Info on financing a used tractor

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I recently paid off the loan on my wife's mini van and I'm thinking about buying another tractor. I don't really need it right now, so I'm not in any rush, but there are a few out there that kind of interest me. I'm not ready to go and look at them in person, I'm just kind of curious how the financing works. I have a pretty good credit score, and I always get the lowest interest rates offered.

If you have bought used recently and financed, what kind of interest rate did you get? How long where your choices in the loan?

I like to get the longest loan possible so I have the smallest payment possible, and then make two payments a month when I can. I always pay off the loan ahead of time. Being self employed, this has proven to work well for me without adding too much stress to my life. How many months can you get a loan for?

I'm also trying to see where I would be comfortable at with monthly payments. Prices for the tractors that I like are from $35,000 for something that will work, to $55,000 for something that I would really want to have, but really don't need.

Thank you

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
I recently paid off the loan on my wife's mini van and I'm thinking about buying another tractor. I don't really need it right now, so I'm not in any rush, but there are a few out there that kind of interest me. I'm not ready to go and look at them in person, I'm just kind of curious how the financing works. I have a pretty good credit score, and I always get the lowest interest rates offered.

If you have bought used recently and financed, what kind of interest rate did you get? How long where your choices in the loan?

I like to get the longest loan possible so I have the smallest payment possible, and then make two payments a month when I can. I always pay off the loan ahead of time. Being self employed, this has proven to work well for me without adding too much stress to my life. How many months can you get a loan for?

I'm also trying to see where I would be comfortable at with monthly payments. Prices for the tractors that I like are from $35,000 for something that will work, to $55,000 for something that I would really want to have, but really don't need.

Thank you
When I bought my large tractor. My financial advisor wanted me to finance. So ,I did.
I got a CU loan for 36,000. Cost me 700 per mo not including insurance which the lender required.
I believe the interest rate was close to 4%
I didn't like making payments and insurance. So I paid it off against his advice.

Last edited:

notaz3

Silver Member
Tractor
2022 Kubota L3560HSTC
My philosophy is; If it's not going to make me money, I'm not going to pay the bank for it.
If it's a NEED for my business I may get loans. If it's a WANT I pay cash.

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
All my life I've known that if I wanted something that I couldn't afford, I could simply go out and find an older one cheap enough that I could pay cash for and fix it up.

And more than once done just that. It's kept me out of debt, and been learning and entertaining....but it has also eaten up a lot of my time....valuable time when I could have been just as happy doing nothing at all.

We are lucky to live in a country where anyone can do either of the above.

rScotty

Last edited:

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
When I was starting to shop, I looked at a BXsomething with backhoe. Seller wanted $13,500 or so. Credit Union wanted close to 10% since it would be an unsecured personal loan and they weren't even sure they could do it for that amount regardless of my credit history.

There is absolutely no way I'd ever risk house and/or property to finance a machine. Equity lines are just begging for trouble.

I can't imagine an advisor recommending paying interest unless paying in full would take funds out of something making more interest. It was something I looked at, but I would have been taking funds out of an account that had a history of increasing by 10-15% per year vs. paying 3% interest on the loan. I've been paying extra every month and have made a couple of extra payments when I could, so I'm on track to pay it off about two years early.

Length of term was another issue. For used, they would only go something like three years as I recall which would have made the payments higher.

Not everyone wants to take on some else's machine problems in hopes of coming out ahead by buying older and lower priced. Neighbor picked up a JD 2020 that he knew needed work. He hasn't stopped pouring money into it yet.

Cahaba Valley Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Prices for the tractors that I like are from $35,000 for something that will work, to $55,000 for something that I would really want to have, but really don't need.
My question to you is why would you want to purchase something that expensive and take on that much debt liability if you don't really need it?

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
Every financial situation is different. Interest rates have been so low for so long that in many cases it is ludicrous not to finance. That money you pay could easily make 10% or more in the market. So, unless your APR is over about 7%, financing can be an advantage. In some states, interest can reduce your tax liability. Truly a situation where YMMV.

For me, I agree that it only applies to things I think I need. I could see for some people 'wants' make you happy and you spent your life earning the money, so the added expense of a loan is worth it.

