Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Driving my one 16 year old boy home from his part time job the other night, this is where we sometimes have our better conversations.

Asked him if he was "dating" anyone, and he said no.

Honestly, he's a good looking kid, 6'1 and still growing, lean, braces now off, perfect teeth, speaks well for himself on various subjects he enjoys, and it always seems like some girl has some interest in him for the last 2 years (I still don't understand how 15 and 16 year olds "date" LOL). Doesn't seem to hurt that he actually is kind of odd for he age in that he likes to wear button dress shirts, dress pants and shoes, and even thinks it's cool to wear a fedora with a overcoat outside because his grandfather introduced him to the hat and the likes of Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby (his brother on the other hand wants to go with the redneck look LOL).

Well, for the last 7 months, there was one particular girl who was very interested in him. He spent time over her house, invited to her birthday party, and her dad liked him because he (my son) knew about older non digital cameras, and her mom would come over to our house to pick him up.

Thing is, for like 3 months they would be on the phone it seemed like every night. He denied she was his "girlfriend" but I couldn't understand why they spent so much time talking to each other at night. Then for Valentines day this year, he was "informed" by this girl that he was her valentine and she was his valentine, and it seemed they were now officially dating because she gave him a nice drawing for valentines day she did herself, that seemed kind of personal to me at least.

Then the middle of this month, my wife informed me that they broke up, and when I asked him about this girl couple of weeks ago (because this breakup was news to me), he informed me that she broke up with him and he didn't really know why. He didn't seem like he was overly affected by this, not even bummed out at all if you will.

So, driving home the other night, I told him I thought that this girl was a very peculiar relationship from what I had observed in that they spent a lot of time talking on the phone and he spending time over at her house, and that she was the one who told him they were now officially dating, and then she was the one who broke up the relationship. Kind of like he really didn't do anything in this relationship but be friends with the girl.

My boy just looked at me and told me "dad, I was just along for the ride, and I had no clue what was going on". We both broke out laughing pretty hard.

I told him that's why he should wait until he's at least 30 until he wants to settle down and he knows what he wants out of life and even after being married, you can still feel the same way at times about "being along for the ride and having no clue" LOL

Last edited:
   / Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #2  
Conversations with young men or young ladies can always be interesting! We have the advantage of hindsight, but our understanding of the opposite sex still has huge voids!
David from jax

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #3  

My boy just looked at me and told me "dad, I was just along for the ride, and I had no clue what was going on". We both broke out laughing pretty hard.

😝 (y)

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #4  
My granddaughter is 13 and at the stage she doesn't want to talk to adults. We had her and one of her friends at the house yesterday and was asking them if they wanted to eat outside with us or in the house. They both stood there bobbing their heads and not saying anything. I told my daughter she could just get a couple of bobble head dolls and she wouldn't have to feed or clothe them. The two girls just smiled so we made the decision for them and told them to stay inside away from us.

They sat inside chattering away until an adult walked in and they clammed up. Kind of worrisome.

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #5  
They sat inside chattering away until an adult walked in and they clammed up. Kind of worrisome.

Hopefully it’s all OK.

13 year olds girls can be at that awkward stage. They don’t have lots of self confidence. They need to be liked and don’t want to say the wrong thing. They want to be with friends rather than older folks.

It’s not easy being 13.

MoKelly

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #6  
This constant communication world young people engage in has put Males at a serious disadvantage.

What most men fail to realize is that a man has to be a challenge to a woman. You can't go to a date, here are the flowers, I love you, let's get married. A woman will go running, looking for a "challenge", and a mystery. And a man must never stop being a challenge. What a woman loves to do best is wonder about a man. Like picking the pedals off a daisy. He loves me, he loves me not.

So anyway, all this communication takes the whole challenge thing out of it. Women can seperate the wheat from the chaff much easier and decide who will be friend zoned and who will be ricipient of the goodies.

Last edited:
   / Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #7  
I hate to admit, I was often that kid that dreamt up stuff for others to do. Can't say if it was lack of courage to do it myself or just smart enough not to. Probably a bit of both.

When it comes to matters of Romance. Women are in fighter jet, men are in wright brothers plane. We owe it to our young men, to educate them and not just let them get slaughtered.

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #8  
You-tubers Coach Greg Adams and Donavan Sharpe may provide some useful insights to a young man

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #9  
One particularly colorfull mens relationship coach commented. The Miranda rights , "anything you say can and will be used against you" was meant to be applied first to women. Talk to a woman long enough on your cell phone, before you know her and YOU WILL say something to disqualify yourself.

/ Interesting conversation on girls with my 16 year old boy #10  
I'm glad my son is now past his teens and 20's. Communication during those times could be a tad difficult and strained. Everything has turned out fine but I can still remember some times ........