Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS

/ Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS #3  
MS is the state abbreviation for MISSISSIPPI.

Not Missouri - MO.

We are hardly affected by the drought.

/ Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS #4  

This would work with heading Dairy farmers everywhere. Central Ark. in last 3 months 5 Dairys closed sometimes by cost of feed usually the banker is tired of holding the note.
If pedigreed cattle there is a auction on the farm if just grade cattle they are taken to the local sale and sold for meat prices. by the pound.
Everybody in the dairy business is hurt by dairys shutting down. feed suppliers the workers in the barn
tractor supply stores .
And there is a new wrinkle to these sales. And out of state buyer will bid and win the sale of cattle then have them hauled to a out of state barn pay the driver with a hot check that bounces. The owner when tries to get the cattle back finds the new buyer is protected by the legal system.
Small claims court is max. at 6 thousand. and if amount is higher need to go through the court system.
Lawyers =delays=cows not taken care of and soon disperced to who knows where there located. Loser is the dairymen. It is called Legal theft.
Any one else have this problem.
Buy a car with hot check and see if the legal system cares .What is the difference.
ken

/ Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS #5  
the dairy farmers around here are having a hard time too. It is a lot of work keeping all of the new toys clean and polished. NEW lexas sport utility, NEW motor home NEW 4x4 pickup New toyota new used selfpropeled chopper new bailer new used spray rig new rake new mower conditioner, ect. ect. and that is just one farm in one year. and that does not count the new add to the barn. I know that the weather is hard on people and I do care but I wonder, these same people are complaining about $$$$$$:confused3:

/ Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS #6  
I have mixed feelings about the article. When they say the "system failed us" I take that to mean a lot of different forces: multi-year drought, markets, farm bills, etc., combined to hammer these folks who probably feel they are doing all they can to overcome long odds to provide a wholesome and valuable product--as in bad things can happen to good people.

They would like to continue to pursue their chosen profession and way of life, but that doesn't seem possible. It leads to a Liberal's natural :) urge to "fix" a problem, but what would the fix be? Should FEMA or State-EMA recognize this as part of a disaster and truck in hay and grain for as long as it takes? Higher milk prices would help but are meaningless if the cows cannot be fed.

Or, this could be the first wave in some major agricultural shifts that changing long-term weather patterns force. Should we preserve the farmer's expertise and herd quality by relocating them to an area that will support them? Would they even be willing to accept that? And, there is the issue of all the support businesses and services that would be left dangling.

There are many things that could be done, I don't know what should be done.

/ Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS #7  
yes the droughts an feed prices affect the dairymen.when your giving $16 to $18/100 for your feed your loosing money.esp when you figure that the 100lbs of feed will feed 4 to 5 cows at a cost of $3.50 to $4.50 a cow.then you add in hay at triple price.the dairymen are going broke fast.now heres the big kicker the gov are forcing the dairies to move to other areas.an know what im talking about as im a retired dairymen.

/ Interesting read on Dairy Farmers in MS #8  
I have mixed feelings about the article. When they say the "system failed us" I take that to mean a lot of different forces: multi-year drought, markets, farm bills, etc., combined to hammer these folks who probably feel they are doing all they can to overcome long odds to provide a wholesome and valuable product--as in bad things can happen to good people.

They would like to continue to pursue their chosen profession and way of life, but that doesn't seem possible. It leads to a Liberal's natural :) urge to "fix" a problem, but what would the fix be? Should FEMA or State-EMA recognize this as part of a disaster and truck in hay and grain for as long as it takes? Higher milk prices would help but are meaningless if the cows cannot be fed.

Or, this could be the first wave in some major agricultural shifts that changing long-term weather patterns force. Should we preserve the farmer's expertise and herd quality by relocating them to an area that will support them? Would they even be willing to accept that? And, there is the issue of all the support businesses and services that would be left dangling.

There are many things that could be done, I don't know what should be done.

I fell the same way. I feel sorry for them, but there are a lot of folks who are a lot worse off these days.