Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the visibility of the oil level on a engine dipstick?
Specifically on my 20Kw standby generator. I change the oil annually and because the unit is propane fired the oil is never really dirty so when routine checking or changing the oil (and due to my dimished eyesight) it's very difficult to actually see where the oil level actually registers on the stick.
Ideas, suggestions?

B. John....

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #2  
The engine oil dip stick on my 2009 Kubota M6040 is apparently fairly unique. The bottom four inches has be sand blasted, or at least, sure looks like sand blasting. So viewing hot oil immediately after an oil change is no problem at all. Now the dip stick for the hydraulic/transmission oil - that's a completely different matter. One of these days - I will remember to take it with me to the local welding shop where they have a sand blasting station - this situation will quickly be resolved.

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #3  
might also rough up the dipstick with say 220 emory, then use gun or tool makers blue die on the dipstick itself. idea is to set up some contrast. sometimes after pulling out the dipstick, i will invert it and reflect in sunlight. usually works

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #4  
Just lay the stick on your grease rag, can see the level fine.

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #6  
drill small holes in it to where the oil will fill up the small hole with a film.

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #7  
Heat it red and dunk it in water, it'll turn black making it easier to see and hold the oil better...................Mike

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #8  
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the visibility of the oil level on a engine dipstick?
Specifically on my 20Kw standby generator. I change the oil annually and because the unit is propane fired the oil is never really dirty so when routine checking or changing the oil (and due to my dimished eyesight) it's very difficult to actually see where the oil level actually registers on the stick.
Ideas, suggestions?

B. John....
I put some red John Deere hydraulic dye in my L3200 because the crystal clear hydraulic fluid caused me issues with the sight glass. Worked well for me. Probably work for engine oil just as well.

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #9  
Emboss the stick lightly with a lettering die set.

/ Improving the visibility of oil on an engine dipstick #10  
Heat it red and dunk it in water, it'll turn black making it easier to see and hold the oil better...................Mike +1
Or as a temp thing, clean the stick and color it with a marker. Good for those 1 time have to check someone's oil type of things.