IH 674 gears broken

/ IH 674 gears broken #1  

DavesTractor

Elite Member
Tractor
Changes often!
We took a IH 674 orchard model in trade recently that has some chipped/broken gears, and perhaps a bent shaft, in the transmission. Anybody on the left coast parting one out? The sheetmetal on ours is straight and the diesel engine runs great, so I'd like to fix it if possible. One of the gears is not available new, and the others are very expensive. I'm looking for a parts tractor with a bad engine if possible. Thanks.

/ IH 674 gears broken
How things change...I sold the engine out of this tractor and I will be parting out the rest of it.

/ IH 674 gears broken #3  
Glad to hear things worked out for you. I don't like parting tractors out but some times it just makes a lot more sense then trying to rebuild it. I have a John Deere M that is pushing its limits as to if I sink any more money in it to resell or just part it out.

/ IH 674 gears broken #4  
Dave,
Alot of those tractors were sold down here in the Valley. Myers-Ward Tractor & Equipment in Fresno area should have parts for those if you need them in the future.
Their number 800-344-9494
Chuck M.

/ IH 674 gears broken
Chuck, I should have called you first, but I sold the engine for enough to cover what I have in the tractor. The customer told me it had a bad trans when he traded it in, so we basically got it at parts value...and hoped we would get lucky and find a minor problem. Sometimes that happens, and sometimes you get a pile of busted gears. I now have a set of orchard tires and orchard fenders to sell off of it, plus the front axle, rear diff, etc.