Interesting and relevant war/crime/kill-switch/business ethics/hacking

/ Interesting and relevant war/crime/kill-switch/business ethics/hacking #1  

dh206

Tractor
Kubota BX2350, John Deere 322
   / Interesting and relevant war/crime/kill-switch/business ethics/hacking #2  
Are some of the new cars any different in that regard?

/ Interesting and relevant war/crime/kill-switch/business ethics/hacking #3  
Really, it's no different then the cops calling OnStar to disable a vehicle during a chase.

If you pay for OnStar, they can locate and disable your stolen car for you as well.

/ Interesting and relevant war/crime/kill-switch/business ethics/hacking
I think the key difference is that, you can pull the fuse to temporarily disable OnStar or you can disconnect it from your own vehicle if you want, whenever you want. Deere uses it as a VIN locking mechanism to prevent people from performing non-dealer modifications. Intent. Funtionally, does that matter? Perhaps not, a vehicle/tractor can be hacked and locked. Ethically does it matter? I think so. It is an interesting tweak to the story, regardless.
In one model, you have extra functionality if you want it, if not you can remove it.
In the other model, it's a coercive controlling mechanism.

/ Interesting and relevant war/crime/kill-switch/business ethics/hacking #5  
I think that anyone that gets into the purchase of a new agricultural tractor knows what they're getting into before they sign the papers. There's nothing coercive or controlling about it. That's Deere's deal. If you don't like it, shop elsewhere, by used equipment, etc. If people were really upset with it, they'd stop handing their money to Deere. Apparently, that's not the case yet.