In-Line muzzleloaders

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #1  

Will_C

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560, Toro 52" and 60" ZTRs, Kubota RTV 900
I know quite a few of you are hunters, so maybe some of you can give some advice/input on in-lines. With NY state now allowing scope use during blackpowder season, and PA allowing any muzzleloader during their early season, I want to upgrade from my Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine.
I am considering the TC Omega, Encore, and Black Diamond. I also like the Knight Disc Extreme. I think I would want the rifle in .45 cal, as I have no plans other than deer hunting. Any thoughts? Thanks
Will

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #2  
Will C, If price is of no object I would go with the Encore. Minute of angle at 100 yards. Brother in law has one. Actually has had two, but one was stolen and he replaced it. Great feeling rifle, especially off hand. Plus you can get a barrel in almost any cal. But just for muzzleloader I would get the new omega. Cleaning is even easier than the encore. I have the black diamond and it shoots excellent and I like it except for having to disassemble to clean and the noisy stock with the alum. ramrod.

As they say just my two cents, BTW I had to return my scout once for repair to thompson, cost only shipping.

If you go with the bl diamond or any thompson they pattern better with 150 grains if you use their sabot. It must be in the flexibility and gas pressure in the sabot.

Good luck,
Patrick

/ In-Line muzzleloaders
Poorboy; Thanks for your feedback. I am fond of TC. I have the White Mtn. carbine and a Penn. hunter in flintlock. I sure like the Encore, but I wonder if I would utilize the switch barrel. Already have guns I don't shoot enough.
Will

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #4  
My son has a Knight Disc and I have a Thompson Center, Black Diamond. Both are good rifles and I don't think you would be disapointed with either. My son ended up with the knight because he is left handed and the safety and bolt were more easily assessable to him. I went with the T.C. so when we are out target shooting and we sat the rifles down, we would'nt inadvertently double load a rifle. He has a 3x6 variable scope and I stuck with the True Glow sights. I like to rib him that an old man with tri-focals can out shoot a young man with a scope. It makes for some interesting competition./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #5  
I have the Knight MK-85 50 cal. Excellant muzzleloader. I have both tru-glo sights and 4x scope with see through mounts.
I moved from a TC Hawken. Loved to shoot it but hated to carry it all day long. Then went to a Knight LK-93. Had that for a couple of years and upgraded to the MK-85 stainless with thumb-hole composite stock.
Where I would have to run a swab down my Hawken after a couple of shots to keep the accuracy, I can shoot my Knight 6 or 7 times prior to seeing some accuracy loss. Just my findings. Good luck in your search.

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #6  
Will C.

I have the T/C Thunderhawk(old Weaver 2.5x scope), my wife has the Black Diamond (old Weaver 3x), and my dad has the Encore (new Weaver 1-3x). With 150 grain Pyrodex pellet loads, T/C mag sabot, and 240 gr Hornady XTP bullets, all are capable of 4" three shot groups at 200 yards. I'm partial to mine, of course, but all have their advantages. I think it would be tough to beat a stainless Encore, but the Omega looks very promising.

I have had nothing but excellent service from T/C in all of my dealings with them. Truely a fantastic American company with great products. If I sound partial to T/C, I because I am./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Working up a load makes all of the difference in a muzzleloader, as you well know I'm sure. Your results may vary. Previous to developing the pellet load, my best load in the Thunderhawk was 90 grains of Pyrodex RS, T/C break-o-way sabot, and Hornady 240 gr xtp. This would give me consistent 2.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yards, and accounted for 3 deer. I've found that the shallow rifling on these rifles doesn't lend itself well to conical bullets. Best load was capable of only 3" 3-shot groups at 50 yards, but did account for one deer.

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #7  
I have an encore in 50. and i love it. i had a firehawk and hated it.
the encore is the last muzzleloader you'll buy. you pay for them but i think it was worth it.i have shot knights and have friends that have them . they want an encore now easy to clean , no blow back you can put any scope on it you want and the blow back from the primer won't ruin it. everything goes down the barrel.
And then buy a rifle barrel and you have a rifle for rifle season. i bought a 308 bbl and the thing shoots wonderful .
Just my observations .

/ In-Line muzzleloaders
Along with the feedback I have gotten from my local hunting buddies, it looks like I will be shoping for an Encore or an Omega. I will just have to debate with myself about whether or not the switch barrel versatility of the Encore would be something I would take advatage of. I now have three rifles that I don't spend near enough time with. Thanks for everyone's help.
Will

/ In-Line muzzleloaders
I was looking through my old posts, and find this one. I did get a T/C .50cal. Encore this past Christmas. What a rifle! I topped it with a 3-9x Leupold scope, and can shot 1.5" groups at 100 yards with 200 grain Hornady Shockwaves and 130 grains of Pyrodex. All your advice was right on!
Will

/ In-Line muzzleloaders #10  
Sounds like a plan. Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif