IH674 front tires with studs

/ IH674 front tires with studs #1  

domains

Silver Member
In winter on ice it slides alot, thinking of placing 16inch truck tires with studs, Will it help? I can bring blower closer to tractor with a bolt slot but would have to cut shaft shorter and the angle pinch would get worst, not sure what to do, cut shaft or get studded tires or both?

/ IH674 front tires with studs #2  
Studs will help.
There are screw in studs available for this purpose. It's definitely the more the better.
There's lots of threads here on the topic but I've never mastered the search feature.

/ IH674 front tires with studs #3  
Studded tires will help a small amount, studded chains will help more.
Those tractors were light on the front ends so they do tend to lack turning bite.

/ IH674 front tires with studs #4  
You'll still slide with studs.

Leave brakes unlocked and use left & right as needed.

I used 2wd for years for snow removal, steering brakes necessary even with a loader on the front.

2wd with no loader & blower on the back you only want the front to stay planted enough for steering on the clear road, otherwise you want the weight on the drive tires.

/ IH674 front tires with studs
You'll still slide with studs.

Leave brakes unlocked and use left & right as needed.

I used 2wd for years for snow removal, steering brakes necessary even with a loader on the front.

2wd with no loader & blower on the back you only want the front to stay planted enough for steering on the clear road, otherwise you want the weight on the drive tires.
Thats what i do i steer with breaks, but don't want to ware them down, some say they last a long time

I placed new tires otherday on back and I asked guy 20 years in service if I used threaded studs if it would help and he said they rip out in time

But factory studs would not rip out, I asked If I placed calcium in front tires and he said would not help much, I need to weld myself a box up front and fill with cement i guess

cause tractor weights are pricey like 1000$

Those tractors were light on the front ends so they do tend to lack turning bite.
if i bring blower 4inches closer I don't think it would help much, dealer told me to do that

/ IH674 front tires with studs #7  
if i bring blower 4inches closer I don't think it would help much, dealer told me to do that
I wouldn't bother doing that unless the blower was so heavy that I was having trouble lifting it.
The service breaks are wet brakes and will last well, the parking brake will go fast if you drive with it engaged.
They are not cheap to replace but not the worst.

I wouldn't bother doing that unless the blower was so heavy that I was having trouble lifting it.
The service breaks are wet brakes and will last well, the parking brake will go fast if you drive with it engaged.
They are not cheap to replace but not the worst.
My friend has a 574 and forgot parking break on now one side only breaks alittle, Id have to look but I don't think I have one , i'm sure i never used it and brakes fine both wheels, must be a big job to replace with a cab, I might change hydraulic fluid filter this summer, it might be original , oil looks new on dip stick , friend changed his and said only a little fluid comes out and no need to bleed system

Do you have to bleed system when you change filter? maybe thats his issue

/ IH674 front tires with studs #10  
I have studded tires on the rear of my tractor with r4's and they do well on ice but my driveway is flat. I can still slide around but it does give a bit more traction and they seem to be staying on well. I only have a few that have pulled out.

any hills though and you really need chains if you are dealing with ice. I'm not sure how helpful the studs on the front tires will be if there is no weight to put on them.