To the OP question, there are a ton of variables. Find a lender who typically does AG loans. They can take equipment as collateral, usually with a UCC filing. Helocs have their place, but I would not tie up my home equity for anything unrelated to improving the value of my property... buildings and such. Get pre-qualified so you know what you are getting into before you get attached to a tractor or a 'deal'.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I took out a 4 year loan through my CU in 2017 with 2.25% interest, and paid it off a year early. If I'd bought new rather than used I would have saved .25%.
I like having my home nearly paid off and have tried the "buy old and fix up" routine on pickups which always ends up being a money pit. I can do minor things but repairs such as head gaskets and clutches I need to hire out; it doesn't take long before I have close to the price of a new vehicle tied up in repairs and still own a piece of junk.
I was saving for a new tractor when my old L275 started going to pieces... every time that I used it something else broke. My choices were to pay somebody to do the work or take out a loan. My plan was to cut enough wood off my property to make the payments but that never happened so while I now have the tractor paid off, I still have the wood to fall back on if I ever need to make some extra money.

finn1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 hst, Cab, Deere 26G excavator, K1500 w/ Boss 7’6” plow, F450 dump W/ Boss 10’ straight blade Super Duty plow, F250 reg cab, F350 cc drw, Case TR310 CTL
I bought mine new, and financed it through the credit union. Rates varied with the length of the loan. I think the sweet spot was three or four years, although longer terms were available at higher rates. Beyond some term, maybe five or seven years, the rate would revert to whatever the then current rate was.

Used tractors that were two or three years old were possible to finance at the same rate as new, with higher rates for units older than that.

When I bought, rates were low enough that you would have been crazy to not finance the tractor, at least up to the point that the payments might affect your cash flow and lifestyle.

I kept the bulk of the money the tractor cost in the stock market, did a nominal down payment , something like $7000, and financed the rest. Frankly, I made out like a bandit, as the money left in the market had roughly 25% annual returns over the period of the 2.7% loan.

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I am always in amazement when a question is asked and people feel compelled to relate their own personal quirks and beliefs to whatever question was asked.
Eddie asked about tractor loans. Not what he should/shouldn't do, or what you believe or even question why he needs/wants a tractor.

Cheez

If you had a tractor loan or used a personal loan or used a home equity line of credit to finance a tractor, it's appropriate to spell out your experience.
That's all you need to do.

I financed my tractor through Mahindra. Rates were competitive at the time of approximately 4%. This isn't like buying a house where you are financing hundreds of thousands so the percentage effects on loans in the 35-50 K range, are not as great. I did so because I liked the convenience and pricing of loans were not that differentiated.

Here is a company Eddie that may answer some questions for you LoansforTractors

Last edited:

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I bought mine new, and financed it through the credit union. Rates varied with the length of the loan. I think the sweet spot was three or four years, although longer terms were available at higher rates. Beyond some term, maybe five or seven years, the rate would revert to whatever the then current rate was.

Used tractors that were two or three years old were possible to finance at the same rate as new, with higher rates for units older than that.

When I bought, rates were low enough that you would have been crazy to not finance the tractor, at least up to the point that the payments might affect your cash flow and lifestyle.

I kept the bulk of the money the tractor cost in the stock market, did a nominal down payment , something like $7000, and financed the rest. Frankly, I made out like a bandit, as the money left in the market had roughly 25% annual returns over the period of the 2.7% loan.
Like jstpssng's contribution, this is an example of a real answer to Eddies question.
Pure and simple explanation w/o questions, judgment or personal opinion on motive.

Last edited:

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
If you qualify, AgDirect is around 2.5 to 4% based on new/used, place of purchase, term length (up to 7 years) and amount financed.

rScotty

Tractor
I am always in amazement when a question is asked and people feel compelled to relate their own personal quirks and beliefs to whatever question was asked.
Eddie asked about tractor loans. Not what he should/shouldn't do, or what you believe or even question why he needs/wants a tractor.

Cheez

SNIP....

Well, arrow... it's called "conversation". Nearly a lost art, but still important to many rural folks.

Now if Eddie feels that we have drifted so far that he is about to lose sight of both his original question as well as any possible answers - and that surely does happen - then it would be up to Eddie to bring the conversation back around to his original goal. That happens, too.

And I think all of us would encourage him to jump right in and do that the moment he feels the need. No harm there. Otherwise we'll just happily babble along.
rScotty

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Well, arrow... it's called "conversation". Nearly a lost art, but still important to many rural folks.

