Buying Advice Inspection Checklist?

/ Inspection Checklist? #1  

SixMilesSouth

Hi, I've been lurking on TBN for a month or so now and can't believe all that I've learned. But there's so much more I'll need to figure out as time goes on. Before I ask my questions, I have to say what a relief it is to see such civil debates across the forums here. I've spent time on homebuilding forums, woodworking forums, car forums, and there's always a few guys who make things unpleasant for everyone. But so far, I haven't seen the jerks around here. Do they show up late at night?:)

So on to my question...I've pretty much decided I'm going to find myself a used L35. I've done plenty of research here (and on tractordata.com) to get down to this model, but I wonder what are the things to look for on a used tractor that might be in the 1500-2500 hour age.

I've searched the forums, but I can't find a list of the things I'll need to look for. So, I'm wondering if people can add their insight here, even if it's just one pointer and we can create a checklist me and other newbies can go down as we poke around our very first Kubotas.

So far, the things I know to check for are cracks around welds, smoke on start-up, leaks and play around the pins. But what's normal? Of course, no cracks would be normal. But what's the tolerance for pins? I know that knowledge is out there from reading your posts.

I have automotive repair knowledge, so I can probably spot the obvious stuff. Thanks for reading all this, and thank you for creating such a great community!

One more question: do prices come down on used equipment in the winter? I'm in Connecticut, so I know people need to remove snow. But a lot of "tractor projects" may come to a halt, right?

/ Inspection Checklist?
Did I say something wrong? I know there's a lot of knowledge on here. I'm just looking to borrow some!

/ Inspection Checklist? #3  
will u be buying from ind. or dealer? in either case, definitely ask if the tractor has had routine maintenance and preferably a log of what has been done. also what type of work, etc, soil engagement is a lot different that mowing, etc.
if dealer, i'd require to have hyd. fluid/filter changed, ft. axle too. engine oil might be your own preferred type. as you mentioned, on a diesel leaks (eng/hyd) are a no brainer. but searching it's history would be my starting point. & of course, the smoking gun tells the tale. good luck!

/ Inspection Checklist?
Thanks for the pointers. Since I'm buying used, I'm open to either dealer or private party. I don't see a whole bunch for sale in my area, so I don't think I'll be able to do too much comparing between a few machines. So when I find one, I will want to shake it down pretty good.

Thanks again.

/ Inspection Checklist? #5  
If you have the chance and there is a piece of equipment available, perhaps you can hook up that piece of equipment and use it. Perhaps a rotary mower? That way, you can check out the PTO, the 3-point hitch, lift arms; etc. You can also check out the brakes and clutch by doing this. Just a thought. Good Luck.:tractor:

/ Inspection Checklist? #6  
Did I say something wrong? I know there's a lot of knowledge on here. I'm just looking to borrow some!
No, I really don't think you said anything wrong. Sometimes it takes TBN members time to respond. We are often preoccupied with present priorities in our daily lives. Not meaning to sound condescending, but please be patient and allow adequate time for a response. BTW, welcome to TBN.:)

/ Inspection Checklist? #7  
Welcome aboard SixMilesSouth. I too was lurking for a while to try to figure out how to buy my first tractor. I figured I'd join and try to help others in payback for the info gathered. It looks like you're my first victim. With you already knowing auto repair, there may not be much to glean, but it my help someone else. I was looking for a Yanmar and the list is pretty generic, but it helped me keep focused when I started drooling, and gave me a place to write everything down. As far a breaking out the feeler gauges and checking tolerances, others will know alot more than I. It basically comes down to going with your gut (walk if you have any doubts), having a lot of money set aside to change all fluids and filters before you work it (that's when you'll start to see all the stuff you missed earlier that needs to be fixed) and to anticipate buying things you never even thought about. Remember, in this game, if you play long enough, the house always wins. Some people walk in and hit a jackpot right away, some lose it all right away, but most have a good time slowly losing their money over a long period of time.:D

OVER THE PHONE
Name of person talked to
Model #
Year
Serial #
What year did you buy it
Buy it from a dealer or individual
Can I get their name and number
Have a UTDA sticker
Have any dealer stickers
Reason for selling
Hour/Tach meter work
How many hours did you put on
What type of work
How often did you perform maintenance
Any fluid leaks
Any repairs done, did you keep receipts
Battery condition, does it hold charge
Tire type (ag or turf), condition, hold air, cracking
Tires filled, if so with what
Brakes work good
Any steering play
Easy to start in cold, ever have to use ether
3 pt hitch still strong
Have something heavy I can hook up to test 3pt and pto
Any place to test
ROPS installed
How much deposit and how long will I have to pick it up
Good time to see it
Address or directions

WALK AROUND
Seat condition
Signs of welding or mismatched parts
Seals- rear axle, front axle, pto
Oil or fuel on engine
Engine and hyd oil full
Battery and connections
Air inlet tube- no cracks or holes
Air filter intact not too dirty or torn
Radiator clean, fluid dark green, no white scum
No moisture at bottom of radiator
Fan belt tight, good shape
US brand filters
Engine model number
Steering linkage slop
Sheet metal damage

START-UP
Feel crankcase for cold engine
Turn key and check lights and gauges
Start easy, lights go off, pressure comes up
Any smoke stops after warm up
Exhaust leaks
Check alternator 13.5 to 14.5 volts
Check 3pt and pto
Test all gears
Try to get clutch to slip
Check both brakes
Check 4wd
Check crankcase ventilation tube for smoke

POST DRIVE
Check water temp
Look for new leaks
Remove oil fill cap and look for excessive blow-by

/ Inspection Checklist? #8  
I simply can't beat the information given. It may be a good idea to go try out a new model to see how everything is "suppose" to work then you will have a point of reference.

/ Inspection Checklist? #9  
. . . But so far, I haven't seen the jerks around here. Do they show up late at night?:) . . .
Nope. Early in the mornings. :D :laughing:

BTW, :welcome:

If you have the chance and there is a piece of equipment available, perhaps you can hook up that piece of equipment and use it. Perhaps a rotary mower? That way, you can check out the PTO, the 3-point hitch, lift arms; etc. You can also check out the brakes and clutch by doing this. Just a thought. Good Luck.:tractor:
Creekbend is on the right track.

Or, you could just hire Schemp to check it out for you. :thumbsup:

/ Inspection Checklist?
Wow, that's a great list, Schemp. Thanks to all. I never even considered hooking up an attachment to gauge the PTO's condition. Thanks Creekbend.

And if any of you know someone selling an L35 in the northeast, point me in their direction.

Thanks!