Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now?

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #41  
I can relate to your frustration, being somewhat in the same boat in upstate NY. Our kids are the 7th generation of our family to reside on our 40 acre homestead. My great great great grandfather bought the place prior to the Civil war, after emigrating from Europe, along with his brother who settled on the other side of our town.

The original log cabin is long gone. I still remember my grandparent's 1880's farmhouse, which was lost to a fire in 1980. Great great granddad's two big old 1883 barns had fallen into a state of disrepair, due to leaking roofs and sagging foundations.

About 5 years ago, after years with the same insurance company, we attempted to roll all of our policies (home, auto, etc) into a single carrier, in attempt to save some dough. When the adjuster came out and looked at the two sad structures, he claimed that our place was uninsurable.

I have many childhood memories of those old barns. I remember helping my grandad grind feed for the cattle, using the belt drive on his old John Deere M tractor. The grinder was mounted on the plank barn floor and the tractor parked out back outside the big swinging doors. I was at school when he passed away from a heart attack, while doing that one spring day.

I also remember bringing in loose hay and transfering it from loaded wagons, up onto the lofts, using the big hooks and trolley that hung from a crane rail up under the peak. One day the trip rope broke off and I remember grandpa going up a tall extension ladder to repair it. He wouldn't let my dad do it because he "had young kids to take care of".

At that time, the cost to repair those big old structures was many times more than the cost to build a new structure. I opted for the latter, and I am currently in the process of dismantling the last of the old barns. I built my new pole barn, with two porches, large enough to hold all that is or may become necessary, on the site of the first old barn.

When I complete the dismantling of the remaining barn, I will call the insurance man back, and hopefully get a rate reduction.

I have been doing my best to keep the feel of the old barns with my new one. I used many of the old hand hewn beams and American chestnut siding and granary wood to make a loft, with a woodshop and metal shop below, inside the new barn. I even saved the "18" siding board from the "1883" barn and tried to match the text with a jigsaw for a "20". My new shell went up in 2018.

Basically, I am saving what I can of the old, and hopefully saving some cash in the process. I hope to be able to save that old hay fork and hang it inside my new barn.
20210227_192152.jpg
20210508_141329.jpg
20210411_070942.jpg
20210419_074154.jpg
20200606_150817.jpg

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #42  
I can relate to your frustration, being somewhat in the same boat in upstate NY. Our kids are the 7th generation of our family to reside on our 40 acre homestead. My great great great grandfather bought the place prior to the Civil war, after emigrating from Europe, along with his brother who settled on the other side of our town.

The original log cabin is long gone. I still remember my grandparent's 1880's farmhouse, which was lost to a fire in 1980. Great great granddad's two big old 1883 barns had fallen into a state of disrepair, due to leaking roofs and sagging foundations.

About 5 years ago, after years with the same insurance company, we attempted to roll all of our policies (home, auto, etc) into a single carrier, in attempt to save some dough. When the adjuster came out and looked at the two sad structures, he claimed that our place was uninsurable.

I have many childhood memories of those old barns. I remember helping my grandad grind feed for the cattle, using the belt drive on his old John Deere M tractor. The grinder was mounted on the plank barn floor and the tractor parked out back outside the big swinging doors. I was at school when he passed away from a heart attack, while doing that one spring day.

I also remember bringing in loose hay and transfering it from loaded wagons, up onto the lofts, using the big hooks and trolley that hung from a crane rail up under the peak. One day the trip rope broke off and I remember grandpa going up a tall extension ladder to repair it. He wouldn't let my dad do it because he "had young kids to take care of".

At that time, the cost to repair those big old structures was many times more than the cost to build a new structure. I opted for the latter, and I am currently in the process of dismantling the last of the old barns. I built my new pole barn, with two porches, large enough to hold all that is or may become necessary, on the site of the first old barn.

When I complete the dismantling of the remaining barn, I will call the insurance man back, and hopefully get a rate reduction.

I have been doing my best to keep the feel of the old barns with my new one. I used many of the old hand hewn beams and American chestnut siding and granary wood to make a loft, with a woodshop and metal shop below, inside the new barn. I even saved the "18" siding board from the "1883" barn and tried to match the text with a jigsaw for a "20". My new shell went up in 2018.

Basically, I am saving what I can of the old, and hopefully saving some cash in the process. I hope to be able to save that old hay fork and hang it inside my new barn. View attachment 698703View attachment 698704View attachment 698705View attachment 698707View attachment 698708
Perhaps you should have contacted Barnwood Builders, to see if those old barns could have been saved?

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #43  
It's cool that you kept the water tower. Those used to be common where I grew up in the very east east bay area (a ranching town). But they're nearly all gone now.