Now if Eddie feels that we have drifted so far that he is about to lose sight of both his original question as well as any possible answers - and that surely does happen - then it would be up to Eddie to bring the conversation back around to his original goal. That happens, too.

And I think all of us would encourage him to jump right in and do that the moment he feels the need. No harm there. Otherwise we'll just happily babble along.
rScotty
Well then, regard me as part of the "conversation" and I would agree with you had the op asked about a "decision" to buy a tractor or not and was kind of "stuck".
I hope your contribution would be applicable to those who peruse Eddie can't think for himself about what he does with his life.
He came here for "loan advice" and not "life lessons".

Last edited:

sandman2234

Tractor
JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers and now one Kubota
I borrowed from the credit union and used a savings account as collateral. 2% and they still paid interest on the savings account. That was several years ago when rates were higher. Tractor got paid off and payments went to pay house off early. Debt free is great!
David from jax

rScotty

Tractor
Well then, regard me as part of the "conversation" and I would agree with you had the op asked about a "decision" to buy a tractor or not and was kind of "stuck".
I hope your contribution would be applicable to those who peruse Eddie can't think for himself about what he does with his life.
He came here for "loan advice" and not "life lessons".

Gotta agree that Eddie W. never seemed to me to be needing "life lessons". But those unasked for lessons do seem to come along with TBN conversations.

On the financing question, it's not something I know much about - I'm from the old "fix it or do without generation" - but it is with conversations like this that I'm learning more.
rScotty

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Gotta agree that Eddie W. never seemed to me to be needing "life lessons". But those unasked for lessons do seem to come along with TBN conversations.

On the financing question, it's not something I know much about - I'm from the old "fix it or do without generation" - but it is with conversations like this that I'm learning more.
rScotty
It is not the "periphery conversations" that are of a bother to me. I've learned a lot from the "peripheries" myself and I might add, cleared up a thought process or two that led me to an ultimate decision WHEN STAYING ON TOPIC.
It's when posters get into sublet notions of how they may lead their own lives and get off the beaten path from what the op asked in the first place.
Eg: "why are you taking on more debt"? "I wouldn't do that".
None of their freakin business and not interested in their's.

Now if they stated: "I have a problem encompassing more debt for myself but when I did, I took out such and such a loan and it only cost me 2%".
That's different. At least they're lending a different eye to the conversation that indeed could be helpful.

I'm old school, hard scrabble myself but as the roll of toilet paper gets smaller and then gets smaller faster, I have been known to rethink a thing or two.
My word, life is too short to be bothered by the same things of when one was younger as it
doesn't leave room to be bothered by the "new things" one can be bothered about.

Last edited:

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Suggestion. This seems to be a 'you' problem. I understand that you don't like how people respond to posts. Ultimately, I think that is for the OP of the thread to decide. Your response is a bigger sidebar or distraction than anything someone else posted. Rather than hijack his thread to espouse your views, maybe create your own thread advocating for your position. if posts bother you that much, maybe just step away from those threads. Life is too short to get this worked up about opinions.

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Suggestion. This seems to be a 'you' problem. I understand that you don't like how people respond to posts. Ultimately, I think that is for the OP of the thread to decide. Your response is a bigger sidebar or distraction than anything someone else posted. Rather than hijack his thread to espouse your views, maybe create your own thread advocating for your position. if posts bother you that much, maybe just step away from those threads. Life is too short to get this worked up about opinions.
Hardly. This place is rampant with " if I were your father" posts. The op himself appreciated my contribution. Some are "non confrontational" and just stay quiet to a problem. This problem is huge here.
And don't give me that "side bar distraction stuff". I'm trying to get to the point of the op or else how many other "father "posts would there be along with unrelated "why are you doing that?" junk.
I guess you only consider "your espousing' as not a distraction or else you would have pm'd me.

Cahaba Valley Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Hardly. This place is rampant with " if I were your father" posts. The op himself appreciated my contribution. Some are "non confrontational" and just stay quiet to a problem. This problem is huge here.
And don't give me that "side bar distraction stuff". I'm trying to get to the point of the op or else how many other "father "posts would there be along with unrelated "why are you doing that?" junk.
I guess you only consider "your espousing' as not a distraction or else you would have pm'd me.
Arrow, I think there is a difference of viewpoint here. You see some of the questioning and comments on this thread as people overstepping their boundaries where I see it as some of us are looking out for our fellow man.

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
looking out for our fellow man.

Is that what the op asked for?

