I'm dying to....

/ I'm dying to....
Guys,

Thanks for the helpful advice. Looks like I'm renting a stump grinder for this one. Actually, they're small and rotten enough, I might just use an axe to chop them out

I guess if I was really very confident that it could/should be done with the hoe, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Always good to have knowledgable people to bounce these things off of.

/ I'm dying to.... #12  
My sister and brother in law, had some sort of pine brush growing in front of their house in town. I helped them redo their garden years ago, when they bought the property. We thought that a car could handle the tree, but since i was there with the tractor anyways, we used the tractor. I had 4 tons of tractor, spinning all 4 wheels on the pavement !!!
Later we found that the roots had grown into the wall of the house, even though it was just a small brush-like tree, with three or four 3" branches on the same stump. that was about 2 feet away from the house.

If you want to play with a grinder, you can do that, but you can also dig around it by hand, then cut off the roots with an axe and just throw the stump out.
If the stump is too big for that, you could also dig out, wash it with a hose, then saw off another 7", backfill and forget. Then backfill a bit more in 5 years when the stump has deteriorated.

/ I'm dying to....
Just a quick update:

The stump grinder was the best advice I've gotten all year. I rented it for four hours yesterday and took out ten stumps (including one from a tree cut down in the middle of the process).

The unit was a two-cylinder, 35 hp gas powered model and had hydraulic controls for everything. No seat, you walked along beside it (VERY SLOWLY....) but it did a great job.

Only mishaps were from getting the cutter wheel a little too close to my wire fence (dang it...) and getting it stuck in the mud by the ditch (2520 to the rescue....).

So thanks again for the advice guys.

/ I'm dying to.... #14  
And you blew this opportunity (excuse) to purchase a new impliment for your tractor ????????

/ I'm dying to.... #15  
100_0431 (Small).jpg This is my stumpgrinder it is an awesome machine. Shane

/ I'm dying to....
"And you blew this opportunity (excuse) to purchase a new impliment for your tractor ???????? "

If I was one of the guys on here who has acres of stumps to dispose of, I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, these were the only ones I needed to get rid of, so it woudn't pay for me (then again, since when has that ever stopped me from buying an attachment?).

Also, I can see the need to do a more complete job of removing stumps where a building will be located, and fortunately, mine were all in grass areas.

Incidentally, the only one that gave the grinder even a little problem was a 24 inch diameter hedge stump. That one probably took 15 minutes, but it is now history, just like the rest of them.

Spent a little time seeding and laying down straw yesterday, so hopefully I can get some grass growing before winter sets in.

/ I'm dying to.... #18  
100_0430.jpg Here you go Rob. I would highly recommend this stump grinder. Besides being a powerful machine it was a few thousand less then any other machine i was looking at.
Shane

/ I'm dying to.... #19  
Thanks Shane,
Boy that sure looks like a simple straight forward design. Keeping it simple like that makes for easier maintenance and lower production cost. They certainly didn't skimp on the gear box and cutter though.
Looks like a very good product.

/ I'm dying to.... #20  
Hi Rob yes the design is straight forward. I would think someone with some skill could build one, the only thing you would probably want to buy is the cutting wheel the cutting blades are on certain angles. If you want more pics let me know.

Shane