There's two state insurance pools- one for fire insurance and one for earthquake insurance. I know the earthquake one just covers earthquakes and you still need insurance for everything else. I think the fire one works the same way.

The state insurance commissioner has issued regulations limiting the ability of insurers to cancel. It depends on zip code. The docs are on their web site. Some insurers have been ignoring the regs and cancelling anyhow, so it's worth checking and reporting them if they're in violation.

State Farm stopped issuing new policies in our area a while back but have started again. They're worth checking for your home, if the original insurer's problem was fire risk. If it was the electrical or foundation, then you may need to upgrade those for any insurer. It'd be worth finding out why your current company cancelled. (maybe it was in an earlier post and I missed it).

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now?

It's cool that you kept the water tower. Those used to be common where I grew up in the very east east bay area (a ranching town). But they're nearly all gone now.

State Farm stopped issuing new policies in our area a while back but have started again. They're worth checking for your home, if the original insurer's problem was fire risk. If it was the electrical or foundation, then you may need to upgrade those for any insurer. It'd be worth finding out why your current company cancelled.
The unsolvable issue here is no perimeter foundation, to bolt earthquake restrainers to. The house is on small piers and posts, 12 inch posts on the uphill side and maybe 40 inches tall at the lowest corner. When the Big One comes it could easily leap off those posts.

At 10 miles inland from San Andreas fault (the line between the Pacific plate and the North America plate) earthquake risk isn't just theoretical. The Pretty Big One of 1969 knocked down all the Eucalyptus at Santa Rosa fairgrounds for example. The San Francisco earthquake of 1906 is legendary and the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 is remembered by everyone old enough to have experienced it.

Adding a foundation just isn't worth it on this old simple house. Decks on 3 sides would be destroyed getting access then lifting the house would likely break off the 3 amateur additions to its length (now 14 x 50). Every system in the house is worn out. Electrical, plumbing, its time to re-roof, kitchen is too small for a dishwasher. Roof pitch on the additions is less than recommended for the composition shingles. It's not worth it to spend what a code-compliant foundation would cost when all that money wouldn't improve livability. This old farmhouse is more of a weekend getaway that doesn't have to be perfect. Our home is a normal house over in the central valley.

It's looking like paying a lot more for 'pool' insurance, and doing the electrical upgrades that I agree are needed, are one alternative, while the other alternative is set a Manufactured Home on this 14 x 50 footprint.

80 years of non-code amateur structural, electrical, plumbing, issues has finally come to bite us.

Here's another water tower pic for you.
kimg0592rwatertowerrepair1-jpg.422261

And me up topping the redwood that keeps growing up to snarl the windmill's tail. I need to remove this tree.
20170709_161534rontopofredwood-2017-jpg.533087

Last edited:
   / Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #45  
Manufactured homes have come a long way in the last couple of decades.
The budget-minded units up to near stick built construction and finishes. Many upgrades are available when custom built.

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #46  
Perhaps you should have contacted Barnwood Builders, to see if those old barns could have been saved?
Honestly, I say good riddance to those old barns. I really appreciated the new barn this spring, when I got my boat out from winter storage. It always had about 1/4" of dust in it when I kept it in those old barns. With the new one, it came out of winter storage almost as clean as it was when it went in.

Also, it is much easier and safer to heat it during our cold winters, and far more secure. It still has some of the feel of the old barns, thanks to the hand hewn posts and beams, and the 140 some year old chestnut siding that I used for the interior loft and shops.

If I can save the old hay fork, crane and trolley, I wont miss a thing. I even knocked down the old concrete silo with a sledge hammer. I will use it's concrete foundation as a raised squash garden this year, and a12 ft diameter campfire pit after I finish the teardown of the remaining old barn.
20210515_152441.jpg
20210410_104421.jpg

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #48  
Sometimes you just have to let go of things.

Yes - but it can be the hardest thing at the time. I think humans have a natural tendency to try to fix everything. That tendency causes lots of angst and grief.

MoKelly

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #49  
Yes - but it can be the hardest thing at the time. I think humans have a natural tendency to try to fix everything. That tendency causes lots of angst and grief.

MoKelly
I agree with that. Combined with an innate sense of not wanting to waste anything it causes a lot of problems.

/ Insurance cancelled on century-old farmhouse. What are the alternatives now? #50  
I was traveling through central PA this week and decided to stop and see the old farm I worked at in the 70's while in HS and college. Thankfully the new owners are taking very good care of it. He was thrilled I stopped by, as I new the history of the place and filled in a lot of the missing pieces.

Attachments

• barn.jpg
    barn.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53