Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing?

/ Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing? #1  

kscuny

Tractor
Ford 8N
Today I was trying to find the grease fitting for the throwout bearing in my 1945 Farmall B tractor, so I removed the inspection plate on the housing that surrounds the flywheel and clutch. When I pulled the cover I found a whole bunch of greasy messy almost fabric like material in the bottom of the housing. Is this meant to be there? Insulation? A dirt and grime trap or filter? Its pretty bad and I would think it should be scraped out but I dont know what the heck it is..... Any ideas? ?Also I couldnt see a zerc fitting to grease the throwout bearing.. any suggestions here?

/ Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing? #2  
Clutch disc material either from your clutch or hopefully a previously failed disc. Go ahead and remove it. Note that it may contain asbestos.

/ Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing? #3  
Check for mouse droppings.

/ Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing? #4  
What chim said. Bought an old beater pick-up with a 3 on the tree. First time it got up to 55 MPH there was a loud bang and the whole truck shook violently. Pulled onto the shoulder to look things over. Everything looked fine. Happen to glance back down the road and saw something. Walked back to inspect it. There was mouse nest and parts everywhere for 1/4 mile.

/ Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing? #5  
It's a mouse nest. Had one like that in the C one year.

/ Insulation in Farmall Bell Housing? #6  
I have to agree, small rodent nest. If your clutch pedal feels spongy, or you have some slippage, what ever that material is, there's a good chance some is wound up in the pressure plate, not allowing it to fully release. More than likely, the snap in plug is missing on the side of the bell housing, that is the entry point. If the clutch appears weak, the only way to get that material out of there is to split it, and pull it out.

I had a Case 310B backhoe, with a similar inspection port on the side of the bell housing. Chipmunks had built a nest in there, and it got wound up in the pressure plate. Had to split it, removing the hoe,and loader to be able to do that,and ended up with a 10 qt. water bucket full of string, nut shells, and carpet ravellings out of there. The good news in my case, I didn't have to buy a new clutch & pressure plate, but did take 4 days by myself to tear down clean, and put back together.

This is the oem part # 57579DX I did a quick Google search, and this is the best price I found, without looking too far. Farmall IHC 1, 13, 2, 23, A, AV,B, BN,C CLUTCH DUST COVER 57579DX Steiner has the for $12+, others up to $21+.

Get one of these, and make sure to keep the inspection plate you removed in place, and you're good.