuff I really want to do on the property :)

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
I mow 7 acres. In the summer it can be every 4 days or so. It took me 4.5 hours with my JD x758 tractor with 60" deck. With my zero turn I can get it done in 3 hours. I love mowing, but I have a lot of other fun things to do in the summer so reducing mowing time a little is important to me. If mowing was my only 'hobby' I'm sure I'd think differently. In MN we don't get a lot of summer though...

And no, I don't mow at 13mph really. That was sarcasm because this thread is primarily about rear finish mowers on a CUT, which are WAY slower.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I enjoy my two hours mowing - this time of year. When things dry out - not so much fun. Like playing with go-carts in a dust bowl.

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I mow 7 acres. In the summer it can be every 4 days or so. It took me 4.5 hours with my JD x758 tractor with 60" deck. With my zero turn I can get it done in 3 hours. I love mowing, but I have a lot of other fun things to do in the summer so reducing mowing time a little is important to me. If mowing was my only 'hobby' I'm sure I'd think differently. In MN we don't get a lot of summer though...

And no, I don't mow at 13mph really. That was sarcasm because this thread is primarily about rear finish mowers on a CUT, which are WAY slower.
How much gas do you use mowing 7 acres? My zero turn uses a lot more fuel to mow the same area as my tractor does. The tractor is diesel.

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018),Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969)
Yes. But does your bank account want one?
that is the problem :)

does anybody here have a DIXIE CHOPPER ? I saw them featured on Orange County Choppers one time and loved it.

there are a few zero turns that grab my attention, but my Land Pride mower deck is fine, does the job

Last edited:

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I use my JD 570 to mow my "lawns". I have two acres of lawn. If I traveled much over 3-4 mph - a seat belt would not keep me on the mower. About 80% of my "lawns" are mowed field grass. And with all the associated bumps, dips, ruts - etc.

It takes me a full two hours to mow my two acres of lawns.
Yep. My “lawns” were all woods and cow pasture a few years ago. They would beat me and the mower to death if I tried to race around.

rgr33

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 950. LS g3033. Kubota RTV 900. Exmark Lazer Z
I have the Landpride 5 ft rear discharge mower. I bought it new I 2004, and it is still giving a nice cut with no clumping of the cut grass.

I don’t let my grass get much over 6 inches, so that probably factors in the results.
Overall, I am a big fan of Landpride products.

Hughman

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33DA
Why?

Let 5 of it go back to rough(er).
I too mow about 7 acres closest to the house. Why? Rattlesnakes and fires. We like to walk on the property with the pugs without stepping on a snake (which like to hang out in the tall grass). I also want to drive anywhere on my property without setting it on fire. If there is a fire, there is no fire department to get here before the house goes up in flames.

I only have to mow a few times in the spring. Mowing season is pretty much over here in May, so fuel used to mow isn't a real concern.

Your mileage may vary...

toolslinger

Bronze Member
Tractor
2x Case 646, 2x 8N, MF202, JD300, Case 444, MF 135, JD 140
Well, I would not get a damn 4' wide finish mower to mow the acres my family cuts... It works, but it's too small. I can whip around on the 8N with it, and get a pretty good job done on the "lawn" acres in 2 or 3 hours. When I run the same area with the Walker with the 42" deck, it takes way longer, but the trimming is done tight. Of course, the Walker beats me up with no suspension, and a lot of rougher ground.
Going to look at a JD 272 later today. At least that puts me at a 6' cut. It's a stopgap as I'm still working on getting my 6' finish flail going.
It's almost like my father and uncle just wanted to spend as much time as possible cutting grass... I like the grass cut, and I'll be cutting just as much, but the equipment is for sure going to get bigger/faster, and anything I need to do fussy trimming around is going to get simplified somehow... There's way too many other things I would like to be able to do than just cutting grass. (and yes, I love seat time, but I can be in the seat doing other things too.)

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
How much gas do you use mowing 7 acres? My zero turn uses a lot more fuel to mow the same area as my tractor does. The tractor is diesel.
I can't really say for sure. I bought it last year and it was such a dry/odd weather pattern that I ended up only mowing about 2/3 of the property and the rest was not 'normal' mowing' so I never paid attention to the stats. I'll figure it out this year if the weather is more normal.

My x758 is a diesel and would take about 4.0 gal to mow 7 acres in 4.5 hours. Roughly 0.9 gal/hr to run that. I know the Rogue will use more per hour since it is gasoline and a larger engine. But it also only takes 3 hours to mow because of the speed and larger deck (72" vs 60") so ultimately the quantity/cost of fuel per mowing may well be better than with the x758. Time will tell. The suspension and shorter mow times sure are nice compared the the x758 though.

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
I can't really say for sure. I bought it last year and it was such a dry/odd weather pattern that I ended up only mowing about 2/3 of the property and the rest was not 'normal' mowing' so I never paid attention to the stats. I'll figure it out this year if the weather is more normal.

My x758 is a diesel and would take about 4.0 gal to mow 7 acres in 4.5 hours. Roughly 0.9 gal/hr to run that. I know the Rogue will use more per hour since it is gasoline and a larger engine. But it also only takes 3 hours to mow because of the speed and larger deck (72" vs 60") so ultimately the quantity/cost of fuel per mowing may well be better than with the x758. Time will tell. The suspension and shorter mow times sure are nice compared the the x758 though.
I don’t disagree with you, which is why I bought the zero turn, but it uses most of it’s 5.6 gallon capacity to mow 3 acres. I haven’t measured precisely but I have to switch tanks to get it done. I can cut the whole thing with my tractor and barely move the gauge on the 8 gallon diesel tank.

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538
I mow 5 acres (used to be 10) of grass with a finish mower. If you're pulling the mower with your 3038E, I'd suggest getting the 7' wide Phoenix mower. Your 3038 can handle it. Rear discharge, very few clumps, but depends how long you let the grass get before mowing. The more length you cut, the higher the probability of clumping, as well as mowing with dew still present.

It also depends on how rough your ground is. Today I mowed the 5 acres with my neighbor's zero turn. Was thinking of getting one, but wanted to try one before I bought one. My "lawn" is more like pasture topography. Not smooth at all. The zero turn beat the snot out of me. I'll take my tractor and the 7' finish mower any day over the zero turn.

My 2¢.

mikester

Veteran Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
I had a 5' Woods finish mower and thought about going bigger. It cut fine but was slow and left me with a need to trim. Got a Ferris 3200 61" ZT and cut the mowing/trimming time down from 5+ hours to < 2 hours with no trimming. It has a full coil-over suspension so they aren't as bouncy and jarring as others I test drove. Was cutting at about 3mph and now closer to 10+mph and don't need to slow down except for the turns and can zip around everything with ease. I didn't want two items to maintain but needed to find more time each week with work/kids and was the biggest bang for the buck. The Woods was a nice mower. I would have preferred one with better wheels/rollers if I was getting another to help avoid scalping.
I had one of these and found it to be a POS. Cheap plastic or no bearings at all, light duty deck, crappy wheels, gear box failed within 5 years. The landpride replacement is built like a tank in comparison, still going 30 years on.

I'd get a rear discharge finishing mower that has 4 run flat wheels you can just drop on the ground and go, greasable everything with zerks that can be accessed without removing safety covers, bearings in the wheels, easy clean fabricated deck (not stamped) that doesn't hoard grass clippings, beefy spindles. Rounded front corners on the deck to slide past trees instead of sharp corners that tear off bark and get caught on rocks and fence posts.

OP
wirlybird

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
Probably not what you were looking for, but this is my 6' finish mower.

PXL_20210403_173856143-X2.jpg

I can mow at 13 mph, so there's that... :)
Nice if I could afford it!

OP
wirlybird

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
I had a thread here about restoring some old finish mowers. One was a Befco 7' Rear Discharge that was built like a tank. Another was a Modern Manufacturing 6' Rear Discharge. As far as I can tell, it's identical to the one Northern Tool sells: NorTrac 3-Pt. PTO Finish Mower 72in. Cutting Width | Northern Tool

Everything looks identical and I was able to get new blades from Northern. I think they make them for Northern. I can't say it was as stout as the Befco, but it seemed reasonably solid. I have a belly mower and really don't have terrain suited for a rear mount, plus I'm not sure my machine could have powered it. Sold it for $800, in OK shape, but not super great.

Not sure if that has the same chute type discharge you were mentioning, but it's nearly full width and has chains.

I can't mow fast. Too rough and too many hills and turns.
Yea, that norther tool one has the same chute mine Muratori has. Nice but if the grass is not pretty short it does clump some. The chains make it worse.
Good mower but for this I am looking for a different rear discharge.

OP
wirlybird

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
I mow 5 acres (used to be 10) of grass with a finish mower. If you're pulling the mower with your 3038E, I'd suggest getting the 7' wide Phoenix mower. Your 3038 can handle it. Rear discharge, very few clumps, but depends how long you let the grass get before mowing. The more length you cut, the higher the probability of clumping, as well as mowing with dew still present.

It also depends on how rough your ground is. Today I mowed the 5 acres with my neighbor's zero turn. Was thinking of getting one, but wanted to try one before I bought one. My "lawn" is more like pasture topography. Not smooth at all. The zero turn beat the snot out of me. I'll take my tractor and the 7' finish mower any day over the zero turn.

My 2¢.
That is one reason I am staying away from the Z turn. Too rough.
I'd go 7 foot but it won't fit on my trailer!

old and tired

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2800 hst
Bush Hog, 72" rear discharge finishing mower; RDTH72 - one of the most used (hour wise) attachment I have. Also one of the best built (like a tank and no rust). Bought it used for $750 and one of the better "buys" for my implement list....

