Income Taxes: Turbo Tax - H&R Block - File Your Own?

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Looking
Well I'm on the fence to continue paying our tax guy $250 again for what is now a very simple return. I just did it by hand using the 1040 .pdf file and know what the results should be. I've always done my own but the past 20 years we have used her family friend tax guy and the bill was $340 last year due to several phone calls and emails required.

Would mail it in but want to file electronically for the refund just need the access to do so.

Leaning towards pulling the trigger for the Turbo Tax or H&R block versions.

So if I use a pay to play version this fee is every year right? I'll have to weigh that against the $250 cost and no headache. Oh wait, I've already done the headache part :confused2:......and I keep my crap in order every year :thumbsup:

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
I used TurboTax for about 15 years but paid a CPA to prepare our 2019 and 2020 returns. I think I'm going back to TT next year.

Bird

Epic Contributor
I've been using TurboTax for so many years that I've lost count. And I'll probably continue.

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I had been using a tax service for quite a long time. A few years ago, just for fun, I ran my numbers through TT after he had done my return. Viola! The numbers were exactly the same. All that time his "expertise" was simply punching in my numbers on TT. Now I just pay myself :)

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I've been doing mine for years, but this year paid somebody after I neglected to check off the "I have health insurance" box in 2017... which finally caught up to me. It cost me $145 for them to file for me, and $75 to refile my 2017 return. Hopefully going forward they will save me some money, but for now I just don't feel like dealing with it.

Chrisb009

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2645 Cab
I always prepare my own taxes and run the business books. Some years it can get complicated especially when involving pass through entities but anyone can perform the work. Biggest hurdle, for most, is the amount of time required to research and understand the new tax laws.

-Chris

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
I do the HR Block version and have for many years, it was Taxcut early on. Or HR Block bought Taxcut. Only one year when I bought and sold houses I went to a tax professional. My federal taxes were 6 digits that year so I wanted them professionally done.

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I've always done my own except when working overseas when the company did it for me. I have been using H&R Block software for years and it seems to work well. If you follow the process and make sure you understand the questions you are answering, it will keep you out of trouble. Because I'm a repeat user, I always get mailed discount offers. This year I paid $19.95 for Federal and State software.

BrkMstr

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti / CK3510se HST
For the last eight years I've used TT - mine are already filed electronically (officially when IRS accepts them - TT holds them till then) - what I owe will be automatically deducted April 15 - it's simple, easy and very cost efficient.....

OP
P

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Looking

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
The services like HR Block and TT pull information from the previous year backup file so you get a bit of a running start.

MAD777

Silver Member
Tractor
None yet
I've used Turbo Tax since they began. Always happy with them.

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Ugh..... I use a tax preparation service. I have two pass through entities and get a lot of activity moving stuff around. My prep work is like an old fashion crime scene interview with the preparer. Hoping next year will be simpler as I closed out one business line this year but went all in on another.

Well maybe in two years...lol.

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538
I've done my own taxes since I was toilet trained. For a decades I used Turbo Tax. Then...in 2016 or there abouts, TT decided not to include many of the forms I used in their Basic software package, in order to "force" us into buying the more expensive "Deluxe or Premium" versions.. Simple stuff like Sch D, some health insurance stuff, nothing complicated. So I switched to HRBlock about 4 years ago. Never looked back. Has all of the forms, easy to use, and you can get the basic program (without state) for about $25. And HRB will import your TT return from last year to do the HRB return this year.

TT lost a ton of business and got raked over the coals on social media and lousy reviews on their website, as well as Amazon's, Sams, Costco, etc. A year or 2 later TT relented and added back some, not all, of the forms needed, and begged all of us that left to come back. I told them to "go pound sand".

Re: using a CPA/accountant...if you look at the CPA "worksheet" that you need to fill out, it is in the same exact order as the 1040. The worksheet just looks different. So they have a "dooser" input your numbers that you put together in the first place, into their software and then the CPA "reviews" it, and charges you $250. Absurd IMO.

Now...having said all of that, you DO need to be diligent in doing your own taxes. The key is not to wait til the last minute, but rather break up the input of data into several sessions. Personal info and wages in one session, interest-Dividends in another, cap gains on investments in another, etc. That way you won't be over-whelmed and get frustrated, lazy and make mistakes, or more likely, omissions. HRB does a good job of guiding you thru the process, and there is a ton of info embedded in the program, and on their website to help you thru stuff. And, you can always do a topic search on the IRS.gov website to get the info you need.

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
I've done my own taxes since I was toilet trained. For a decades I used Turbo Tax. Then...in 2016 or there abouts, TT decided not to include many of the forms I used in their Basic software package, in order to "force" us into buying the more expensive "Deluxe or Premium" versions.. Simple stuff like Sch D, some health insurance stuff, nothing complicated. So I switched to HRBlock about 4 years ago. Never looked back. Has all of the forms, easy to use, and you can get the basic program (without state) for about $25. And HRB will import your TT return from last year to do the HRB return this year.

