Indiana Songbird Deaths

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths #41  
   / Indiana Songbird Deaths #44  
Only two pair of humming birds at my feeder this year - normal = 6 or 8 pair. DEFINITE decline in the Red Wing Blackbird population on my lake this year.
I read something about a salmonella outbreak in birds on your coast.

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths #45  
Read the packages. Don't you remember the dog food deaths from plastic and antifreeze added to ramp up the tested "protein" content? Now look at the bird seed products being sold at TSC, Costco and Rural King. "Packaged Locally from Various Worldwide Sources". Good enough evidence last year for me...
So you have no proof.

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths #46  
Yes, both cats and dogs can get it. Cats more than dogs, but the exact extent is being debated, and as is the means of transmission (aerosol vs. contact (petting/licking)).

Right now the best thing you can do for them is get yourself vaccinated as there aren't approved vaccines for animals yet. With the global need and demand for vaccines there won't be any vaccines for pets any time soon.

Related story: February of 2020, my wife's whole office got really sick after a big meeting. She was sicker than a dog for a week (I have known her for decades and she never has gotten a cold). She was dragging for six weeks. I lost my sense of taste. At the time, in our area, you needed a China contact to get tested, and neither one of us had any contact. I didn't get my sense of taste back for five or six months. Morning coffee or tea loses a lot when you can't taste it. I have a friend who seventeen months later still has gotten her sense of taste back.

At the tail end of it, one of our cats got terribly sick, coughing, sneezing wheezing, but she was dead in three days. Without testing there is no way to know for sure.

Get vaccinated, and get your friends vaccinated; you really don't want to get any of these strains.

All the best,

Peter

We are all vaccinated. The pets stay inside (cat 100% and dog only in fenced back yard but lives inside).

Another thing to worry about.

Thanks for the info. I really hadn’t heard a thing about pets and COVID.

MoKelly

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths #47  
We buy bird seed and suet cakes from the big stores. Mostly black oil sunflower, and 100 lbs at a time. We feed year round for the entertainment at the feeders. No changes this year from previous years as far as our feeding patterns. Our bird volume is quite a bit higher this year. Starting with pairs, and transitioning into families with many juveniles learning to feed on their own. Sometimes a dozen wood peckers at a time. Rose breasted grosbeaks are very plentiful this year, maybe 4 times normal numbers. Orioles are probably 5 to 10 times the normal numbers this year, but they feed on jamb mainly, and sometimes some suet. We especially enjoy watching the Eastern Bluebirds that come in to use the bath. They get serious when bathing, chasing others out of the water and then splashing and dunking until completely soaked. Then off to a nearby perch to shake and fluff till dry enough to fly off. We've seen no sick birds of any kind, yet.

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths #48  
Yes, both cats and dogs can get it. Cats more than dogs, but the exact extent is being debated, and as is the means of transmission (aerosol vs. contact (petting/licking)).

Related story: February of 2020, my wife's whole office got really sick after a big meeting. She was sicker than a dog for a week (I have known her for decades and she never has gotten a cold). She was dragging for six weeks. I lost my sense of taste. At the time, in our area, you needed a China contact to get tested, and neither one of us had any contact. I didn't get my sense of taste back for five or six months. Morning coffee or tea loses a lot when you can't taste it. I have a friend who seventeen months later still has gotten her sense of taste back.
Early in the pandemic, well, before WuFlu escaped China, so I guess it was not yet a pandemic, China was killing vast numbers of dogs because the dogs could/did carry the illness. There were videos on the Internet of people beating dogs to death and throwing them into trucks. Not just strays, not many strays over there because they get eaten, these were peoples pets.

In Feb 2020, my family did get sick, real sick. Three of the four of us got sick, I did not. One person missed a couple weeks of work and needed a doctor note. They were tested but were negative for Flu A or Flu B but they had the flu. If they did not have A or B what flu did they have?

The person that had to get a doctors note was working with kids who travel and whose parents travel so that is one likely source of the illness. Whatever it was.

I work with someone who traveled to Taiwan in Feb of 2020 so it is possible they brought it back, gave it to me but I did not get sick, and I then passed it on to my family. Who knows.

Research has shown that the illness was in NC in by Feb 2020.

Later,
Dan

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths
Only two pair of humming birds at my feeder this year - normal = 6 or 8 pair. DEFINITE decline in the Red Wing Blackbird population on my lake this year.
Same observation here. Hummingbirds have declined from 3 pairs to 1 pair. Haven't seen a single Red Wing Blackbird this year. Normally there are at least a dozen nesting around the pond. This Spring there were several Frontier Bluejays daily dominating the feeder, haven't seen any of them for 3 months! 🐦

Title of this thread says Indiana but the problem is obviously much bigger than one state. 🇺🇲

/ Indiana Songbird Deaths #50  
Our birds are doing great. They require a refill of the feeders every 2 days. They also have access to 2 baths and a water fountain with splashing water.

My wife feeds them the good stuff. It can get a tad costly keeping these flying beasts fed. More than it costs to feed the kitty!

But, the birds do keep the kitty’s attention as he watches their antics from the screen porch.

Sorry to hear there are problems elsewhere.

MoKelly

LOL. If I had all the money back from buying birdseed, sunflowers, suet cakes, corn, peanuts, and then the sugar to make a gallon of nectar, almost every day in the summer,
Then the catfood, litter, vet bills, and other kitty items for the cats, I would have enough money to buy another tractor. Lol.