Doorman63

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST
Normally use a 46” riding mower

I’ve borrowed my neighbors Kubota L3010 with a 84 woods finish mower……huge timesaver!!!

He has a second 84” woods mower I’m gonna test on my L2501 this weekend…….if it works I may buy it!

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I know some on here will bash this, but here goes.......
I purchased one of the 72" mowers 2 years ago and haven't had one problem with it. They have a sale on now with an additional 5 or 10% off.....

They also stock parts. Free delivery to your door. I know people that have one their backhoes, flail mowers, and chippers. No complaints from any of them.
Considering that they are almost half the cost.... well if it wears out (IF)... you can still buy a second one and be ahead of the game. My neighbor saw how well my mower cut and ordered a 60" for his tractor.

I have used and abused this mower, including using it like a rotary brush cutter.... abuse included cutting 12-16" yuccas out in the fields. The discharge is across the entire back, spreads the clippings very uniformly.

You have to make the choice however.... this is only a suggestion.

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I had one of these and found it to be a POS. Cheap plastic or no bearings at all, light duty deck, crappy wheels, gear box failed within 5 years. The landpride replacement is built like a tank in comparison, still going 30 years on.

I'd get a rear discharge finishing mower that has 4 run flat wheels you can just drop on the ground and go, greasable everything with zerks that can be accessed without removing safety covers, bearings in the wheels, easy clean fabricated deck (not stamped) that doesn't hoard grass clippings, beefy spindles. Rounded front corners on the deck to slide past trees instead of sharp corners that tear off bark and get caught on rocks and fence posts.
The Woods finishing mower was free and probably the late 80's or early 90's model. That one was built great. As with most things, they don't make them like they used to. Definitely get one with enough wheels to just drop it and go for sure.

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
Well, I would not get a damn 4' wide finish mower to mow the acres my family cuts... It works, but it's too small. I can whip around on the 8N with it, and get a pretty good job done on the "lawn" acres in 2 or 3 hours. When I run the same area with the Walker with the 42" deck, it takes way longer, but the trimming is done tight. Of course, the Walker beats me up with no suspension, and a lot of rougher ground.
Going to look at a JD 272 later today. At least that puts me at a 6' cut. It's a stopgap as I'm still working on getting my 6' finish flail going.
It's almost like my father and uncle just wanted to spend as much time as possible cutting grass... I like the grass cut, and I'll be cutting just as much, but the equipment is for sure going to get bigger/faster, and anything I need to do fussy trimming around is going to get simplified somehow... There's way too many other things I would like to be able to do than just cutting grass. (and yes, I love seat time, but I can be in the seat doing other things too.)
Trimming? What’s that?? 🤨 Seriously though, I’m with you, keep trimming to an absolute minimum.

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands

My 2¢.
You should have said "over THAT zero turn".

NOT all zero turns "beat the snot out of you".

My front deck Grasshopper rides decent and it's diesel engine is very fuel efficient.

SR

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
You should have said "over THAT zero turn".

NOT all zero turns "beat the snot out of you".

My front deck Grasshopper rides decent and it's diesel engine is very fuel efficient.

SR
You should have said “rides decent on my property” 😉

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
My property is pretty bumpy. Enough that it affects the speed I can mow with my X758 garden tractor. That's one of the reasons I went with the Bad Boy Rogue zero-turn. It has front and rear suspension that really does smooth things out and make mowing easier and faster. It also has a suspension seat.

DK35vince

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
I 'm wondering why if someone owns a tractor their yard is so rough.
Our yard was very rough when we first moved here.
I've spent a lot of time smoothing up our 8 acre lawn with the tractor.
Still has a few slightly rough spots, but night and day smooth compared to what it was.

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands
Bring yours over and we'll race! Trade seats for fun part way through. Bring your kidney belt.
Better idea, you bring your tractor and mower here, I can supply any kind of terrain that pleases you, to test them both.

How many acres do you want to mow??

SR

toolslinger

Bronze Member
Tractor
2x Case 646, 2x 8N, MF202, JD300, Case 444, MF 135, JD 140
I 'm wondering why if someone owns a tractor their yard is so rough.
Our yard was very rough when we first moved here.
I've spent a lot of time smoothing up our 8 acre lawn with the tractor.
Still has a few slightly rough spots, but night and day smooth compared to what it was.
Well, I can only speak to our place, but the "yard" is old fields, and horse pasture. Has there been time in the last 50 years to manicure it, sure... Then drive across it once when it's wet, and you have new texture to bounce across from the ag lugs.
Don't drive when wet? That isn't really an option as we're the drain for our section of mountain. You can literally hear the water running underground in areas of our place. Doesn't take much for the top to go to mush. We have enough slope that running turf tread isn't an option on any of the tractors. The Gator, and the Walker run on turfs (and slide around), but that's about it.