Another vote for Block. I switched to them maybe 7-8 years ago for the reasons you mentioned, plus the fact that it was ~$10 cheaper. We don't have a state income tax here so I don't need to worry about that, though I do have some income from a neighboring state so I do need to file there. Unfortunately, their calculation methods are a bit convoluted and since only 20-25% of my income is from that state I'm not sure paying extra for the state edition would make things any less frustrating. All in all I'm pleased with it.

Now...having said all of that, you DO need to be diligent in doing your own taxes. The key is not to wait til the last minute, but rather break up the input of data into several sessions. Personal info and wages in one session, interest-Dividends in another, cap gains on investments in another, etc. That way you won't be over-whelmed and get frustrated, lazy and make mistakes, or more likely, omissions.

Or for that matter discover you're missing some info and have to scramble to get it. You're right, procrastination doesn't pay here.

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
I used Tax Act for years until 3 years ago when they went online only. I preferred the free download version so I could take my time and work on my own PC before it went up for filing. I bought the $14.95 version once but most years I used the free version and it worked fine. The paid version would let you import your info from the previous year so it would save 5 minutes of typing.

3 years ago I discovered there were free services for seniors that would do your taxes for you. The wife and I have been using those every since. I have used two different versions. One you stand in line and wait and one we found would give you an appointment. The appointment version I signed up for from the IRS web site. Easy Peasy and FREE!

Bird

Epic Contributor
Way back when I was about 23 years old, and had always done my own short form tax return, came a year in which I figured I was going to owe more than I had, so I visited the Federal Building to ask the tax folks about a payment plan. However, the gentleman I talked to refigured everything, and instead of me owing, he got me a small refund.:cool2: I know most of us complain about the IRS but they sure ain't all bad.

One year, when I was still working in the Post Office and filed the short form (how many remember the old form on a little card with 7 or 8 lines?), later in the year I got a letter from the IRS that my tax return was one of those randomly selected for audit and an error was found on line number (I don't remember the number) and that I had a $10 refund coming. I later got a check for $10 and spent it, but I had kept a copy of what I filed and there was NO error on it.

When we bought our first house, instead of doing the short form myself, I went to H&R Block. I have no idea how they do things now, but back then, an elderly guy got it all done, and I paid him, but then he said he had to send it in to their office to be checked and then they'd send it to me to mail. When I got it in the mail, on a Saturday morning, it had some of my forms and some of someone else's forms and a notation of the errors they'd found. Since they were closed on weekends in those days, I simply redid everything myself, filed the return, and then called H&R Block Monday and told them I thought they owned me a refund of what I'd paid them. The guy said, "Sure you could do it yourself, after you had our figures." And I told him, "I'm mailing you paperwork to you, and if you can honestly tell me that anyone could use your figures for anything, then you owe me nothing. Otherwise I want a refund." They sent the refund.

When I retired from the police department, the city was late that year getting all the paperwork out, so it was getting near the deadline when I got all the paperwork done, and I decided to contact one of the biggest firms in Dallas to review everything I'd done and tell me how to correct it. The guy asked lots of questions that day, and finally told me I had everything done and that he couldn't help me. I asked how much I owed him and he said, "Nothing, since I can't help you." So my wife and I took off for Alaska the next day. But a month or so later, I got a letter from the IRS wanting about $150 for not paying in enough in advance DURING the year. I just sent them a check.

When we bought the little farm down in the country, I had some new forms and entries to make, so when I finished, I took everything to a tax accountant and left it with him a few days. When I went back to get it, he said it looked good to him, and when I asked how much I owed him, he said, "Nothing."

So ever since then I just use TurboTax. I think they say if you pay an extra $45 they'll represent you if you get audited. I've never paid for that service and have never needed it.

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
No matter what method you use, having the records readily available is the key, as others have noted.

During the year, anytime I get anything that might be tax related, I scan it into a pdf file and put it into a folder on the computer. Then I put the hard copy into a file. When it comes time to the do the taxes, everything is right there. This method developed from years of not doing it right. :laughing:

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
I use turbotax for both personal and business taxes. I usually buy the deluxe edition for personal, and their business edition for my s-corp return. Once you do it a few times, it easy to do, and is actually kind of fun, at least for me. I'll echo what others are saying, the key is to have all your data sorted out beforehand. I use itsdeductable.com to keep track of our donations made. I use quickbooks for both work and home record-keeping. For the home, I just created quickbooks accounts relevant to home expenses, no big deal. I just make sure to keep up with entering all relevant info on time, I don't let it pile up.

