Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #1  

MadReferee

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader
Recently there have been several threads where dealerships have told buyers some things that just are not really true. For example, the thread where the dealer said a grapple would overload a tractors hydraulic system. Or another thread where the dealer said chains were bad for rear tires and shouldn't be used.

Are these dealerships hiring used car salesmen?

Are they even training their sales people?

Are they simply mon and pop operations who don't care?

Do they expect to be in business next year?

Are the big dealerships doing a better job?

Consumers today are much more informed about the products they are looking to buy than ever before. One has to wonder about dealerships that are bs'ing a customer today. Will they bs the customer when it comes time for service too?

In today's internet world it would be to the dealership's benefit to become familiar with what is available and what is being done to thier product by others who are much more savvy that they are. Old timers who have the "my way or no way" or "that's the we we did it back then" attitude will soon find themselves out of business.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #3  
How about a southern VT mahindra dealer telling me my tractor has a Kubota engine? I mentioned that I knew it was a Daedong (Kioti) engine. He tells me that it was the same as a Kubota. :rolleyes:

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #4  
If you would spend even a week in most school systems in this country you wouldn't be asking these questions.
On the other hand the "smartest" people I've met in my lifetime were non-college educated people.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #5  
Oleozz said:
If you would spend even a week in most school systems in this country you wouldn't be asking these questions.
On the other hand the "smartest" people I've met in my lifetime were non-college educated people.
What does the school system have to do with some dealers not knowing their product? :confused:

Tractor dealers are no different than any other profession. There are good and bad in all vocations. Not to mention people are much more likely to search for a forum like TBN to complain about a dealer (and to get help) than they are to praise a dealer.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #6  
Not commenting on the particular threads mentioned, as I have no idea of their circumstances, but I wonder at times if some of these "dealer told me wrong" threads don't start off with "dealer told me something I totally misunderstood" instead. And that isn't any better when you get right down to it. Sales people can be trained properly to explain important facts in a manner that the un-knowing can better understand. "Tractor experts" can glean useful info from sales propaganda. Sometimes the beginner gets baffled (by design???) with a fast-talking salesman, and walks away with giant misconceptions.

For any dealers reading this, 18 months back, I was out shopping for a new tractor. I had my mind made up. 3 brands, 5 models total to choose from. Then we bring in the salesmen. In 3 days, I was so disenchanted with everyone and their B.S. that I decided to put the money in the bank and keep the tractors I have. Good salesmen can make a dealer. Bad ones just exist.....and chase off customers with a pocket full of money.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #7  
MikePA said:
What does the school system have to do with some dealers not knowing their product? :confused:

That's an easy one, it boils down to ignorance. Not wanting to learn about your product or to lazy, or not understanding what your competition has to offer. It starts at an early age and follows you through your life.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #8  
shvl73 said:
How about a southern VT mahindra dealer telling me my tractor has a Kubota engine? I mentioned that I knew it was a Daedong (Kioti) engine. He tells me that it was the same as a Kubota. :rolleyes:

Did you get it in writing? hehehe Just asking that question usually stops them from spouting stupidities. I think there are sales men (and gals) that will say or do anything to make the sale, including lying. Heck, some preferentially lie. I've gone in and looked at the new tractors just to check them out. Had the sales people start in on a line of total BS and just let them run with it.

There are some good sales people, some great sales people and unfortunately some real stinkers. I always talk to the owner if a sales person is laying it on thick. They can either fire them, train them or promote them as they see fit. If you don't tell the owner about the jokers, they can't fix the issue and you can't whine about it!

jb

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers #9  
Oleozz said:
That's an easy one, it boils down to ignorance. Not wanting to learn about your product or to lazy, or not understanding what your competition has to offer.
Ignorance is a choice, nothing to do with the school system, that's just something else to blame and not take personal responsibility.

Farmwithjunk's first paragraph is exactly right and why TBN doesn't allow dealer bashing. You're only getting one side of the story.

/ Ignorant, uninformed, lazy or ??? Dealers
It's not always a misunderstanding by a novice buyer. I have personally walked into dealerships and have been told stuff by sales people that are flat out untrue. I even once pulled out a copy of a pricing book and showed the salesguy that he was dead wrong. I like to consider myself an informed buyer and I know when I am being bs'ed.

The point here is that this type of situation is alot more widespread than one would think, and it has nothing to do about bashing a dealership.

So back to the original questions.