Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ?

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I'm going to be installing a trailer brake controller on my TC33D tractor to run the electric brakes on my Metavic M95 log forwarding trailer and on my dump trailer. The tractor is set up for working in the woods, and I do have hills and paces where traction is not the greatest. The trailer brakes will help keep me from getting pushed around when going downhill with a heavy load. The previous owner of the Metavic mounted a brake controller on his tractor. Since the tractor has no brake light, there is nothing to trigger the controller, so he just used the manual activation lever on the controller.

Using just the manual control lever is my plan as well. However, I am also considering trying to rig up something slightly more automatic than just sliding a lever and holding it at the level of braking I need (which would require constant use of one hand any time I'm braking). I could rig up a push button or switch as a kind of simulated brake light circuit to trigger the brake controller. Depending on the model, the orientation of the brake controller is critical to it's proper operation. I'd probably go with a time-delay controller, rather than proportional, since the time delay tends not to be orientation-sensitive.

Has anyone here mounted a brake controller on their compact tractor? If so, what was your experience? Any tips to consider? What did you do to keep the weather and muck off the controller (everyone I've seen is designed to be mounted inside a vehicle).

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ? #2  
I'd probably go with a time-delay controller, rather than proportional, since the time delay tends not to be orientation-sensitive.

They do make the type that mounts onto the trailer and the driver carries a remote. That way you can use different vehicles. I would thing that the proportional ones would see going down a steep hill as stopping and would automatically apply the brakes. The steeper the hill, more brakes applied???

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 9:whistle:

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ? #3  
Also, the darn brakes and hydro are all on one side on a TC33D:mad:

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ? #4  
A manual brake sensor switch would work pretty well. The inertial sensors in the controller would match the braking power of the HST. Would be a bit smoother than manually actuating the controller.

I think those RF units just trigger on brake lights like normal ones do. They just tap in further down the wire. They use RF to set gain & things, not actuate the brakes.

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ?
They do make the type that mounts onto the trailer and the driver carries a remote. That way you can use different vehicles.

I can't use the type that mounts on the trailer, since both of my trailers will frequently be towed by vehicles already wired with regular proportional brake controllers (Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controllers in my vehicles, various other controllers in friends vehicles)

I would think that the proportional ones would see going down a steep hill as stopping and would automatically apply the brakes. The steeper the hill, more brakes applied???

None of the the brake controllers will see anything, unless they are "triggered" by the brake light circuit in a vehicle: no brake lights on, no braking action by the controller. There is no brake light circuit on the tractor to tap in to, and even if there was, being a hydrostatic transmission, I rarely use the brakes on my tractor to slow down. That's why I talked about rigging a push button to simulate the brake circuit. Press the button to send 12V to the controllers brake light sensing wire, and the controller is active. Don't press the button, and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the tractor, the trailer brakes will not come on.

A manual brake sensor switch would work pretty well. The inertial sensors in the controller would match the braking power of the HST. Would be a bit smoother than manually actuating the controller.

I use a proportional controller in my over-the-road vehicles (Tekonsha Prodigy P3) it works great. As you mentioned, the proportioning is inertia-based: the harder you are slowing, the more trailer brake force applied. The problem is that most of them are picky about what orientation they are mounted in (so the inertial sensors can tell how rapidly you are slowing), and I don't have those kind of mounting options on the tractor.

A time-delay controller does not sense inertia, so tends not to be picky about mounting orientation. Typically, they come on when the brake light in the tow vehicle comes on and ramp up to some pre-set maximum power over time, and stay there until the brake light goes off.

Over-the-road, I really prefer the Proportioning/inertial controllers. I've heard that some people prefer the time-delay controllers for off-road use, but I have little experience using any brake controller off-road. Either type usually has a way to manually activate the brakes, regardless of whether the brake light is on or not (which is how the previous owner of the Metavic trailer controlled his).

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ? #8  
My understand is you know about what controller you want you just don't know how to activate it....

Just mount universal brake light switch so its activated by brake pedal...

Amazon.com: Universal Mechanical Brake Pedal Light Switch: Automotive

My controller has manual over ride, but if one you choose does not you could add push button to over ride......

Dale

/ Install brake controller on my NH TC33D ? #9  
My understand is you know about what controller you want you just don't know how to activate it....

Just mount universal brake light switch so its activated by brake pedal...

Amazon.com: Universal Mechanical Brake Pedal Light Switch: Automotive

My controller has manual over ride, but if one you choose does not you could add push button to over ride......

Dale

The controllers in my truck and van have a manual override lever, which may well be what I end up using here.

I can't really use an add-on switch on the brake pedal. Being a hydrostatic transmission, the brake is rarely used except for parking. It's mostly engine/transmission braking when coming down hills (unless they are really steep). A switch on the hydrostatic pedal won't really work, since you never know where in it's range of motion you'll be operating.

I think I've got two options: run with the manual braking lever only (as the previous owner did), or add a switch or pushbutton that would simulate the brake light circuit in a car: pressing the switch would tell the controller that the brakes were on. In this case, I could still use the manual brake lever, or I could flip the switch to engage "automatic" braking.

One of the things I haven't figured out is how to weather proof the controller. As far as I can tell, no one makes one designed for outside use. I think the previous owner just removed his when not in use. Maybe that's what I'll have to end up doing, unless someone here has a great idea.

I'm curious: has anyone else on here installed a brake controller on their compact tractor? The guy I bought the forwarding trailer from is the only one I've ever seen.