So at tax time, alls I have to do is print out the year's profit & loss report, and all the data is right there. Turbotax links up with the itsdeductable.com account, and all our donation stuff gets uploaded that way. So all that's left to do is put in the w-2's, and all the stuff from the banks, mortgage interest, etc, and I'm done.

OP
P

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Looking
Punched the Turbo Tax return today. Had a few hiccups and a couple of things not clear like HSA contributions but I got it all figured out. Matched 100% to my manual 1040 I already did. Cost me $40 and another $40 for he state. So far so good, pretty happy with it.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I've had my taxes prepared by a local CPA for over twelve years now. The peace of mind - knowing that is has been done correctly - more than outweighs the minor cost.

tibadoe

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC1723EB Ramrod 915 TM Toro 314-8
Been using TT for a few years - no issues.

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Well I'm on the fence to continue paying our tax guy $250 again for what is now a very simple return. I just did it by hand using the 1040 .pdf file and know what the results should be. I've always done my own but the past 20 years we have used her family friend tax guy and the bill was $340 last year due to several phone calls and emails required.

Would mail it in but want to file electronically for the refund just need the access to do so.

Leaning towards pulling the trigger for the Turbo Tax or H&R block versions.

So if I use a pay to play version this fee is every year right? I'll have to weigh that against the $250 cost and no headache. Oh wait, I've already done the headache part :confused2:......and I keep my crap in order every year :thumbsup:

Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
Do any of you guys have to make quarterly estimated tax payments? I am required because most of my income is not subject to tax withholdings.

Due to the quarterly estimates, I feel I’ve got to use an accountant.

MoKelly

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
I've used a spreadsheet from the site below for a good number of years and it's been accurate.
Federal Income Tax Spreadsheet Form 14 (Excel Spreadsheet) Income Tax Calculator

Once you get the hang of what numbers go where, it pretty much fills the rest out for you. Libre Office works with it if you don't have a newer version of Excel.

Wow, that's incredible. First I have seen that. Maybe I will try it out and compare to TT.

I used MacInTax in 1991 and '92, then TurboTax from '93 (got a Windows computer) to present. The 2 have long since merged. But I have used Excel for even longer, mostly as a stock and option trading log.

As others have noted, the harder part of prepping one's tax return is gathering the data and organizing it. Typing it in to the computer is the easy part.

BTW, I hear the "business" version of TurboTax now even handles estates and trusts (forms 1041, 706, etc.).

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Do any of you guys have to make quarterly estimated tax payments? I am required because most of my income is not subject to tax withholdings.

MoKelly

Another reason I see the person. Especially so with my job history and the economy of the last decade.

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320

MoKelly

I have to do this on state tax, but so far, not Federal. It's not that complicated for me. I just take my tax liability for the last year, divide it by 4, and send that in quarterly. In our state, as long as you base it on what you owed the previous year, you avoid the penalty, even if you underpay. I'm not quite sure how Federal works, but it shouldn't be that complicated and shouldn't require an accountant.

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Used Turbo Tax for quite a few years but started making mistakes picked up by our investment advisor. Then, about 6 or 8 years ago, started using a local accounting firm. Wife compiles the stuff for him. I'm out of it. Guy probably saves us enough on taxes to pay for his small fee.

Ralph

Citydude

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HSTC

MoKelly

I use an accountant since I pay quarterly taxes as well. I got audited once by the IRS over a simple mistake years ago. Not a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744

Due to the quarterly estimates, I feel I致e got to use an accountant.

MoKelly

Yep...I have to file quarterly estimated tax with fed and state IRS. My income is predictable so it is easy to estimate next years amounts. I also file my own taxes old school.

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST
I've had my taxes prepared by a local CPA for over twelve years now. The peace of mind - knowing that is has been done correctly - more than outweighs the minor cost.

Same here. I used TT for many years but switched to a CPA five years ago when I got the farm to deal with. She's worth the extra $100 or so above the cost of TT to me.

tradosaurus

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
Turbo Tax for the last 10 yrs.
Also pay the extra $50 for audit protection.
Hopefully won't ever need it since the IRS gestapo has almost unlimited powers.

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST

Due to the quarterly estimates, I feel I致e got to use an accountant.

MoKelly

I just make one April annual payment and get it over with rather fooling with the quarterlies. But my income is pretty predictable.

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
For those who pay estimated tax quarterly (Fed or state), TT or other software does that for you, too, including multiple ways to calculate it. Then it prints the coupons for you to send in and the due dates. I have paid est tax for fed and state for many years, but no city tax here on the left coast. I did pay city income tax many years ago when I lived in Ohio.

I suppose many folks on TBN have to pay city income tax, too? Is that handled with paper returns?

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
Yep...I have to file quarterly estimated tax with fed and state IRS. My income is predictable so it is easy to estimate next years amounts.