Look, there are very few "rotten guys" here.
I'm quite sure everyone has "good intentions" even if that what's used as pavers for the road to hll.
My intention is to stick with the question. If I have experience with a failure move, I'll say so and why.
It is then up to the op to decide the direction they wish to go.
Far be it from me to question motives.
Most of us are older than 6.

Last edited:

Cahaba Valley Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Far be it from me to question motives.
I can only speak to mine. The OP stated in his opening post that he was considering purchasing a tractor that he really didn't need. My first thought was why would he do that, especially in a very volatile and uncertain time as this? I don't know if you are aware of the severity of things right now Arrow but we are in the middle of an economic storm. Gas prices are surging, there's scarcity everywhere now, inflation is the highest it has been in over 15 years and continues to keep climbing and it's only a matter of time before the interest rates are going to be raised to reflect all this which is going to lead to other troubles for many people. This is not a time to go out and spend money on things you don't really need. If that is what the OP wants to do then so be it but I am not going to apologize to him or to you for being a good Samaritan by asking him to simply rethink what he is about to do.

finn1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK4010 hst, Cab, Deere 26G excavator, K1500 w/ Boss 7’6” plow, F450 dump W/ Boss 10’ straight blade Super Duty plow, F250 reg cab, F350 cc drw, Case TR310 CTL
I can only speak to mine. The OP stated in his opening post that he was considering purchasing a tractor that he really didn't need. My first thought was why would he do that, especially in a very volatile and uncertain time as this? I don't know if you are aware of the severity of things right now Arrow but we are in the middle of an economic storm. Gas prices are surging, there's scarcity everywhere now, inflation is the highest it has been in over 15 years and continues to keep climbing and it's only a matter of time before the interest rates are going to be raised to reflect all this which is going to lead to other troubles for many people. This is not a time to go out and spend money on things you don't really need. If that is what the OP wants to do then so be it but I am not going to apologize to him or to you for being a good Samaritan by asking him to simply rethink what he is about to do.
You watch the wrong tv stations.

LilTractrThatCould

Tractor
Kioti CX2510
Tractor is my only debt since it matters. I like having one loan so credit is good when I CHOOSE to use it. I'm paying 4% int on the loan thru DLL finance which was dealerships vendor. I would have gone thru my CU but was just easier to do all in house. I chose the cash rebates up front and interest long term since no loan has been taken to term in 24yrs.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
No, you were chastising others for not doing it your way. Some of the best information on this site comes from tangential comments. You are literally doing what you accuse others of doing. Relax. If every thread was answered in a direct manner, they would all be pretty short and it would not really be a forum. If this medium doesn't suit you....

No, I am not the one telling others to do as I say, not as i do. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions or going off topic. I was just pointing out that you are being hypocritical.

Some of the best learning opportunities are from those with whom I disagree.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
You watch the wrong tv stations.
Please expound on this. I don't watch the 'news' I just keep up on Economics as both a teacher and an investor. His post is very much in line with economic trends.

rScotty

Tractor
Finn1 wrote: "You watch the wrong tv stations."

Please expound on this. I don't watch the 'news' I just keep up on Economics as both a teacher and an investor. His post is very much in line with economic trends.

I was kind of curious about that TV reference myself. I don't watch much TV & it went right past me. But I'm still curious. Can someone fill me in?

BTW - and this is probably more in keeping with the OP's original question - I believe Torvy has mentioned seveal times now that he is involved in economic trends.

So let me ask this as my contribution to Eddie's original question:
Torvy, "Based on similar economic trends involving lending and borrowing in the past, what would you expect to see happen in the next few years?"
Would you be borrowing for a tractor now? & why?

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
I will be borrowing sooner rather than later. As long as a rate is not variable, the payment remains constant over time while prices rise in an inflationary period. In other words, your loan payment as a percentage of your income goes down over time as prices rise. Caveat would be if you are on a truly fixed income.

In the near future and likely for the next few years, interest rates will have to rise to counter the inflationary pressures. So a loan a year from now will be at a higher rate and will be higher relative to future values than a loan in the near term.

That being said, your rate would need to be low enough that you would make more money in the market. To me, if you get a loan under about 6%, you would make more money investing cash than buying with cash. If your rate exceeds 6% and you have the cash, I would buy with cash.

As with any real financial advice, each situation is unique and getting specific advice from a professional is preferable to generic advice on the internet.