Same here. First couple years of self-employment were a little tricky since I didn't have the history to go by, but as someone else mentioned I use the previous year's income as a reference...it doesn't change that much year to year. Don't have state tax here, just federal.

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
Early in my "Career" I sold some employee stocks and so I thought I should use a Tax company, I can't remember if it was Block or some other company. I had all my paperwork and sat down with this "seasonal" worker that must have just been trained...somewhat. I had to keep correcting them on several entries, one being the stocks. After that encounter I figured why the heck am I paying them 3 to 4 times what TurboTax costs if I still have to figure it all out. Been using TT for many years, decades actually.

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bearsixty, that's exactly my experience the few times I went to a tax service the 5 some times in the last 20 some years.

Look here's the thing, it's ok to be lazy and hire out, I totally don't judge that. But if you're talking personal taxes, that's what you're doing by hiring out. This stuff is just too hard to screw up with turbotax, to justify going to h&r block or whatever because you're worried you'd screw up and get audited.

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
I am actually surprised with all the data being mined and reported on the internet that the IRS does not tell you what more you owe at the end of the year.

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST
Actually you just did. So don't claim otherwise.

Yep, so not just me.

When I used TT I found their up-selling of additional products during tax prep annoying. But so far no one beats Norton Utilities software since they merged with Lifelock. Ugh. Time to shop around.

OP
P

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Looking
I am actually surprised with all the data being mined and reported on the internet that the IRS does not tell you what more you owe at the end of the year.

Yep. I was amazed when poking through TT and entered my employers ID number from W2 and it populated the full W2 info in less than 2 seconds!

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Actually you just did. So don't claim otherwise.

Yep, so not just me.

Oh oh, they mad. Ain't throwing shade on anybody going to a tax service, only the claim that a tax service will do a better job of it than turbotax, hence why you farm out the task. I call bs on that.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Oh oh, they mad. Ain't throwing shade on anybody going to a tax service, only the claim that a tax service will do a better job of it than turbotax, hence why you farm out the task. I call bs on that.

I'm not mad. I called you out for labeling people who hire out tax prep as lazy. That is exactly what you did. Now you are backpedaling. Thing is, it's all right here in black and white.

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
I'm not mad. I called you out for labeling people who hire out tax prep as lazy. That is exactly what you did. Now you are backpedaling. Thing is, it's all right here in black and white.

Well now I'm just gonna label you as lazy. Lazy RickB, probably has a lawn service mow his lawn. :dance1:

scaredychicken

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018),Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969)
I have been doing our taxes for about 30 yrs, and in the last 10 yrs I have been doing personal taxes & basic bookkeeping for anyone. I work from my home office.

That is my semi-retirement work, along with our hobby farm.

I took the Business Administration 3 yr program at the local community college. I completed the H & R Block program / training (not a fan, and I know how they bill). AND I know the business forms, medical forms, tax forms gst returns, assets, write-offs etc. and always ask people for these same details. (Most in / out companies will simply process what you provide, as quickly as they can).
I do the best for our own personal taxes (if I took ours in it would be easily $750 / yr), and I grab every dime I can for us, and anybody else.

I charge for Bookkeeping of the business activities so that I can pull the numbers out of the shoebox of receipts ... $35/hr . This is then added into the tax return info.
IF there is only a Tax Return to do without bookkeeping, then I have a standard fee for the returns - individuals $120, couples $185, students / seniors / limited income... $90.

I have used the Profile professional / accountant Tax Program for many years, I am registered with CRA and authorized for E-Filing. It works for me and provides additional income.

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I've been using TaxAct for the last few years. After paying $175 for a CPA to prepare my simple return and comparing his to mine after running the number through TaxAct, I found the numbers to be exactly the same.

TaxAct does give a discount for returning customers, and they also bring forward the previous year's number for comparison. What I don't like is having to pay and extra $79 for a state tax return in addition to the federal return.

Both returns, state and federal, are electronically filed. Any refund due is normally received within 2 weeks; normally 10 days or less. Self prepared hand written returns have historically taken a couple of months in my case.

Filing your own via TaxAct, H&R, or TT does put all of the responsibility on you. But then, even if you pay someone else to punch in your numbers, it's still your responsibility. They're just putting in your info as you give it to them. In either case, one needs to understand the tax code.

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
Why do us old folks (over 80), who only make a little money (less than $40,000) have to pay / file taxes? Seems like to me that we should not have to bother with it after all these years of ...Working....Military Service..... and....paying taxes.

Boy,......is that a stupid question!!!
Cheers,
Mike

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
I'm lucky since my wife did tax returns for H&R back then so she knows the ins and outs.
She always uses the long forms as they offer more possibilities.
Now retired we have our taxes pre paid so as to avoid that year end shocker.

Now on municipal taxes I wish they'd offer some incentive to those that could pay in one lump sum vs the optional delays. Some delays spread them over 5 installments and charge interest.